• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

63kg is an easy lift for one or two people. Making a side loader would be easy. Probably get away with a small hand winch that can be disconnected to save roof rack weight. Mine at 90kg is another issue! However even my 3.7 , deep sided outback explorer I am a tad nervous in top end rivers. Had a 5 meter water gecko launch off the bank about 50 meters in front of us and it put the wind up us. Chap at the camping ground (the owner) said that a bloke was killed about 4 years ago where we launch. Apparently he was putting a crab pot in and the lizard grabbed him. They found his camera and some body parts. The 5 meter lizard was shot. However, as is usual, another large one came along and took up residence. Lucky you don't have these issues down south!
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
      • Aug 2012
      • Brisbane, Southside

Oh I had to laugh, initially thinking geckos grew really big up there until I realised you were talking about the long tailed, short legged, long nose terriers. No, definitely not thinking of doing too much in those waters.
      Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
      Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

When you get it sorted post up a few photos and details. May help others who are considering the same thing..

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          63kg is an easy lift for one or two people!
          There is not too many regular people that can easily lift 32kgs above their heads and move it sideways on and off a roof rack, so a boat loader really is required for safe handling.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• ron2503
            • Dec 2017
            • Alex Hills

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Hi Ron,

Can you please post the links, hopefully there will be some photos that may give an idea of the cause of the problem.

It is quite common for aftermarket accessories to cause failures of vehicle structures because the accessories are over engineered and do not work in harmony with the factory structures. Winch bars, dual battery trays, towbars, roof racks, long range fuel tanks and even suspension systems have all been known to cause failures of vehicle structures.

OJ.
            OJ here is a link to one of the failures. https://m.facebook.com/groups/168468...70336406561589
            2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
            Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
            Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              There is not too many regular people that can easily lift 32kgs above their heads and move it sideways on and off a roof rack, so a boat loader really is required for safe handling.

OJ.

Anyone having a roof mounted boat would also have a winch Jack. I know from experience just how bloody awkward and difficult it can be just lifting a spare wheel and tyre onto a roof rack. Thats why I suggested he may get a small handwinch to do the job as in the scheme of things it will only be sliding 63kg up a slide. Small electric one would also do it. I use an electric one to haul my boat over the back of the camper. Would also be quite possible for two people to slide a 63kg boat up sideways onto the roof as a lot of the weight will be on the slides and when it reaches the top a lot is transferred to the roof rack. No way would I be advocating two people simply lift a 63kg boat onto a roof rack...apart from possible injured back there would be a good chance of lovely paint scrapes and dents from the boat if it slipped..
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks for the clarification Dicko.
                I thought that maybe they were adding steroids into the water in FNQ!

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Brisbane, Southside

Yes good advice Dick/OJ and that’s what the front yard loading trials will be all about, can we safely load or not. But the first approach will be a simple turn the boat on its side and a vertical lift to tip the boat onto the bars, then it should be two people lifting a bit over 32kg and sliding it across.

I’ll post up full pictures of the setup and trial, I’m really trying to keep it simple and carry the least amount of handling equipment.
                  Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                    Yes good advice Dick/OJ and that’s what the front yard loading trials will be all about, can we safely load or not. But the first approach will be a simple turn the boat on its side and a vertical lift to tip the boat onto the bars, then it should be two people lifting a bit over 32kg and sliding it across.

I’ll post up full pictures of the setup and trial, I’m really trying to keep it simple and carry the least amount of handling equipment.

I reckon it will end in tears!! Get2 collapsible aluminum sliding rails made up and mount a small winch. . One small slip and you wouldn't be the first to stuff his back or leave large scratch marks on the car. Also you may not have the luxury of another person. Mine goes onto a camper top with the aid of a winch. My 15hp motor also goes on a camper top with its own dedicated winch as well. I can do the load/unload by myself if I have to. 2 cross bars with 2 longitudinal brackets and have 2 aluminum sliders from the longitudinal bar to the ground will be so much safer and easier. . Even if 2 of you push the boat up it will be easier than lifting. A small winch would be a godsend though. Check out you-tube for ideas
                    p.s. Jack....no steroids in the water but there must be something toxic...look at the pollies we produce!!
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Brisbane, Southside

Roof Top Tinny - Viable for Paj Sport?

Well its been quite a project but finally got the Stacer 319 Tinny mounted on the Pajero Sport roof.

Its been quite a project where initially I ruled out a conventional boat loader because of the roof top load limit of 80kg and decided to build my own rear loading device, but with mixed success.

The homebuilt version consisted of three Rhino roof bars placed one forward and one back as far as possible, with one in the middle. I then fabricated two Aluminium bars that incorporated rollers, these clamped onto the back two racks, supported by. a steady attached to the tow bar. An electric winch clamped on the bullbar. For travel, I fabricated an Al strut to attach to the boat for extra security. It worked, but:

*It took just under an hour to rig it and load/unload the boat
                      *The roller arms and rear steady and winch had to be stored for travel, and worst of all;
                      *I was just not happy with the security of the Rhino racks, supposedly good for 80kg but combined with the roof rails which are attached with ONE bolt and a plastic plug on either end it never really looked the goods. I did a couple of 400 km each way trips with it with no issues but.....:dunno[1]
                      *But it did prove the PS could comfortably carry the tinny, handling and ride were fine and the upgraded rear springs played a part in this I’m sure

So I bit the bullet and called ALMAC in Bundaberg and arranged a visit where they reckoned they could fit their boat loader and try to limit the weight to about 20kg which would sort of scrape in around the 80kg with my 63kg tinny.

The plan was that my boat loader would dispense with the mesh floor as I couldn't afford any cargo up there anyway. But this was a big ask and the loader ended. up coming in a bit over 35kg, but I've mitigated that by travelling with the winch and rear rollers removed which brings the boatloader back to just on 26kg, little over but very securely fastened on. The loader works perfectly.

The photos below show the arrangement where they custom manufactured six SS brackets to bolt directly into the existing roof rail and end cap attachment points, so the twelve existing bolts secure the brackets, the rack bolts to the brackets. The fit was neat and gets the tinny as close as possible to the roof and with a slight downwards attitude on the tinny.

Finally, also in the photos is a layout of my rear cargo area where the fridge is secured to adjustable rails (did away with the fridge slide to save weight) and the 9.9HP Mercury is securely attached to a bolted in, Almac outboard slide, which allows safe carriage and easy loading.

The golden question its how does the vehicle weight work.

Well I weighed the loaded vehicle and with two passengers and a 182kg ball weight the car weights in at 2780kg. So for travel with the boat loaded, I'll be removing both rear seats and some nonessential loose gear which will bring it all just under the 2710 allowable GVM.

I hope this helps those that may be considering doing this modification, I'm pretty happy with the result, but as always, with hindsight I'd get Almac to work a little harder at reducing the boatloader weight as its really bulletproof as fitted and could easily lose some weight. They're really accommodating and very good to work with.

But best of all, I don't need to go to a 200 Series LC, the PS does it all so well, just love that car.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Greg Grey Grumbly; 04-05-20, 06:11 PM.
                      Greg Grey Grumbly

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Glad you have it sorted. Not a cheap solution but a good one!! Almac make some good gear. I have their collapsing portable trailer, which I registered and fits on the camper.. I also slide my motor (20hp 4 stroke honda) into the rear of the Pajero but I only need to fold the rear seats and not remove them . I am under weight now that I removed 2 x 120 amp agm,s and went lithium. Camper gets all the weight now!!. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy your holidays more with the boat. See how you go....you might even consider the collapsible trailer (will fit across a bar on the rear of a caravan and only weighs about 40kg....just makes launching and retrieving boat easier!!. Anyway enjoy your set up and tight lines...
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Brisbane, Southside

Rooftop Tinny Is it Viable

Yes the Almac guys are very good can-do engineers, very happy with their product. I would have bought their trailer but I already have a W.A.built Mangrove Jack which I like, and yes, it fits neatly on the back of the caravan.

Weight will always be the enemy, but it’s manageable with the rear seats removed and more sensible packing. Might have to consider a lithium battery when the AGM dies as it lives in the cargo area as well in front of the fridge.

Greg
                          Greg Grey Grumbly

Comment

• GeorgeJ
                            • Nov 2017
                            • Mandurah

Rooftop loads

I was also looking at a roof rack. After removing the factory fitted roof rails and seeing the 6 off small strips of metal (about 15mm wide by 1.2mm thick) that are spot welded to the car body, there is no way I'd fit anything other than a couple of roof bars to the existing factory fitted rails. A backbone system bolted to a rack is a rigid system and doesn't allow any flex, ie rectangle flexing to a parallelogram as the car goes over uneven terrain. Read the wording of any guarantees carefully to ensure the connection to the car is also covered. The break of a rigid roof rack (roof rack to car) will occur at the weakest point & that will be at the 6 small strips of metal spot welded to the car roof. When that happens, I hope you're not in the bush.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Brisbane, Southside

Rooftop Loads

Thanks for your concern George, but I’d much rather have a tinny attached to a proper boat loader by the six M6 bolts on each side than rely on the weak as p.... roof rails which are rated by the manufacturer to carry 80kg and held on by one bolt and two plastic plugs at each end, And then with three roof bars which are equally suspect.

I don’t know how much you think the roof will flex but I’d anticipate very little. Rest assured, I’ll let you all know if I have any issues.

Greg
                              Greg Grey Grumbly

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X