• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LukeMS
    • Dec 2017
    • Vic

Reusing a petrol jerry can for diesel

Hey,
    I've got a jerry can, which is currently used for storing petrol. I want to repurpose it for storing diesel instead. Obviously diesel and petrol do not mix well, but if I empty out the petrol then leave it for a few days for any remnant to evaporate will it be fine?

Or would the petrol leave some kind of residue that would then react with the diesel and cause problems?

Luke
  • 4ePikanini
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • South Africa, East London

Going back and forth between fuels is fine. Just do t use petrol in the plastic diesel jerries. The petrol eats the plastic. Petrol plastic jerries are made of a special plastic.

However, you will never be able to use an old fuel jerry for water. The water will always taste of fuel.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
      Going back and forth between fuels is fine. Just do t use petrol in the plastic diesel jerries. The petrol eats the plastic. Petrol plastic jerries are made of a special plastic.

However, you will never be able to use an old fuel jerry for water. The water will always taste of fuel.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk

That might be true where you live but in this country the plastic containers are all the same. I have about 10 x 20 litre ones that are over 10 years old and have had a mixture of diesel or petrol (depends on what trip I am doing)...No ill effects on any container.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X