• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Battery charging

I had a dead starter battery this morning and it's only 18 months old, not the original, but an Exide Extreme. Anyway, I'm charging it up but reading the instruction booklet it says if the battery is still in the vehicle, to attach the negative terminal to the chassis. Any reason why I can't just hook it up to the negative terminal on the battery ?
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • DT6061
    • May 2015
    • Tea Gardens

Just realised I've been doing it all wrong - Projecta PC800. Still seems to work fine but maybe not as great as it could?? Sorry I don't have any answer to your question Ian.
    2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

The principle is to keep the charger (or jump starting) connection away from the battery terminal in case a spark ignites the explosive mixture of gases that can issue from the battery vents.

If you've ever witnessed a battery explosion you will follow this rule to the letter.

The earth/chassis connection that's away from the battery is always 'last on' and 'first off'.
      Last edited by Kingbrown; 10-03-19, 02:02 PM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

My start battery gets a Projecta 240v charge once a month. Suburban driving never keeps the battery fully charged or enables it to last longer. My air con in on 99% of the time as well.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Thanks guys, I think the short trips around home have probably been it's downfall so I'll take note of the advice to charge it up every month or so.

Hope it's not buggered, I'm off on the Spirit to Tassie for 5 weeks, leaving Wednesday.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X