Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Trekking around Oz

Trekking around Oz Where have you been? Where are you going? Report your trip.

Old 1 Week Ago

Hi Jared I did Fraser once before 10 years ago in a land cruiser - we left our van and glad we did - inskip point is a tough section but other parts on the island can be quite tough and inland is narrow and offen was busy when we where there. Iím going again in July with three other cars - they will all be towing - 2 jayco wind ups and a camper trailer - we will be leaving our penguin outback behind and just take the oztent onto Fraser for 7 days - I expect to be the recovery vehicle and am happy to not have headache of van - if two of you going seriously look at pooling facilities - one van for kitchen etc and then tent along side - tag team will reduce stress for all - itís doable but expect delays and some frustration if itís busy - again only been once so not super experienced but I know I was glad not to be towing 10 years ago - itís a must see destination - Iíll post up about our experiences in July with others towing
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Is the wheel track on your van the same as your car??

If they are, the trailer runs in the same line (and compressed sand) that your car wheels have gone through. If not, you are dragging them thru the soft stuff too, making it harder.

If you slow and slow to the point that you won’t make it, stop. Don’t spin the wheels. Go backwards over the sand you just compressed- then try going forward again. Try a different ratio and/or gear.
Spinning the wheels equals sinking deeper which equals harder recovery.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 1 Week Ago

I was there last month and watched all the YouTube clips on inskip point so let my tyres down to 18psi and it was easy. Reason was they had rain a few days earlier. I could have put them up once on Fraser but didn’t bother.

I didn’t have a van in tow but had my Pajero loaded up the family and stuff for a +3 week holiday so had a car full with fridge plus plus suitcases on the roof. I found the driving on the beach easier than what I drive on local beaches in the middle of summer so that wasn’t the hard part.

The poyungan rocks bypass would be interesting with a big van as it’s pretty steep going up on the southern section but the rocks had been covered with sand on the northern part so that would make it easier.

Now to the inland tracks. They are well well warn. Spoke to a guy there who had been going for 15yrs and he said he had never seen them like it before. The buses won’t give way and there isn’t too much room for a car to give way in many places let alone a car and van without getting bogged Everytime.

Coming out of kingfisher if you came from that side was getting pretty chewed up going east but it was passable so if you used that and stuck to the main roads it’s possible.

Don’t go anywhere near the other inland tracks with the van. Lake wabby to lake Mackenzie is brutal due to exposed tree roots, parts around lake Mackenzie are the same but it’s the big holes after the rain. All drivable but a long slow drive. Took 2.5hrs from lake wabby to lake Mackenzie and it’s about 25km so slow going in parts.

If your staying on the east side go hard at inskip point and make sure you hit Fraser just before low tide so you can make it where your going on the hard sand. I tow a 1.5t boat and drive it on the beach to launch it from time to time. I would take it on with the boat as long as I had friends for backup. Not sure I saw much on fraser that would have been over 1.5-2t.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Pauno; 1 Week Ago at 07:31 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Inskip Point video's have a lot of tools with high tyre pressures. It can be a bit soft around the time you are going. If you could pick up a set of cheap 17 or 16 inch rims, they would be better suited off road. Managing tyre pressures at that time of year will be important.

I run 33" AT tyres which helps a bit in those types of conditions. A set of 32" tyres would help, but your Torque Converter will unlock more frequently when running taller tyres. Pro's and con's to think about there.

Like others have said base camp on the eastern side. Somewhere just south of Indian Head should be good. The tracks across the island are usually chopped up at the best of times. At Xmas with the heat and traffic the tracks will be in poor condition. I wouldn't risk trying to get a van that big past Indian Head or similar bypass tracks. Best to reduce the stress levels and day trip from your base camp.

Plan your arrival and departure around the tides (low tide specifically). It's a great place, enjoy your trip.