Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

best place to drill for reversing camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

best place to drill for reversing camera?

I bought a flush-mount camera, Pyle PLCM22IR, from Amazon. Maybe I should have bought one that attaches to the number plate screws, but I have a drill-type instead. There is a spot about 50mm to the right of the number plate that looks good to me.

Has anyone any thoughts on that or other spots to drill install a reversing camera?

thanks

Peter
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Right in the center of the bumper. Just position it so you miss the metal bracing in there. Search reverse camera's, someone posted a pic of theirs done this way on an NP. Couldn't see why the NS bumper would be any different.

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

A tip for drilling plastic...

Place some masking tape down & pencil in where you're going to drill. Also use a brad-tip drill; they're the ones with a centre-spike & raised spikes on the outer edge of the drill tip. Although they're designed for wood, brad-tip drills are excellent for drilling plastic!

Steve
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• digitout
        • Jan 2008

my camera come with the car so i guess mistsubishi fitted it, it sits just above the number plate. If you want me to take some pics of where it is let me know.

Comment

• cooperplace
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2010
          • adelaide

Originally posted by digitout View Post
          my camera come with the car so i guess mistsubishi fitted it, it sits just above the number plate. If you want me to take some pics of where it is let me know.
          interesting, several other people said their NS had a reversing camera, just above the number plate. My GLX doesn't, god knows I looked. Do the more expensive models get that?

Comment

• digitout
            • Jan 2008

mine a vrx limited edition so it come with a few extras roof cross bars, floor mats, nudge bar, camera, spare wheel cover, satnav thats it i think.

Comment

• mickconn2
              • Mar 2009

I wouldn't drill at all, you can get the specific cameras off ebay for around $70, (correction $30!!) that fit in the light over the number plate. You get a camera and replacement light in the kit and they are pretty easy to install without any drilling or cutting. I have mine hooked to an after market GPS/DVD player.

If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't see it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mickconn2; 06-02-11, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• 1533rl
                • Jun 2007
                • armadale wa

hole for camera ?

Hi Peter (Cooperplace), my camera is mounted in the bumper, directly in line and above the towbar. We have a camper trailer and the camera is used to line up the vehicle and camper without the need to have a screaming match with the navigator !!!
                From this position it is also handy to reverse up to the rear of the car port etc. Does not have a full view into every possible corner, but works very well in conjunction with side mirrors for positioning.
                Camera actually came with a drill so no problem re size etc. Having cracked the plastic bumper a few times off road, drilling a hole in it has not been an issue.
                Cheers
                Peter
                Last edited by 1533rl; 05-02-11, 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling !!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X