• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

The Ghan - Odds

Just for fun, what would you say are the odds of crossing a random outback rail crossing in the middle of nowhere in NT on any given day and just happening to see The Ghan within 10 seconds after you arrive?

Like this one: Dropped pin
    Near Hugh River Stock Rte, Hugh NT 0872

Feel free to take a punt on odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 02-10-19, 09:03 PM.
  • Old Paj
    Pajero Club Life Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Heathcote, Vic

Odds of The Ghan

Planned or Unplanned?

Unplanned, I would think huge, but at least, in all probability, you could see it coming from a long way off.

Planned, why not? If your up that way touring and it is feasible, in IMHO you would be mad not to, if for no other reason than "you can".

I would think that I would definitely make the effort!
    NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

The Ghan - Odds

Yep, I mean completely unplanned. Like, the least planned possible, apart from the fact that you knew it was The Ghan line.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

The Ghan - Odds

It travels 2,979km, once a week, and you could probably see it 4-5km away, taking some small hills into account.

Given the vast distances involved, the odds have to be minutely small right?

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

The Ghan - Odds

This is why I ask...

Pulled up, “STOP, look for trains” sign, think haha yeah ok, kids will think it’s funny. Look left, look right, what’s that reflection in the distance?”

I still can’t believe it. We were on the way out to Chambers Pillar.

Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 03-10-19, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

You were really lucky. I didn't see a thing twice when I went out there. Fabulous piece of country out that way.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
              You were really lucky. I didn't see a thing twice when I went out there. Fabulous piece of country out that way.

Definitely. How was the last 43km road into the Pillar when you went?

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Last time we were out there was, I think about 2 years ago. About 5 years before that as well. The road was smooth as, and you could have driven a 2WD in. In fact, there were a couple of 2WDs in there when we got there. They left fairly early. We went in and out via the Hart Stockroute. We were camped this time at Stuart Wells roadhouse (great meals there - plug for them!). They have a mudmap which gives a rough idea of where to go. Once you cross the railway line, it was a bit vague as to which way to go. We took the left fork. From memory, there were about 4 gates to open/close. The road was quite good.

My first trip into the Pillar was about 25 years ago. We went in past the airport and down the old road. The track after Maryvale involved climbing and descending quite a large rocky hill. It was a case of low range and walk the car over the rocks. the last time I couldn't even find that hill.There was some form of a hill but it was nothing. Also, the first time way back we had to go over a few sand dunes. This time, nothing.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

I was at Chambers Pillar in late August this year. Came down the Ghan Heritage Trail from Alice. The road from Maryvale was very heavily corrugated. We were towing. Dropped tyres to 24 psi in a not always successful attempt to lessen the stress on suspension and people. There were a few twists and turns and crests to make it safer to have a sandflag, the road can be quite narrow. But the trip is well worth it. There were only 4 vehicles in the small campsite at the base and we (2 4WDs+campers) had the larger camping ground to ourselves.
                  BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                    This is why I ask...

Pulled up, “STOP, look for trains” sign, think haha yeah ok, kids will think it’s funny. Look left, look right, what’s that reflection in the distance?”

I still can’t believe it. We were on the way out to Chambers Pillar.

They are the great unexpected moments that really make a trip!
                    Well done for stopping and looking before proceeding - some people assume there won't be a train, don't slow or stop, then BOOM! (The train usually wins - the locos are 132 tonnes each - the train is about 30 vehicles for 1,400 tonnes - nearly 1km long - the staff get a lot of exercise walking from one end to the other!)

I liked the person ducking for cover as the air pressure wave fired the dust at you!
                    Camera operator did well not to jump when the driver hit the 5 chime horn - I imagine they try to predict how high the photographer will jump when they do this! Driving on this line is very boring, so they like something to keep them alert - they would have enjoyed it almost as much as you did.

There is only about 1 train each way each day on that line (between Tarcoola and Darwin). Mostly one Ghan return per week and six super freighters return per week, plus the odd work train and a few Hyrail Landcruisers & trucks for the track maintenance crews. There were a few minerals trains running on the southern & northern sections of the line, but I think only one or two are running at present. The super freighters carry double stacked containers, are up to 1.8km long and weigh up to 6,000 tonnes. They have the ultimate Long Range Fuel Tank - a tanker wagon behind the locos constantly pumps fuel into the locos so they can run from Adelaide to Darwin without stopping for fuel.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Very corrugated between Maryvale and Chambers Pillar during a recent trip. Grader was on the job but efforts are shortlived when there's no moisture to bind the dirt together.

Screenshot_2018-08-26-11-40-28.jpg
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                        Very corrugated between Maryvale and Chambers Pillar during a recent trip. Grader was on the job but efforts are shortlived when there's no moisture to bind the dirt together.

[ATTACH]42534[/ATTACH]
                        Nice one
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X