• Show
Clear All
  • AJC
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • ACT

Airbox repair

Hi,

My NP DiD airbox bottom half has had one of the two plastic inverted "U" (that the plastic tongue on the top half secures into) crack off.

Anyone else had the problem and worked out a fix? new airbox is $400 ish and a wrecker wants $250 plus so just considering my options for now.

Al
    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!
  • Uncle Fester
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Boambee East NSW

I fixed a mates with a cable tie. Been on the car over 10000kms and still going strong.
    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• swanie1975
      • Feb 2012
      • gold coast

plastic glue

At work (panelshop) we use a product from fusor. excellent adhesion to a well prepared surface (clean and lightly sanded if nec). i cant remember the part no. off hand but there is a black one that takes 5-7 mins to go off and a clear one that takes about 60 secs. either will work well but it depends how muck work time you need. you can make tags with it as well. once cured you can file and sand whatever shape you wish.

ive noticed on my own paj and the neighbours as well that the plastic the airboxes are made from seem to become quite brittle anyway so you add an lpg backfire (like mine has) or a bit of "enthusiastic" servicing and the airbox doesnt stand up to well.

ive heard of one-way valves but im going to put 4 50mm holes in my new (2nd hand) airbox and AFM and seal with rubber bungs so if/when it happens again they will blow out and hopefully avoid too much damage?

cheers ryan

Comment

• green monster
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Adelaide

mine bust up the cape last year, so i wrapped a ratchet strap around it, worked fine , reckon it tightened up better than the original,,
        personally i wouldnt bother trying to fix or replace it, $5 strap,, easy fixed
        NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• AJC
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • ACT

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
          I fixed a mates with a cable tie. Been on the car over 10000kms and still going strong.
          Originally posted by swanie1975 View Post
          At work (panelshop) we use a product from fusor. excellent adhesion to a well prepared surface (clean and lightly sanded if nec). i cant remember the part no. off hand but there is a black one that takes 5-7 mins to go off and a clear one that takes about 60 secs. either will work well but it depends how muck work time you need. you can make tags with it as well. once cured you can file and sand whatever shape you wish.

cheers ryan
          Originally posted by green monster View Post
          mine bust up the cape last year, so i wrapped a ratchet strap around it, worked fine , reckon it tightened up better than the original,,
          personally i wouldnt bother trying to fix or replace it, $5 strap,, easy fixed
          Brilliant! Thanks...off to Repco for some Fusor and a suitable ratchet strap. Cable ties were my first thought but i couldn't picture how it'd work (and access under the snorkle is difficult when the top is on).
          Last edited by AJC; 19-03-12, 12:58 PM.
          Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• WazzaQLD
            • Feb 2010
            • Brisbane, Qld

My airbox developed some cracks after a service and I used some Q Bond, also from Repco. Seems to be holding up so far.

The plasctic does seem to go brittle with age.
            NM Pajero GLX DiD Auto
            Smartbar, King Springs & Bilsteins, Narva 175s, GME TX3200, Bushskinz int/sump guards, 60 & 15 AHR Thumpers, Cargo Barrier, D697 LT265/70/r16 Tyres, Rear storage with fridge slide, reverse camera

Comment

• Taboo
              • Sep 2010
              • Sunshine coast, QLD

I'v got a crack in one of mine also, some good advice given.
              Thanks

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by WazzaQLD View Post
                My airbox developed some cracks after a service and I used some Q Bond, also from Repco. Seems to be holding up so far.

That would be my first option as well. Rough up the surface and bond a piece of cut metal or aluminium in that D-shape (lying on it's side shape) to it to reinforce the bond.
                1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• AJC
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • ACT

Originally posted by WazzaQLD View Post

I used Q Bond to repair the air filter box...what an amazing product; will always have soem handy from now on!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X