• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoyHarvey
    • Mar 2008
    • Adelaide

ABS Stopping distances

The following is a clip from... http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/def_ABS_3.htm

"Contrary to popular belief ABS brakes will not stop your car faster. The idea behind ABS brakes is that you maintain control of your vehicle by avoiding wheel lock up. When your wheels lock up you have no steering control and turning the steering wheel to avoid a collision will do you no good. When the wheels stop turning, it's done and over.
    When driving on slippery roads you need to allow for increased braking distance since the wheels will lock up much easier and the ABS will cycle much faster. Speed is a factor also, if you're going too fast even the control ABS gives you will not be enough to overcome plain inertia. You may turn the wheel to the left or right, but inertia will keep you going forward.
    If there is an ABS failure, the system will revert to normal brake operation so you will not be without brakes. Normally the ABS warning light will turn on and let you know there is a fault. When that light is on it is safe to assume the ABS has switched to normal brake operation and you should drive accordingly."
    End quote.

My impression of ABS brakes is that "on average" the emergency stopping distance is increased. Yes they improve control during braking, but it would be nice to know how much trade off might be involved 'in all conditions'.

Some while ago I recall hearing that the introduction of ABS brakes had not shown any significant reduction to the accident statistics. The only thing I have found to support that recollection is... http://www.esafety-effects-database....ations_16.html

Another bit of reading that maybe of interest....http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/528297
    .....The suggestion at the end of this link to try out the ABS might be worth some consideration!
    "If you find your ABS braking experience unsettling, you may want to take yourself to a vacant parking lot with a few different surfaces and practice some emergency braking. While you are at it, you can also pull out the ABS relay and repeat the same tests. It may be eye opening for you to explore just how much traction remains beyond the threshold that you ABS computer deems appropriate."
    End quote.

Any other thoughts or info?
    2016 NX Pajero GLX
    Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL
  • WogsRus
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Hobart Tasmania

I thougth that was common knolage.

ABS is good in some situations, but it does increase stoping distances. Everytime the brake is pullsed on and off, when off the wheel is not breakign at all.

If you open your User car book, at the ABS section it states, "ABS may increase stoping distances on rough, unever, gravel, wet, snow ect ect surfaces". BASICALLY everyday driving"

LOL

Yes ABS has it's place, especially for my wife, but if you know how to drive you will outbrake ABS everytime.

SAYING that the ABS on the NS is excellent, it will actually lock the front wheel a lot more then any other system i have tested. My old Magna was terrible, i had no confideance in the systesm at all.

The SX4 i have also has electronic break assist and dam it works well. Esentially it works out that at speed x, you put your foot on the break peddal at force and speed Y, but to stop in time according to your reaction time it needs to be Z, it boost the break force electornically to ensure the car stops in the time it think it needs to to avoid colision. It has certaily helped me once when an old grany pulled out in front of my car.
    HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
    "Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Comment

• Avanner
      • Jul 2007

Good posts guys. Spot on!

Those who have done advanced driving courses should know that you can consistently beat the stopping time/distance of ABS, by turning off ABS & braking manually, especially off-road. But you still have to pump the brakes to eliminate lock-up & maintain steering capability. [You can?t skid with ABS braking]

ABS primarily helps you maintain control of direction, by avoiding wheel lock-up, especially on gravel or slippery surfaces. Unfortunately with a Pajero, or similar vehicle, ABS will increase the possibility of a roll-over on dry roads.

It still comes down to driver ability. ABS is beneficial for the less capable driver. [Wasn?t going to say for the missus, but WogsRus already said it.]

Comment

• Richo-NT
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

Yep, absolutely right normal baking is more effective then an ABS stop.

However,

For the normal driver in an "oh shit" situation, more often then not they will stop sooner if they have ABS because in that panic situation most normal drivers will just stomp the brake pedal and lock it all up, not only increasing stopping distances but also removing steering.

ABS has its purpose, but yes its no substitute for proper advanced training.
        2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X