• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTP
    • Mar 2015
    • Canberra

Pajero NX Bull Bar advice

I'm looking for opinions/advice on fitting a bull bar to an otherwise standard NX Pajero 'Exceed'. I've been looking at TJM, ECB and the genuine steel bars and each seems to have advantages/disadvantages. I'm not looking for the biggest and strongest bar, just something that will provide a better approach angle than the all plastic front, (no bull bar). Also something I can mount a light bar on and a UHF antenna. While nobody plans on hitting a roo, I will not be doing much night driving, mainly touring, sand/beach fishing trips. I will not be pushing through heavy bush tracks, nor do I see the need for a winch at the moment. I will also be fitting Boo's bash plates and a Rear Bumper Guard.

Those that have experience with, or own an NX with a genuine steel bar fitted, are there any other limitations, other than the obvious strength issue. Would you fit one again, or go aftermarket?

Advice appreciated.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

If you don't need the strength, why not a MM alloy bar ? Much lighter so weight over the front wheels isn't an issue.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• GTP
      • Mar 2015
      • Canberra

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
      If you don't need the strength, why not a MM alloy bar ? Much lighter so weight over the front wheels isn't an issue.
      While I don't think I need the strength of a heavy aftermarket bar, my logic was that the mm steel bar would be a bit stronger than the alloy bar and provide a bit of protection from small skippies. Is there much of a strength difference in reality?

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Don't know, I haven't hit anything yet

I just liked the lesser weight but also it will provide some protection. Brackets for an aerial or sand flag etc. are easy to add.

I thought I read somewhere that MM weren't doing a factory bar anymore ?
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Comment

• GTP
            • Mar 2015
            • Canberra

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Don't know, I haven't hit anything yet

I just liked the lesser weight but also it will provide some protection. Brackets for an aerial or sand flag etc. are easy to add.

I thought I read somewhere that MM weren't doing a factory bar anymore ?
            Haven't heard that, they still have it listed as an accessory. I'm sure dealers will have a few in stock for a while anyway. May get a good price?

I actually prefer the look of the factory bar to the aftermarket bars. Not sure how strong any of them would be hitting a big roo at 100km/h. Similarly, I'm not sure how the aftermarket bars impact of safety/airbags etc. They must have some impact in an accident.

Comment

• Roadblock
              • Apr 2010
              • Mackay, QLD

Pajero NX Bull Bar advice

We just bought a new NX Exceed to which the dealer had fitted a genuine MM steel bar for a sale that fell through. Now I’ve always had TJM / ARB bars on all our 4WDs but this car will likely never leave the blacktop and rarely see any big skippies (fingers crossed). The MM bar is definitely lighter construction but I do like the emphasis on compactness and cooling for the AT cooler. It definitely gives great approach angle, potentially better than the OE front spoiler as the forward protuberance is higher. In our case it helped because we essentially got the MM bar for free because they were keen to move the lot stock. They look great too as they retain the OE fog / LED DRL combo from the bumper. No provision for winch but I’d say you’d easily get a smaller LED bar on there. Not sure about spotties. Maybe some slimline LEDs? Don’t know why you would bother though, the exceed headlights are amazing and spotties might be a bit much for the auto high beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Cheers,
              Roadblock

2019 NX Exceed, Pearl White, MM Steel Bar, MM towbar, Provent 200 catch can, 140Ah Aux with Projecta IDC25 DC-DC Charger

Comment

• spudndud
                • May 2015
                • Merrigum Vic

NX Bullbar

I had one of the first ECB Alloy bars fitted when we bought our NX in 2015. At the time, ARB hadn’t developed a bar to accomodate the headlight washers, and MM didn’t have a winch compatible bar. Even though it’s alloy, mine is winch compatible, with the winch being housed in a separate steel cradle which actually doesn’t place any load on the bar. It’s lighter but thicker than most steel bars, and I have a 26” light bar mounted on top, and UHF aerial. The bar was also finished off nicely with custom plates on the underside which keeps all the crap out. Original DRLs are fitted in slots, but aftermarket fog lights are used. I’ve never hit anything with this bar, but have seen another NX with the same bar sustain a roo strike at 80km/h, with no damage.

Comment

• keenkean
                  • Jan 2016
                  • Central Coast NSW

I have TJM outback on my NX exceed, looks great but big bonus is it retains factory headlight washers unlike the ARB which requires further work. It’s also 63mm tube vs 50mm of ARB. I would happily buy the TJM again over ARB. The winch is hidden nicely behind a numberplate panel that lifts easily.

Comment

• Aze
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Melbourne

Hi all, I’m thinking about the same thing and was going to post asking the same thing. I was planning an ARB bar but like the factory drl retention in the factory bar. Has anyone actually hit Roos with the factory alloy or steel bar? I wouldn’t mind winch compatibility but am unlikely to go off road much, planning on it being a tourer and tow rig. I might check out tjm and ecb just for the sake of due diligence 😆
                    Aze
                    NJ 3.0L Auto

Comment

• oscaroo
                      • Dec 2017
                      • Sydney

Don't forget smartbars as an option.
                      If you don't need a winch it's only 33kgish. If you need a winch they're 46kg I think.

I think tjm/ARB is 60kg.

They're also plastic so the bumper itself will never rust. The mounts may.

Comment

• Satman
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Sydney

I second that re TJM bull bar. Have had it since 2016 and tickled a couple of skippies in the last 12 months with no damage just a mess - nothing a bit of soap could not fix.
                        NX GLS MY16 Auto: TJM Bull Bar | Paddlle Shift & P-Mate | MMTowbar | Spare Lift Kit | SPVi Module | Torque Pro App | Motorola UHF | Icom IC7000 HF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Boo’s Bash Plate complete set | PX07 Boss Air Compressor | Lightbar | SC-80 & AGM 100A rear seat well | Bonnet struts | Custom built Drawer & Fridge slide.

Comment

• GTP
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Canberra

Originally posted by Satman View Post
                          I second that re TJM bull bar. Have had it since 2016 and tickled a couple of skippies in the last 12 months with no damage just a mess - nothing a bit of soap could not fix.
                          Could you tell me how much of the original front bar is cut off when installing the TJM bar. I understand it is a cut job, rather than just removing the lower bar section as is done with a factory bull bar. Not sure if a picture is posable, but would be good if you can. I tried to find the install instructions for the TJM bar to get an idea, but could not find them on the web.

Comment

• keenkean
                            • Jan 2016
                            • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by GTP View Post
                            Could you tell me how much of the original front bar is cut off when installing the TJM bar. I understand it is a cut job, rather than just removing the lower bar section as is done with a factory bull bar. Not sure if a picture is posable, but would be good if you can. I tried to find the install instructions for the TJM bar to get an idea, but could not find them on the web.

If you search for forum member WhipIt, he has posted heaps of good photos of this bar on an NX.

Comment

• pharb
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Tyers,Vic

Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB bar. Kept warn winch which was equipped with synthetic rope.

Weighed all the bits that came off and went on. 49kg vs 62kg. 13kg difference.

The Smart bar neded more cut out of bumper than the ARB. All the difference is around inside of headlights. I've got to much space between ARB bar and headlights. Purely cosmetic issue. Had to,cut more out of bumper around towards mud guards to accommodate ARB wings.

Smarbar has big subframe it is mounted on. It was very rusty when I removed it. This might not be needed if not fitting winch. Might save weight as well.

Had trouble removing Smartbar as the steel inserts mounted in plastic started turning due to minor
                              corrosion on bolts.
                              PCOV Member 1107.
                              Daily driver NX GLX
                              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X