• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

NZ South Island Mountains 4wd trip

Three short videos showing my Shogun/Pajero off-road amidst stunning NZ South Island scenery. Enjoy.

2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Great scenery. Thanks for sharing.
    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

was this recently(silly question) I thought it was closed ?
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• kiwi1973
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • New Zealand

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
        was this recently(silly question) I thought it was closed ?
        It was just one week ago. Access to the area closes over the winter and we were one of the first into the area this season. You do have to gain permission however and pay a $100 fee.
        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

yes i know about the fee(it was 50 the last time i went in there,and i beleive there are parts still closed after the earthquake which i beleive are to open soon.He has quite a list of conditions too.
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
            yes i know about the fee(it was 50 the last time i went in there,and i beleive there are parts still closed after the earthquake which i beleive are to open soon.He has quite a list of conditions too.
            I'm following you now - yes this area was pretty badly affected by the earthquake. We were trying to work out whether the nature of the current track damage that made one of the tracks we attempted impassable (there's a photo in the Part 1 video that shows a big hole in the track) was primarily due to earthquake or water based erosion. I think the answer is both. The nature of the soil in that area is unlike anything I have experience of. When dry it is fine, but when it gets even a bit wet it exhibits the tractability of sand and the slipperiness of near ice. This would be extremely difficult and dangerous to drive in the wet and you could easily get stuck. Take a look at the photo I've attached - this photo was captured by my drone a couple of kilometers further up the inaccessible track from where that giant hole is. It shows that the track has numerous difficult or impassable obstacles and needs more than just a bit of maintenance. I don't think it will be reopened any time soon, as the farm station doesn't need access there and DOC isn't interested in spending the money. The drone is very handy for jobs like this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X