• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redrock
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2012
    • victoria

Np 3.2 secondary fuel filter micron question

I was at the 4wd and camping show on the weekend looking at filter systems, I had various conversations and differing"expert" advice. I was told by the original filter company rep from Queensland, sorry cant recall there brand, here I was informed as my car is DID the secondary filter should be 20 micron as the fuel flow would be too restricted if it was less. Opposed to a common rail where there is a stronger fuel flow then yes use a 5 micron. Other brands all put it to me that I should be between 3-6 micron. To me the 20 micron makes logical sense from what I gleamed talking to this particular gentleman on the weekend. Thoughts?
    2004 Np Exceed Lift kit, Arb Bullbar, Warn winch, UHF & HF Barrett radio, dual tanks, dual batteries Rhino Basket, Snorkel
  • pugsley1967
    • May 2015
    • Thornlie WA

Originally posted by redrock View Post
    I was at the 4wd and camping show on the weekend looking at filter systems, I had various conversations and differing"expert" advice. I was told by the original filter company rep from Queensland, sorry cant recall there brand, here I was informed as my car is DID the secondary filter should be 20 micron as the fuel flow would be too restricted if it was less. Opposed to a common rail where there is a stronger fuel flow then yes use a 5 micron. Other brands all put it to me that I should be between 3-6 micron. To me the 20 micron makes logical sense from what I gleamed talking to this particular gentleman on the weekend. Thoughts?
    I think you will find a lot of disagreement here on that statement. I run a 2 micron secondary filter on my NP and haven't had any issues. this is the standard secondary kit from Deisel care. I can't see a lot of use for a 20micron after the factory filter, which from memory is 10 micron.
    2005 GLS 3.2 Auto.
    2" lift with Lovell's,
    Bushskinz intercooler, sump & trans guards.
    X-Rox bar with winch on the way,
    auxiliary tank, rear air bags,
    2micron secondary fuel filter,
    turbo timer, HID spots,
    LED light bar, UHF radio.

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

Red Rock

Ryco Z611 is recommended for the NP. This has specifications for multipass test of 94.89% @ 4 microns.

A 20 micron filter (we also need efficiency rating to be meaningful) will do little as a secondary filter

It will be useful as a water trap.

Hill
      Last edited by Hill; 26-08-15, 10:10 PM.
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X