• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xl76
    • Mar 2017
    • Perth

Bilstein shocks

We have been having ongoing suspension issues with out Ps from new and was wondering if anybody found if Bilstein shocks eliminated the small bump jaring sensation or is there any other shocks that may be beter.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Xl76 View Post
    We have been having ongoing suspension issues with out Ps from new and was wondering if anybody found if Bilstein shocks eliminated the small bump jaring sensation or is there any other shocks that may be beter.
    The PB/PC Challenger suffers a similar issue and I think the suspension geometry is similar. First thing to look at is tyre pressures, if the tyre pressures are too high then this transfers move abrupt shock loads to the suspension. On the Challenger MM recommend 29 psi which is way lower than most people run and Dealer Service Departments inflate to, so the first thing to do is experiment with tyre pressures.

Blistien's are high pressure mono shocks and exert considerable force, you cannot compress them by hand, when I have tested leaky Bilstiens they have taken over 100kgs of force, new Bilsteins are way in excess of 130kgs (the limit I can test to). The main role a shocker plays is to control the rebound (extension movement) of the spring but do contribute slightly to compression control.

If you go ahead and change front shockers then for an extra few hundred dollars you can change springs also, but before you do this you must know what your final front axle load is going to be and if you want standard ride height or raised ride height. There is no point changing the front suspension and then adding a bulbar, winch, second battery and or underbody plates because you will have the wrong springs and ride height. There is a range of aftermarket springs available that go from softer and standard height compared to factory, to taller and firmer than factory, there are even some progressive/variable rate springs available now, that in theory should give you a better/comfortable ride.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BorgPS17
      • Mar 2017
      • melbourne

strange, do not have this problem...?

have had my PS from NEW.

usually tyre psi is about 35.
      Pajero Sport QE 20016
      Smart Bar
      Boos Bash Plates
      7 inch LED Driving Lights
      Domin8R X 12,000 Winch with Rope

Comment

• Nairbr
        • Feb 2016
        • Perth

I'm on to my second PS, my first one suffered this problem but the second one doesn't at all.
        I wonder if there was a slight change to the rear suspension between the 2 that were built 6 months apart.

Comment

• Xl76
          • Mar 2017
          • Perth

Thanks for the info OJ
          Mitsubishi have changed all the shocks ,control arms and tailshaft which have improved the vibration and harshness to a degree but the ride is still atrocious.
          This is my ninth 4x4 but my first Mitsubishi so mabe my expectations are to high .Around town it drives fine but on the open road even small bumps jar. The tire presures are 29 and 32 cold this makes the ride slightly beter but feathering are starting show on the edges of the tire.
          Mitsubishi replaced the shocks and control arms straight of a new exceed ,this was why I was wondering if Bilstiens may improve the harshness.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Xl76 View Post
            Thanks for the info OJ
            Mitsubishi have changed all the shocks ,control arms and tailshaft which have improved the vibration and harshness to a degree but the ride is still atrocious.
            This is my ninth 4x4 but my first Mitsubishi so mabe my expectations are to high .Around town it drives fine but on the open road even small bumps jar. The tire presures are 29 and 32 cold this makes the ride slightly beter but feathering are starting show on the edges of the tire.
            Mitsubishi replaced the shocks and control arms straight of a new exceed ,this was why I was wondering if Bilstiens may improve the harshness.
            Vibration as well ?
            Have you driven another PS of the same spec and does it have the same problems?

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Xl76
              • Mar 2017
              • Perth

Hello OJ
              We have now driven 5 others and only one was simalar but they are all stock . I havent driven one with modified suspension yet .
              The best way to discribe the vibration is like a out of balanced wheel if you hit a bump it will continue for a while and then settle down .Mitsubishi have acknowledged the issue but cant correct it completly, so I am starting the journey myself to correct this
              Cant say to much for legal reasons

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

If it is a bent chassis or suspension mounting point welded not straight then no amount of aftermarket suspension replacement will solve the problem. Alarm bells are ringing and the little voice in my head is saying "warranty replacement". There can be serious problem long term caused by a skewed chassis and vibrations, better to have the pain and angst now to get it sorted out. Good start that Dealer has a knowledges problem exist and has tried to rectify, and was not successful.

OJ.

Comment

• Xl76
                  • Mar 2017
                  • Perth

Yes Its been 9 months of fighting with Mitsubishi Australia and the State service manager has now gone .Now Mitsubishi wont contact us,still trying to stay positive.

Comment

• maddog52
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Nowra

PS and Bilstein shocks

Firstly thanks very much for all the comments regarding suspension upgrades; it has helped me decide which way to go on my 2016 PS. I have experienced similar responses from Mitsubishi and have elected to make my own changes. I fitted Poly air bags earlier this year to try to take some of the bounce out of the rear end when towing. I found they did not meet my expectations due to the dual action rear springs but they did improve handling.

Based on a lot of owner comments my next decision was to install bilstein B6 shocks (B45 H42 front and B46 1333 rear). Best decision I have made. I am impressed with the results especially in reducing bounce and optimising front end control particularly when traversing pot holes and undulations on a diagonal. My main reason for the change is to improve black top and off road towing and I am looking forward to putting the new bilsteins to the test. I do not think I will pursue after market springs. I am happy with the softer ride and now more responsive suspension. Hope my experience helps.

Doug

Comment

• Xl76
                      • Mar 2017
                      • Perth

Thanks for the info .did it reduce any of the harsh jaring over small bumps and joins in the road at all?

Comment

• drof
                        • Sep 2010
                        • South Australia

Our PS was pretty 'rough' with the stock suspension. Quite choppy and a lot of feedback. Was worse than The Challenger we changed over from (that had an Ultimate Suspension kit in it - but quite a 'firm' tune in both valving and rear springs).

Have just fitted an Ultimate Suspension kit in the PS with custom valving and Dobinson Springs. The difference is incredible. I honestly have never had a suspension setup as good as this latest one. Even my mechanic commented on it without any prompting on the suspension.

Also installed the Old Jacks recommended 'Pedders 5899' extended bump stops which are brilliant when there's a load in the back.

Recently got back from 2000km through The Flinders Ranges, with heavy camper trailer on back and fully loaded and the new suspension was excellent.

The stock PS suspension was pretty poor IMO, especially the shock valving which to be over done in compression dampening and way under cooked for rebound dampening.

Comment

• hansd
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Perth

Hi Drof,

Which springs did you use? Did you install air bags?

Cheers
                          Hans
                          2016 Pajero Sport GLS, Smartbar, Falken AT3W 265/70R17, CSA Renegade 17x8, Custom Offroad Bash Plates, Milford Towbar, Front Bilstein and KCFR-55, Rear Bilstein and KCRR-23HD with Pedders 5899, Outback Accessories Tank, TJM Airtec snorkel, GME TX3350

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X