Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

The Black in Fuel Filters

Received email form Bailey Diesel today:

Tech-Tip: Black Fuel Filters - what you need to know
    Black fuel filters is a pretty prevalent issue in our experience here in our own vehicle shop. We got given a top tip from the BP Global Fuel Technology Team that we thought was too good not to share.
    Enjoy

New video clip by Bailey Diesel.

Essentially they are saying 99% of times black in filters is algae growth. The top tip is treat tank with doses of algae growth prohibitors rather than continuous treatment as resistance to treatment occurs.

Must admit I've never use an anti algae growth product in the Paj.

Your thoughts

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • basil
    • Apr 2012
    • Gembrook

I have never had even a discoloured filter Hill since using fuel additives. I am doing the main filter every 50,000 now and the 3 micron second filter every 30,000. Both are as clean as a whistle and don't need to be changed really.
    A decent fuel additive will keep them like new, with only solid particles being caught.
    I have to agree.

Cheers,

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

Basil
      Interesting info re filter change intervals.

An alternative explanation to the black in fuel filters is asphaltenes. The distinguishing feature between these and algae is that algae is generally slimy.

Below is some infor re asphaltenes.

from https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...fuel-filter-be

Don't be alarmed at the charcoal gray/black color of the filtering media from your used fuel filter. This is tarry, organic particles that naturally occur in #2 diesel fuels called asphaltenes. They are generally thought to be in the one-half to two micron range and are harmless to the diesel fuel injection system because they are soft and pliable.

Concentrations of asphaltenes in diesel fuel vary widely and can increase through heat and fuel oxidation. As these tiny particles pass through the filter media, they tend to stick to the fibers of the media. A build up of asphaltenes is the normal mechanism that plugs filters, not hard particles. This is different than the black slime (dead algae) that sometimes is seen in diesel fuel. That is a microbial problem, and not a normal occurrence.

Some additional reading:

I'm not sure Bailey's have this one right re 99% of black filter being algae growth. The bit they have got right is the dosage intervals when treating fuel for algae growth.
      The black I see in my fuel filters is not slimy.
      It could be Bailey's sample group ie people won't take their vehicles to them when they are running fine!!

Hill
      Last edited by Hill; 18-11-17, 10:40 AM.
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• basil
        • Apr 2012
        • Gembrook

I can't seem to load the page there for some reason Hill.
        I would be interested in reading them.
        Could you possibly try again mate.

Cheers Hill.

Comment

• Hill
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Adelaide

My Bad. Something happened to hyperlinks.

Diesel engines are used in all sorts of industries due to their efficiency, cleaner exhaust and better reliability in extreme temperatures. But they can fall victim to contaminants including dirt, water and bacteria. Here's what you need to know about contamination in diesel fuel and how to filter contaminants out for better efficiency.

I change my fuel filter every 6,000-7,000 miles. The last one I changed seemed really dirty, a dark charcoal color. Is this normal, or did I get some...

Hill
          200 Series
          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X