• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larppanen
    • Feb 2020
    • Finland

Diesel running 1-2 seconds after turning key off + exhaust sounding louder

Hi,

Couple of days ago I noticed that sometimes engine wont shut down immediately after turning key to OFF position. It stays running for couple of seconds before shutting down. Sometimes I have time to get key off the lock and open the door and hear engine still running and then shut down.

Today I noticed that my exhaust sounds louder at idle, it sounds like that low growling when you put some teenager mufflers to your stock car.

Are these related, can a hole on my exhaust pipe somewhere cause shutdown to take longer, it would at least make my exhaust to sound louder?

Also, could it be related to warm weather that became about the same time I first noticed that shut down issue? Its been 0-15 C degrees before noticed any issues and now sun is starting to shine, there can be over 25 C degrees where sun is shining constantly.

Later today I will check for engine oil level and smell, also will check for any loose bolts at intake/exhaust manifold related areas and also try to check can I see any cracks at exhaust pipe.

Worst case scenario I can think off is that my injector pipes are leaking inside the valve cover as I adjusted my valve clearances couple of thousand km's ago, but I've been checking engine oil for that reason after adjustment and last time I checked was couple of weeks ago. No change to color, level or smell then. There were no marking of removal of injector pipes before, also used torque wrench to torque them back on.

Fuel consumption is at highway about 8.5 l/100km and at city maybe 10.5 l/100km, I calculate average at every fill up and it's always between 9-10 l/100km.

Car was at MOT or at mandatory vehicle inspection (don't know the correct term in english), there were no issues found.

I also have cleaned my intake manifold and installed EGR delete kit.

Otherwise it drives normally and starts normally.
    Pajero 2010 3.2TD 147kW Automatic
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Is the butterfly closing fully in the air intake?

Comment

• Larppanen
      • Feb 2020
      • Finland

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Is the butterfly closing fully in the air intake?
      Do you mean when engine is off or at the same time when I turn engine off? Should it be closed at the idle also?

I'll check it anyways today.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Diesel running 1-2 seconds after turning key off + exhaust sounding louder

Originally posted by Larppanen View Post
        installed EGR delete kit.
        This is the cause bro. Engine run on as a result of disabling EGR. Can’t remember the specifics, somebody else (or a search on this forum) will elaborate.

Edit: Check out the 6th post down on this thread... https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/view...0b85ee2e769117

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
          This is the cause bro. Engine run on as a result of disabling EGR. Can’t remember the specifics, somebody else (or a search on this forum) will elaborate.
          Certainly a strong suspect, depending on how the EGR was disabled.

On shutdown, the intake manifold butterfly is supposed to close to "starve" the engine of air and help a rapid shutdown.

Sometimes my butterfly doesn't close on shutdown, which causes a noticeably rough shutdown, and will throw an error on the second or third occasion - because the ecu knows the butterfly didn't close.

Some "solutions" for an EGR block include drilling a hole in the butterfly, to let air through to compensate for the air that isn't coming through the blocked EGR. This extra air can also lead to run-on / rough shut down.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Larppanen
            • Feb 2020
            • Finland

Edit: Check out the 6th post down on this thread... https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/view...0b85ee2e769117

Thanks for answer, but I think this can not be the cause.

I have Munji EGR Delete kit and it has been installed for several months without any issues.No blocking plates installed, also cleaned the EGR completely when cleaned intake manifold and throttle body.

At that thread they are also talking about "rough shutdown" as mine is similar to normal shutdown. Just takes couple of seconds longer than normally. And also my exhaust is more "manly" at idle.

But this is also easy to test.
            Last edited by Larppanen; 27-05-20, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Larppanen
              • Feb 2020
              • Finland

Forgot to mention, no fault codes registered and no fault indicators on dash displaying.

Comment

• Larppanen
                • Feb 2020
                • Finland

Reading further that thread, I found this:

"When the a/c compressor is engaged, the ECU increases the engine idle. Shutting down the engine at fast idle will take slightly longer as it was at a higher RPM."

Could it just be this simple, as now it is really hot days here and A/C is constantly on..

And at same time maybe I just have a hole somewhere at exhaust pipe causing idle sound louder.

I'll be back with updates when I have checked all possibilities that have been mentioned.

Comment

• Larppanen
                  • Feb 2020
                  • Finland

I think I found at least one problem.

Turning off a/c did not remove shutdown issue.
                  Removing EGR Delete kit improved shut down time a bit, there was indeed some influence with that but nearly noticeable.

These faults appeared nearly at the same time, so I think first Im gonna fix that exhaust pipe and see does that fix the shut down problem.

Comment

• Larppanen
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Finland

Yep, fixing that exhaust pipe fixed also the shutdown issue. No more delays when turning the key to off position.

Thanks to all who replied, still good knowledge for future needs.

Maybe this thread help others to solve similar problems.

Comment

• Kingmarz
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2016
                      • South Island New Zealand

Inlet butterfly solenoid.
                      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Larppanen
                        • Feb 2020
                        • Finland

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                        Inlet butterfly solenoid.
                        Is it that vacuum thing on the side of manifold?

Comment

• Kingmarz
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2016
                          • South Island New Zealand

Originally posted by Larppanen View Post
                          Is it that vacuum thing on the side of manifold?
                          That’s the butterfly. Follow the vacuum hose down to the thingy with a plug and wires that’s your solenoid.
                          Mine has run on about once a week because I’ve removed the butterfly cos of faulty solenoid that I haven’t bothered replacing
                          Last edited by Kingmarz; 28-05-20, 01:55 PM. Reason: Added
                          02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Larppanen
                            • Feb 2020
                            • Finland

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                            That’s the butterfly. Follow the vacuum hose down to the thingy with a plug and wires that’s your solenoid.
                            Mine has run on about once a week because I’ve removed the butterfly cos of faulty solenoid that I haven’t bothered replacing
                            Thanks, now I know what you mean.

Does that effect anything else than shutdown? I'm asking because I cannot notice any issues currently after fixing my exhaust pipe.

Currently my fuel consumption is also dropping, probably mostly because I repaired my stuck rear brake slides and now I can get as low as 8.0 l/100km when driving to work versus 9.0 l/100km before any these fixes. These are readings from car display, maybe not accurate in real life but I assume these are accurate readings when comparing past and current situation.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                              • Apr 2018
                              • Victoria

Did you get this sorted?

The systems are consistent With the egr mod.

Mine is doing similar things Running I’m after shutdown. It’s EGR related.

Have you checked what codes if any are thrown at the moment

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X