• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPJero
    • May 2019
    • QLD

Projecta IDC25 wiring woes

Hi guys,
    So I have posted in other threads but I think I need to start my own thread as I'm very confused and I bet people will end up with the same issue.
    Anyways, so I wired up a new Projecta ICD25 to my battery box in the third row storage (aux) without solar but with a smart alternator > so I must / connected the ignition wire. I mounted the LED indicator light near my centre console. The only way I could get any lights on the DCDC charger was if the battery box was turned on. The blue AGM light would flash every 8 seconds but that was it. The LED indicator light never lights up. I can only get it to light up briefly if i press and hold 'mode' on the charger and while the unit figures out what battery type I have is. Then it goes off.
    After some extensive googling and help from member Moreville in this thread, he pointed out that I did not ground my battery box to anything. So, off to the garage and I grounded the - of the battery box to the chassis. So in essence the charger ground wire is connected to the - post of the battery box and another cable from the - post to chassis. When I connected this, the lights of the charger lit up, sweet! I thought...
    Upon looking at the leds, with car off. (there was no change to any leds with the car running for 10 minutes)
    • AGM - blue flashing consistently (not 8 seconds)
    • Charging - green steady... or is it amber...or red?! (see photos below)
    • Alternator - definitely green
    • LED indicator - off

Bear in mind, these photos are taken looking from the passenger side rear door towards the back window. The dcdc charger is vertical because it is mounted to the side of my drawers and the drawers are on end so I can access the aux battery wiring. (when complete, the charger leds will face skywards).
    In the first view, the charging led appears green, however, I dropped something and as I was standing to pick it up, the charging led appears amber...or maybe red?! Depending on the viewing angle of the led

This view, taken 2 seconds later, no wiring changes

Gif

Because I can't decipher if the charging led is green, amber or red, I can't figure out what the fault is! The aux battery box display read 12.9V. There was no change to any of the LEDs with the car running. At some angles the solar LED appears to be amber as well.
    The manual says:
    • Charging LED = solid green & AGM = flashing blue, then it's in Equalisation Charge.
    • Charging LED = solid red & AGM = flashing blue, then Fault is 'Output battery is reversely Connected' and the Remedy is 'Check output cable connection'.
    • Charging LED = solid amber & AGM = flashing blue, then Fault is 'Output open circuit or dead battery' and the Remedy is 'Check aux battery voltage & cable connections'

I am at a complete loss right now. I have disconnected the ground of the - aux battery and turned off the battery box so that no leds on the charger light up while I try to get this sorted
    Last edited by KPJero; 09-02-20, 01:51 PM.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Charging LED = solid amber & AGM = flashing blue, then Fault is 'Output open circuit or dead battery' and the Remedy is 'Check aux battery voltage & cable connections'

I think you said you have a use between the unit and the pos wire to battery...you dont need it. I,ve never had one on my Projecta or my Redarc. My new Enerdrive doesnt have one either. The fuse could be the issue..or depending on the connection. If you used a single anderson plug is the terminal in the plug actually locked into position? I,ve had them come adrift and although you think they are alright the contacts are not contacting.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• KPJero
      • May 2019
      • QLD

By George I think I got it.
      I checked all my connections starting with the positive from the charger to the aux battery. Everything was all good. So I moved onto the ignition wire. The little er decided to disconnect itself from the unit. So, recrimped it and went for a test drive. The alternator light stays on, the charging light stays on, which indicates 'float charge' (Whatever that means). Turn the car off and no leds are present. After the drive, the aux battery was at 14.7V.

Does this sound like it's working guys? I don't really understand bulk vs float vs equalisation charge. I just want my damn aux battery to charge when it's required...
      Last edited by KPJero; 09-02-20, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by KPJero View Post
        By Geroge I think I got it.
        I checked all my connections starting with the positive from the charger to the aux battery. Everything was all good. So I moved onto the ignition wire. The little er decided to disconnect itself from the unit. So, recrimped it and went for a test drive. The alternator light stays on, the charging light stays on, which indicates 'float charge' (Whatever that means). Turn the car off and no leds are present. After the drive, the aux battery was at 14.7V.

Does this sound like it's working guys? I don't really understand bulk vs float vs equalisation charge. I just want my damn aux battery to charge when it's required...

Sounds good. I knew it was a connector or wiring stuff up. Dont worry about bulk, absorption or float...the Projecta will look after that. Google bulk, abs and float and read up....a little bit of knowledge can go a long way.

I,ve had many a drama in years gone by with the blade type connectors. Best thing ever invented is the solder in the connector type. Now sit back and enjoy . Like most of us...you,ll learn from your mistakes.
        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Charger will look after modes

Bulk she's flat enough to accept full blast charge, absorbtion she's getting there & float she's charged
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• barty59
            • Mar 2013
            • perth

same issue

I have just installed the same unit and I am having the same issue. I have checked my blue cable and I am getting voltage as it enters the DCDC charger, so no issue with cable breaks?
            The AGM is flashing the Alternator is green and charging is Amber. went right through wiring again and cant find the issue?
            Any suggestions? I can post details of how i have wired it.
            John

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by barty59 View Post
              I have just installed the same unit and I am having the same issue. I have checked my blue cable and I am getting voltage as it enters the DCDC charger, so no issue with cable breaks?
              The AGM is flashing the Alternator is green and charging is Amber. went right through wiring again and cant find the issue?
              Any suggestions? I can post details of how i have wired it.
              John

Explain how you wired it..BUT before posting to us....get the install booklet and trace one wire at a time, double check connectors. Make sure earths are as per instructions.
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• GeorgeJ
                • Nov 2017
                • Mandurah

Have you tried contacting Projector help line, apparently they are quite helpful

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X