• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Yep, I have a minor paranoia about running out of water (and beer, and wine), so I have a habit of carrying significantly more than I typically use. Which is why I'm typically travelling quite heavy.

I like to think I'm slowly getting better.

You are better looking at it than looking for it though.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Like any consumable, the more you have, the more you consume.
      You would be surprise at how little you really need and how much you can easily waste.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        You are better looking...
        Thank you Dicko - I've been waiting all my life for somebody to say that.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• twisted32
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Yep, I have a minor paranoia about running out of water (and beer, and wine), so I have a habit of carrying significantly more than I typically use. Which is why I'm typically travelling quite heavy.

I like to think I'm slowly getting better.
          Well I try to help you with the second two....🍻🍷
          MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• v8r
            • May 2014
            • mudgee, nsw

Originally posted by oscaroo View Post
            I'd personally like to see someone have a water tank ... Under the car. Maybe a thin but long and somewhat wide tank under the side steps. Something made out of unobtanium so it can take a bit of a beating and be okay
            I'm not sure about other generation 4, but my NS has a nice spot under the right hand rear Back near the bumper.🤔
            My Fuelly.com stats

Comment

• oscaroo
              • Dec 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by v8r View Post
              I'm not sure about other generation 4, but my NS has a nice spot under the right hand rear Back near the bumper.🤔
              Yep and mine has a nice rear aircon there.
              My thoughts of an under sidestep tank if it's ever possible is that the weight can be shifted more forward than being right at the tail end. My car still has 100+kg of front axle capacity available.

Comment

• v8r
                • May 2014
                • mudgee, nsw

Yep and mine has a nice rear aircon there.

My thoughts of an under sidestep tank if it's ever possible is that the weight can be shifted more forward than being right at the tail end. My car still has 100+kg of front axle capacity available.
                Ahh of course, the rear ac (I do miss that from my previous, an nl exceed)..
                Inside the bullbar maybe? I've seen airtanks integrated in there, don't know if I'm a fan of that tho :/

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
                My Fuelly.com stats

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
                  Well I try to help you with the second two....🍻🍷
                  Which leads to me drinking more water the next day.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• oscaroo
                    • Dec 2017
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by v8r View Post
                    Ahh of course, the rear ac (I do miss that from my previous, an nl exceed)..
                    Inside the bullbar maybe? I've seen airtanks integrated in there, don't know if I'm a fan of that tho :/
                    I have a smartbar. I wish I could fill it's holey inner with water!

There is a gap where a winch can ordinarily be mounted which I could use for water. Not sure how big it is. Maybe a space for 15 to 20L.

If I had a front mounted intercooler instead of the standard one then there's more space there to play with as I can sacrifice some approach angle.

I'm going to wait until the kids are a bit older and see whether they're the fun adventurous type then if so I'll go throw some cash around to get a tank made.

Good thing of a tank at the front is that it can probably give chilled water

Comment

• Garc
                      • May 2015
                      • Perth

Denmonkey on You Tube has a video on his roof top tank. It’s not ideal weight wise but if you just don’t have the space elsewhere it might be worth considering.
                      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Scrambler
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Toowoomba, Qld

SNIP

Good thing of a tank at the front is that it can probably give chilled water
                        That would take some over-engineering. But what fun!

Canvas bags, seen over bullbars a fair bit when I was young, give cool water by evaporation. The cost was that the water always tasted of dirty canvas. If you covered your stainless tank with canvas you could achieve the benefit without the cost: provided you had a water source for the evaporation. So a stainless tank, in water held by a canvas bag. Would work, would be a pain to build and mount. An A/C unit running into the tank? But then it would be better inside the car. A cooler off an old gas or kero fridge perhaps? Heat source being water coming in to the radiator, or even the exhaust.

So many options for the OTT water mount builder! Good luck, and keep us in the loop!

;-)
                        =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                        =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                          Don’t forget some travel with families, and young children are not always as efficient with water like adults who are used to remote travel and water conservation

I reckon we (2A & 2C) could do 10L per person per week - so 40L - plus I always like to have an extra jerry can as a ‘safety extra amount’.
                          Yes, I should qualify, my water usage is for solo, so that 40L using water at the same rate over 2A + 2C would only be a week's supply - and they would use more water than me.
                          My showering regime is also not like it is at home (insert pinching ones nose smilie here)

I got caught out carrying too much water when I did the CSR 4 years back. Well, it wasn't too much in reality - only 50L - but I gave half of that away after I broke the paj and had to bail out solo. I was away for 4 weeks on that trip, gave half my water away, and still returned home with the water I left with. I reckon a footwell tank in the paj would have helped me immensely on that trip over 2 x 20L jerries.

When I have the family with me, I take the camper as that has a 110L tank. That will do 3 of us for a month if we are careful.

I didn't touch on it but you did above - If remote, the insurance of carrying excess water is immeasurable.

I'd still suggest +50L of water is a lot to carry for most people.

Originally posted by garc
                          Maybe you should look at using a Pajero
                          See^^^^...I did use a paj....and broke it

Originally posted by dicko
                          You are better looking at it than looking for it though.
                          here, here.

To a degree. Risk management. How often do you carry excess to the times you need to look for it though? That one time may be your saviour....our your achillies heel.
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Alex86
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Here and there

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            If remote, the insurance of carrying excess water is immeasurable.
                            I’d also say that whether you are single vehicle or convoy would alter the choice in how much water to carry.

Single vehicle, I’d carry more. Multi vehicle, I’d carry less.
                            Purely because if I only hve one car, and it breaks, I might be waiting for a while for someone to come past/come looking. But in a convoy? Got the other vehicles to drag me out or go get help.
                            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Mongo
                              • Apr 2020
                              • Sunshine Coast

After doing some research and taking all the great info from this site into account we have decided to go with the 95ltr bladder storage by FME Store which is a specifically designed drinking water bladder for the 3rd row seat storage area.
                              We will incorporate this into our camp storage design for the rear cargo area, we will post some photos in the future once its completed.
                              Thanks to everybody for your knowledge and input!
                              Cheers!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Bru9
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • Victoria

70L is really about the max you can carry on a wagon when you consider all other gear. The law of packing is you will always hit your weight limit LONG before space is taken up. I never saw the point in onboard setups because they do nothing for my style of camping which is fully external and the 4wd will be ready for the wreakers in just 10 measly years of touring. For me life to short to do all that work, so I simply throw it all in. I carry 3x 20L (23L) water jerries that sit in uber tough cage box with quick acess gate, w/ VERY expensive rare clark rubber floor pads. Let gravity and friction hold it all in place and very little risk of breaking something. I drove like a hoon around corners and that whole thing barley moved.

On top of that I carry about 12L in ss bottles in my two engels. Then 4L in MSR bag for roadside shower setup in rearwheel bag, then 2x 750ml spray bottles in rearwheel bag side pockets for emergency showering/washing up.

The secret is to get water consumption down, for example my new high end diy minimalist shower uses 900-1100ml per shower-a real proper shower. that is pretty dam amazing considering the spray bottle method uses dead on 500ml to get a good clean.
                                I also carry the joolca hottap v2 dialed back to lowest flow rate for running water in large ss sink for dishes. So yeah women know they got it all with me...lol

...but wait more!more i say!

Also carry 20l water jerry on rear bar solely for washing hands and equipment like pegs etc. Absolute must.

2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X