• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfer
    • Aug 2013
    • Newcastle, NSW

Surging/pulsing when crusing

Hi, Currently having a issue with my 2010 NT surging/pulsing when cruising 90-100 kph. It does it with cruise control on and if i hold it steady without cruise. Goes away when accelerating and when foot is off the pedal coasting.

Have done a few searches but seems to relate back to the NS model, was wondering if anyone has had issues with this on the NT or what it may be.
    I have 1 hour drives to and from work which consists of suburban and highway/country roads. My car just clocked over 130,000km (goes quick when you do 120km's 5 days a week. ) so hoping its nothing too major.

Cheers,
    Duncan
    2010 NT Pajero GL Manual
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Duncan,

Do you have an Auto trans?

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dfer
      • Aug 2013
      • Newcastle, NSW

Hi,

Its a manual

I really should update my profile/signature..

cheers
      2010 NT Pajero GL Manual

Comment

• brett
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007

There is a problem with the cruise control in early NTs. On a slight down hill run at about 80kmh or higher it starts surging and jerking. There was a software update for this.

Comment

• dfer
          • Aug 2013
          • Newcastle, NSW

Hopefully might be the problem but the roads I travel on are flat and I've only just noticed it
          2010 NT Pajero GL Manual

Comment

• Muzza
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Nsw

I have a new NW and it surges at 90 to 110 on good flat road and of course the dealer can't get it to do it.
            Muzza
            2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
            2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
            2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

SCV on the way out maybe ?
              If it is related to SCV, then I've read that rotating the SCV by 180 degrees will sometimes remedy the problem (temporarily). Easy enough to try.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Mac1
                • Jul 2014
                • Adelaide

There is a 'fix'

I experienced the exact same 'hunting' in my manual NT Paj

Australian Motors service manager in Adelaide initially told me that hunting is nothing to do with the cruise control but other engine management systems.

I contacted Mitsubishi direct and after reading their " we only make the cars we don't have anything more to do with them" disclaimer they did state that there was possibly a software update for my vehicle - I gave them the VIN.

The update was carried out (or so I was told when I collected the car) and something certainly seems to have stopped - or at least markedly reduced - the hunting.

Comment

• brett
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

If it only does it with the cruise control on then the software update will fix it. But if your getting the same problem with no cruise control then it's something else and the cruise update will not fix it. with the cruise problem it's at its worst on a very slight down hill run.

Comment

• Exceeded
                    • Feb 2017
                    • Newcastle/NSW

Originally posted by brett View Post
                    If it only does it with the cruise control on then the software update will fix it. But if your getting the same problem with no cruise control then it's something else and the cruise update will not fix it. with the cruise problem it's at its worst on a very slight down hill run.
                    I have the same problem and tried to speak to MMAL but there is no tech support. Figures. Spoke to the local dealers tech who said he had never heard of a software update. They were going to spend a few hours buggering around with diagnostics and they would then come back and say there was nothing wrong. I cancelled to booking. I don't beleive they know what they are doing

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • South Africa, East London

Stop searching and change the suction control valve.

Here in South Africa the Nissan dealers sells it at a third of the price.

The early gen4s had a short body SCV, the later models a long body SCV (google image the part numbers)

If you have an ATF dipstick, the Nissan part number is A6860VM09A
                      If you don't have a dipstick the part numbers are
                      Mitsu SCV part number : 1460A049
                      Nissan part number : A6860AW42B
                      Denso part number : 294200-0660

The Nissan SCV is about a third of the price of the Mitsu one even though it's the same part.
                      Last edited by 4ePikanini; 04-08-20, 05:30 PM.
                      1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                      2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                      2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                      2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Victoria

Is your manifold blocked?
                        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Peterng
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Northern Rivers NSW

Get the Suction Control Valve analysed..
                          I had the same problem..surging whilst on cruise control..breaking down on accretion and over 2000RPM..similar to "missing points" in a petrol engine.
                          I had the Suction Control Valve checked on the analyser...result..badly worn.
                          I bought a Suction Control Valve from a supplier..quoted my VIN to them..as there are 2 types of SVC ..one long body and the other short body.
                          Also got an OEM..Denso SCV..12 months warranty.
                          now...all good.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X