• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sooby
    • Jan 2015
    • Canberra

ArkPak question

Hello
    I have an ArkPak in the rear of my NW. I have been successfully using it for some time.
    I have the both the 230v and 12v power supplies for it.
    Recently, cables have been run from the engine bay to the rear and an Anderson Plug fitted (by an auto sparky). I will most likely fit an isolator (I certainly will if my theory, below, is correct)
    I am aware of smart chargers and smart alternators etc. However, I regard auto electrics as a “black art”.
    My question is –
    For trips of a week or so can I simply run the power lead (and Anderson Plug) into the Anderson Plug on the ArkPak?
    The car will be used every day of the trip. The fridge is not for camping use.
    I would not turn the ArkPak’s charger on. I would leave our small fridge permanently plugged in to the ArkPak during the day.
    This would give me a “simple” dual battery set up for short term use.
    I realise I could leave the ArkPak’s charger on but I don’t want to as the manufacturer advises against charging (via the smart charger) and discharging at the same time.
    Is there a qualified sparky out there that may be able to help please?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Les PK Ranger
    • Dec 2015
    • Adelaide

I've had the Arkpak in the Ranger for some time now, with a decent 100amp/hr AGM battery.

Initially, I used their 12v charger during the day touring on trips to recharge the battery while driving, and just plugged the fridge into another port on the HD dual ciggy bank fitted back of cabin (fridge behind pax seat).
    When I'd stop for the day, I'd unplug the charger, set up camp, and say an hour after arrival, I'd unplug the fridge from the car power and plug into the Arkpak for the evening.
    This worked fine, but I had 2 chargers stuff up on me and decided to set it up just like a decent dual battery system.

I wan initially reluctant to do this, as anything other than the 12v or 240v Ark chargers bypass the smart charge, and that is what you are paying a lot of $ for with this unit.
    Otherwise, you could buy a decent battery box for half the Ark price from the outset and set up as I did.

Used a VSR all fused properly, big dual core wiring and Anderson plug to Ark.
    No more probs and it all works beaut.

The 100 amp/hr easily charges in about 2 hours next day, or the Ark battery will last me 2 days easy camping running fridge and simple led lighting.
    The 12v charger wasn't too bad, next day touring after a nights use would see the battery recharge in about 5 hrs.
    It was just a hassle when the 2 12v ones blew, one in the north Simpson which was not fun.
    Luckily my dual ciggy end back up allowed me to top off 2nd batt ok driving each day, just a metre long HD cable with plugs each end, one to the car source, one to the ark ciggy, got to leave the switch open of course to charge like this or via Anderson input, but got me out of strife.

I also found I could run the fridge overnight form the car if I really HAD to, started fine each day when I did this a couple of times, but of course it is not ideal to take the risk of flattening your main . . . better to turn off before retiring for hte night and it only goes up 5 to 10 degrees by breaking camp next morning.

I also now carry either the 100w or 150w Ridge Ryder folding solar blanket as a back up charging option.

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

• Sooby
      • Jan 2015
      • Canberra

Thanks for the informative response.

Looks like my plan will work.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X