Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Cold rattle/tick - replaced injectors, valves adjusted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrillhouse
    • Nov 2019
    • Queensland

Hi brains trust,

Just another update: car is running all good. No whistles (it was an air leak), fuel economy is good.

The cold rattle is still there. I’m trying to just ignore it! You don’t hear it if you’re just gentle putting around. It only happens if you’re getting up in the rev-range (close to 3k). Disappears when it is warm.

Now that the valves have been adjusted, injectors replaced - I’m thinking perhaps it is glow plugs?

I’ll try and get a video soon.

I feel if it were chain guides, or valves, the rattle would be constant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Chain guides in the Gen4 are robust unlike the Gen3. Has the tensioner been replaced under the recall?

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I am assuming it is a diesel engine, not petrol. If so, it is not the glow plugs. They only 'fire up' for a few seconds when the engine is cold and there is nothing moving in them anyway. It is probably one tappet loose.

Comment

• thrillhouse
          • Nov 2019
          • Queensland

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          Chain guides in the Gen4 are robust unlike the Gen3. Has the tensioner been replaced under the recall?

I did call a service centre and they said it was done as part of that recall in 2013. But another service centre said it didn’t need doing [emoji23]? So I’m gonna assume it has!

If it were the tensioner, would it not make the sound 24/7? Rather than just when cold?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

I did call a service centre and they said it was done as part of that recall in 2013.

Recall wasn't issued till Feb 2015.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • South Africa, East London

reset the tensioner.

1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
              2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
              2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
              2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• thrillhouse
                • Nov 2019
                • Queensland

Interesting! I will explore the tensioner issue and I’ll call another (a third) service centre to enquire.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Camz
                  • May 2020
                  • NZ

Hi, when I brought my NT it had a terrible rattle on cold start up. It sounded a bit like cam chain rattle, especially if you gave it a small rev and let it idle down. After searching on here I replaced the 3 belts off the alternator and steering, rattle disappeared instantly. Belts were oem Mitsi that we’re still on it and very perished. I was the first owner in NZ from a fresh import. Could of been 2011 original belts.

Comment

• Stacho
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Perth

Same as above. Still stumped how belts did it but it helped. Mine got quieter after initially tensioning more so must have been idler pulley on it way. That got replaced with the new belts.

Comment

• thrillhouse
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by Camz View Post
                      Hi, when I brought my NT it had a terrible rattle on cold start up. It sounded a bit like cam chain rattle, especially if you gave it a small rev and let it idle down. After searching on here I replaced the 3 belts off the alternator and steering, rattle disappeared instantly. Belts were oem Mitsi that we’re still on it and very perished. I was the first owner in NZ from a fresh import. Could of been 2011 original belts.

I’ve just recently done these belts too as they were very squeaky, but I don’t think this noise is related to that. It certainly didn’t go away!

The most puzzling thing I think is it is only temporary: the rattle only happens above say 2600/2800, only if you’re on the gas, and it disappears once at operating temp.

I had injectors replaced, I wonder if cold diesel (glow plug) could also cause this rattle? As everyone I’ve taken it to has said it sounds fuel-related.

I’m going to explore this tensioner route too.

We’re hoping to drive Brisbane-Adelaide and back for Christmas (borders pending) so hoping to get this sorted prior! Although does not appear to affect drivability at all. It just hurts my OCD [emoji38] (and worried could lead to something big lol)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X