• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJC
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • ACT

i too saw this article; the headline grabbed me...in my view it shouldn't be described as a 'freak' accident, rather the article should contain a message about the risk of snatching from towballs and the need to use rated recovery points so as to try prevent future tragedies.

I feel for the family...those involved must be feeling as low as one can go given this has led to the death of another person!
    Last edited by AJC; 23-08-11, 10:13 AM.
    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

AJC, I agree with you!

Originally posted by AJC View Post
      i too saw this article; the headline grabbed me...in my view it shouldn't be described as a 'freak' accident, rather the article should contain a message about the risk of snatching from towballs and the need to use rated recovery points so as to try prevent future tragedies.

I feel for the family...those involved must be feeling as low as one can go given this has led to the death of another person!
      Most likely the family will also have to go through the trauma of an inquest & possibly man-slaughter charges (with most likely outcome of a suspended sentence so he can remain with his family).
      My concern is that now the authorities might start considering banning snatch-straps, whereas a better solution would be a requirement to do an off-road training-course (either club-based or private instructor) prior to being allowed to drive a 4WD off-road.

Steve
      Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 23-08-11, 10:21 AM. Reason: edit quote
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• cry_babys
        • Dec 2010
        • nsw

this guy seems to have gone above and beyond http://youtu.be/2JBnxSqpuCM

Comment

• darrenr
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Very very sad that 3 kids are now without a mother. A 4WD course is imo a very important way to learn about the do's and don'ts of 4WDriving. The first thing I was taught is towballs are not to be used for recovery. Shackles and proper rated snatch points are a must. Use a weight in the middle of the strap. Another good rule is if the vehicle being snatched or the snatching vehicle has any chance of impact from shackles etc place your bonnet up. If this person had placed up their bonnet during the snatch she would be alive right now, may this thread serve as a reminder just how dangerous 4WD recovery can be to the inexperienced. My condolences to the family,
          Last edited by darrenr; 23-08-11, 10:50 PM.
          2012 NW GLS 3.2DiD, GME3100TX, 2" LIFTKIT, LOVELLS HD SPRINGS, EFS SHOCKS, POLYAIRBAGS, ADVENTURE KINGS SIDE AWNING,

Comment

• AJC
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • ACT

Originally posted by darrenr View Post
            Another good rule is if the vehicle being snatched or the snatching vehicle has any chance of impact from shackles etc place your bonnet up. If this person had placed up their bonnet during the snatch she would be alive right now.
            Great tip!
            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
              My concern is that now the authorities might start considering banning snatch-straps, whereas a better solution would be a requirement to do an off-road training-course (either club-based or private instructor) prior to being allowed to drive a 4WD off-road.

Steve
              A very sad event indeed and a shocking way to learn a lesson. However, I reject the notion of a compulsory off road "license" to be able to drive one. That can't be enforced nor will it solve anything. How many people have car licenses that cant drive? (or any other license for that matter that cant do what they claim to be competent at). Maybe everyone that drives a tractor on a farm needs a license too, they have a horrible track record for injury and fatalities.

Shane.
              Last edited by sharkcaver; 23-08-11, 08:17 AM.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• idefix
                • Jul 2011
                • FRANCE

I've never seen a tow bool tear
                are you sure the bool tear has not changed?
                but i have seen open shackles
                it's really sad
                Pajero generation 3 -2002-manuel ; 8mm aluminum protection under the car; spring king Spring +40mm; damper OME;front winch and rear winch; Stainless steel exhaust; wheels 265/75/R16 with tyres BFG Mud, push bar; snorkel; side protection and and some other small changes

Comment

• BarryJ
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Hobart, Tas

Check out this thread on the same fatality: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=18777

In particular, check the post (no.7) which has links to reports on this fatality plus three others in recent years in Australia.

Comment

• idefix
                    • Jul 2011
                    • FRANCE

Effectively that frightens !
                    i think, if placed up a jacket or cover or other during the snatch, the accident would have been avoided
                    Pajero generation 3 -2002-manuel ; 8mm aluminum protection under the car; spring king Spring +40mm; damper OME;front winch and rear winch; Stainless steel exhaust; wheels 265/75/R16 with tyres BFG Mud, push bar; snorkel; side protection and and some other small changes

Comment

• Alex86
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Here and there

And then you see videos like this - do not take much notice of the title of the video!!
                      This is how we recover our stuck 4x4's here in the U.K.These highly trained professionals are experts in the field of vehicle recovery, their knowledge and e...

Showing just about EVERYTHING WRONG.

When one of their snatches goes, its bloody lucky nobody got hit.

The driver of the Landy pretty much sums it up when he said "I've never done it before, but seen it done".
                      Joining snatches with a shackle, looped over the ball on both vehicles..... It's just asking for trouble.
                      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                        And then you see videos like this - do not take much notice of the title of the video!!
                        This is how we recover our stuck 4x4's here in the U.K.These highly trained professionals are experts in the field of vehicle recovery, their knowledge and e...

Showing just about EVERYTHING WRONG.

When one of their snatches goes, its bloody lucky nobody got hit.

The driver of the Landy pretty much sums it up when he said "I've never done it before, but seen it done".
                        Joining snatches with a shackle, looped over the ball on both vehicles..... It's just asking for trouble.
                        It was easier to count the things they did right,...er...sorry, couldn't see any...so 'none'!
                        Those lads should've just left their dad's toys at home, & done something else instead.

Found another video of recovery-ignorance; http://youtu.be/qFScOcUMy8g
                        Couldn't leave it without responding to the comment justifying their technique, by leaving the following: "That's clearly hooked over the tow ball, & there doesn't seem to be much stretch for it to be a properly rated snatch-strap. Tow-balls can & do shear off at the threaded section & do superb impersonations of cannon-balls!"

Steve
                        Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 23-08-11, 02:44 AM. Reason: Added link to another video
                        Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                        "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Pickle
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2007
                          • All over Oz

Got this in the mail o/night. Not really the right way to ask admin to remove a thread. Some posts could have been worded a in a more sensitive way but don't see a problem with them.
                          So it stays

Hi, would just like to say this site should be banned due to the stupid and rude members whom you allow to post their dumb post which are in educated and are basically a law suit. 'you' as in the website must all have no families and have lost both of you parents, how dare you allow high school drop out write their views on a family that have just lost a beautiful caring partner and mum? The idiot that posted must not be able to read ad in the article it said partner, not wife! I hope you remove the posts as I'm sure if something horrible happened to someone in your family you would not appriciate it being posted that you are responsible or played a role in the accident by some looser who wad not there, and had not involment and is on the other side of the country! I have saved a copy of this and will be taking this matter further if I do not receive a reply and the posts are removed within 48 hours, I understand this as a 4WD website, not a social and media bullying and harassment site as this is exactly what your members are doing. I hope this issued is resolved promptly and you can shop a tiny amount of respect to the family that have just been through one of the most traumatic experiences they ever face. This is regarding the accident which occured on Saturday the 20th of august 2011 at drummon cove, WA.
                          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• TheTaipan
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009
                            • sydney

"Hi, would just like to say this site should be banned due to the stupid and rude members whom you allow to post their dumb post which are in educated and are basically a law suit. 'you' as in the website must all have no families and have lost both of you parents, how dare you allow high school drop out write their views on a family that have just lost a beautiful caring partner and mum? The idiot that posted must not be able to read ad in the article it said partner, not wife! I hope you remove the posts as I'm sure if something horrible happened to someone in your family you would not appriciate it being posted that you are responsible or played a role in the accident by some looser who wad not there, and had not involment and is on the other side of the country! I have saved a copy of this and will be taking this matter further if I do not receive a reply and the posts are removed within 48 hours, I understand this as a 4WD website, not a social and media bullying and harassment site as this is exactly what your members are doing. I hope this issued is resolved promptly and you can shop a tiny amount of respect to the family that have just been through one of the most traumatic experiences they ever face. This is regarding the accident which occured on Saturday the 20th of august 2011 at drummon cove, WA."

A tragedy, absolutely but the words above could be the reason it happened.

Comment

• Bing
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Currently QLD

Hi Pickle, My intent was to avoid the next tragedy. No disrespect meant to the family, in actual fact quite the opposite. I fully understand that the person requesting the deletion has strong feelings.

Seeing as how it was a reference to a newspaper article in the public domain I think we as, very interested and perhaps almost target group concerning this recovery method almost have a Duty of Care to highlight the awful consequences.

Rather than this site being banned I think that it should be commended for the help, education and safety promotion that may well have saved members and guests from injury and fatality in the past and hopefully in the future.

Again Condolences to the grieved.
                              Last edited by Bing; 23-08-11, 11:09 AM.
                              2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• Pete
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2010
                                • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

I dont think anyone has been inflammatory??? I hope they dont. It wouldnt matter if the people involved did everything wrong or right the folk on this forum are generally empathetic and caring. No one is saying 'serves them right' because it doesnt.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X