Clear All
  • El_Freddo
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2018
    • Bridgewater, Vic

El_Freddo here

G’day all.

Funny, I found this sub forum last...

I’m El_Freddo (username from the good old ninemsn messenger days for those that remember that), aka Bennie.

My daily rides are Subaru’s - a Brumby and an L series that’s been my noble stated/off-roader for at least a decade. There was a year it was in the shed while I rebuilt the gearbox and painted the firewall and underside of the vehicle against rust.

^ Her name is Ruby Scoo and is quite the build, it’s still going but she’s in quite a sweet spot. I’ve enjoyed working around space and weight “restrictions” in this build. EJ22, custom box (AWD with centre diff lock - I won’t go into further details as it probably wouldn’t make much sense), three inch lift, NK/NJ/NH Paj snorkel - modified to fit the slope of the A pillar, dual batteries, rear cargo frame with fridge slide.

My little Brum3y. A cool little ride that’ll get some TLC once we’re settled in a decent place with a good landlord, I’ve got some plans for this one too. Currently stock with the addition of power steering, cruise control and better seats!

And this is the noble steed that has been replaced. The rock in the family, a series II Commodre Acclaim, never let us down and owes us nothing! Mrs El_Freddo got this ex-fleet at about 80k km, now it’s got 350-something thousand on the clock. AC isn’t working and the family isn’t fitting into it so well anymore for daily duties.

^ with my sister’s RX Liberty.

If you haven’t found the thread about our NP, here it is, 320k km, dual batteries, snorkel, roof racks, second spare, cargo barrier and UHF radio. We’re pretty happy with her so far. We’re the second owners too

She might see some off-road touring at some point, but for now we’ll continue to use Ruby Scoo for that

I’d like to put a two inch lift in at some point. A certified three inch lift would be good for something different but will probably never eventuate. The cargo frame in Ruby Scoo will most likely be modified/adapted to “fit” into the back of the Pajero.

Cheers

Bennie
    Last edited by El_Freddo; 04-02-19, 09:06 PM. Reason: smaller images ;)
    2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Good read mate. Not too bad a part of the world. I left Castlemaine and headed to NT about 20+ years ago. Plenty of helpful people and info on the forum. Cheers.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

The Paj looks in great nic for that many klms !

Where do you carry the second spare you mentioned ?
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• El_Freddo
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2018
        • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Good read mate. Not too bad a part of the world. I left Castlemaine and headed to NT about 20+ years ago. Plenty of helpful people and info on the forum. Cheers.
        That’s funny Dickins, we left the territory 30 years ago when I was a kid! Dad too is 4wdn in his willy’s jeep a few times into some speccie places that you can’t access anymore. Some awesome indigenous rock painting were visited that you can’t without special permission these days!

Bendigo is definitely our place to be - centralised in Vic makes it easy to get to just about anywhere other than Gippsland! We were in Shepparton for five years (work), and that felt like it was miles away from anything! I didn’t realise how much I loved hills until shortly after moving to Shepp. The nearest hill in ANY direction was about 40 mins away!

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        The Paj looks in great nic for that many klms !

Where do you carry the second spare you mentioned ?
        Thanks Ian, it’s very clean for it’s age and Kms. Number of km doesn’t bother us - on models we know! So to take on a vehicle that had a few less than ours was a bit of an educated gamble after some research, and it’s working out well for us. All we did for the road worthy was a new windscreen, fan belts and an under carriage wash

I do need to check the cam chain tensioner/follower situation that I’ve read about and I’ve got a new seal to put on the front output on the transfer case as this forms a droplet of oil after a drive - but doesn’t drop it yet...

As for the second spare, it’s not carried with us atm. The PO had it for their trip around Oz and I believe it lived on the camper trailer they were towing. It should come in handy at some point

Only annoying downer for me is the lack of air vents in the middle seats for cooling. I thought there would’ve been some vents in the back of the console for the middle occupants - but there’s only foot setting vents which don’t do much when you need them to. Small thing that’s not much different to the Subaru with zero vents (or AC atm).

Cheers

Bennie
        2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

Images updated.

Second battery died a few weeks ago. We were very lucky with that one. The second battery was boiling itself dry due to a collapsed cell. The Parana second battery charger was still connecting the battery... Wasn't a fun situation.

Since then, I've found that the driving lights were wired to the second battery. Odd. UHF radio I can understand being wired into the second battery. I was a bit disappointed when I tried to use it for a road trip only to find it didn't work since the battery's removal. In Ruby Scoo my UHF has a switch to direct power from the second battery or from the primary battery's ignition accessories position or to keep the radio off without having to touch the radio...

Small things but we're still loving it! And it's a dream to tow with! I can't wait to tow a car on a trailer to really compare it.

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X