Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 09-04-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
The question I'd be asking myself is "do the farmers/ringers/postal delivery guys/oil field workers in the outback run secondary filters?"

If the answer is "not many do", which I think it would be, then you have your answer!
That could also be because their vehicles are usually considered "tools of the trade" that they don't intend to keep for a long time, and any repairs are business expenses, not personal expenses - they may be more prepared to take a gamble, presuming they're aware that a secondary filter is even an option.

Not everybody treats their vehicles with the same level of care.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 09-04-19
Valued Member

It only takes on bad batch of fuel to stuff up the whole system. And that bad batch can even come form the larger cities - you don't have to go outback to get a crook lot of fuel. I reckon an additional filter is a worthwhile investment.
Old 09-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
It only takes on bad batch of fuel to stuff up the whole system. And that bad batch can even come form the larger cities - you don't have to go outback to get a crook lot of fuel. I reckon an additional filter is a worthwhile investment.
Especially when a pre-filter (and a catch can) won't impact warranty.
Old 10-04-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
The question I'd be asking myself is "do the farmers/ringers/postal delivery guys/oil field workers in the outback run secondary filters?"

If the answer is "not many do", which I think it would be, then you have your answer!

And then we can ask...how many carry a second spare wheel, how many carry a compressor, how many shut down the egr, how many etc.etc......Many of these people run their vehicles as cheaply as they can and unlike most of us it is seen as a work vehicle only. Any mods I have done to my engine are there to ensure I get reliability and longevity from my Car. Farmers, ringers, miners etc. dont have the same concerns I have for my vehicle. I do know several cane farmers who have Toyota twin cab landcruisers and all have secondary filters, plus every other accessory you can name! Too much money in sugar cane...
Old 12-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
That could also be because their vehicles are usually considered "tools of the trade" that they don't intend to keep for a long time, and any repairs are business expenses, not personal expenses - they may be more prepared to take a gamble, presuming they're aware that a secondary filter is even an option.

Not everybody treats their vehicles with the same level of care.

Most of the people I mentioned, if not all, put an enormous money & effort into safety in remote areas. Cost isn't a consideration, nor should it be. I can't see anyone with a modicum of common sense "taking a gamble".

Vehicle breakdowns out there are a complete PITA to get fixed. Even if there is someone on site that can fix the problem, you still need to fly/drive the parts in from the nearest supplier, which could be days away.

Like I said, not many secondary fuel filters in the vehicles though!

Ironically, a lot of caravaners that I come across while I'm out & about are quite vocal around the camp fire about secondary filters being a must. These guys usually have their shiny new 4x4 set up with all the bling, but they will never leave the tar.
Old 12-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
And then we can ask...how many carry a second spare wheel, how many carry a compressor, how many shut down the egr, how many etc.etc......Many of these people run their vehicles as cheaply as they can and unlike most of us it is seen as a work vehicle only. Any mods I have done to my engine are there to ensure I get reliability and longevity from my Car. Farmers, ringers, miners etc. dont have the same concerns I have for my vehicle. I do know several cane farmers who have Toyota twin cab landcruisers and all have secondary filters, plus every other accessory you can name! Too much money in sugar cane...
Every farmer/oil field worker/ringer I've ever encountered out on the remote tracks carries a 2nd spare wheel.

Old 12-04-19

Did 350K without a secondary filter and no fuel problems. Went to the Kimberly a couple of years ago so thought a secondary filter would be good insurance because as it turned out we filled up at some fairly remote places. No fuel problems and no crud or water in the pre filter.
It was set up as a pre filter on the advise of a diesel expert.
A couple of months after we got back from the 16K trip picked up some fuel on the outskirts of Sydney and noticed the pre filter bowl half full of water a couple of days later.
So you don't know where you will get a bad batch of fuel.
Now with the pre filter I am not so worried if I pull into the cheapest fuel station to get fuel which I wouldn't have done before the pre filter. So probably saving some money on fuel now because of it.
Havn't used the pre filter to it's full potential but didn't use the top NRMA road side assist that I got before we left either.
Been around lots of farms and they all have filters on their fuel tanks before it gets into the vehicle or machinery. Mining , earth moving probably the same.

Terry
2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter. In tow,Track Trailer T van.
Old 12-04-19

I installed a second filter as secondary and after 10k change and cutting it open I’m glade I installed it. Reason for installing as secondary is if the factory filter water senser alarm goes off it may Stop bad fuel going though pump.
I personally know of two cases of water killing diesels both metro Sydney,! Each over 10K damage
Old 12-04-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotus View Post
I personally know of two cases of water killing diesels both metro Sydney,! Each over 10K damage
Likewise. A former work colleague’s new (at the time) Santa Fe diesel after filling up somewhere in Sutherland shire. Thankfully insurance covered a new engine due to bad fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-19

The risks are all relative. For the solo driver or family who's traveling the outback alone and doesn't know where to buy safe clean fuel and cant afford to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with expensive vehicle repair costs, or for the outback worker/farmer who probably has a good fuel source, who might not be personally out of pocket for company vehicle repairs and who can easily call the company/mates/family for help if they ever break down due to bad fuel.