• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Throttle controller - ebay cheapie review

Hi yawl,

I picked up a cheap throttle controller off ebay ~$100 and have seem them as low as around 80.
    It's the Eittar 9S model

A mate has both the idrive and the cheaper original kings and speaks highly off them both .
    He has said the idrive has more options but if you just want the increase in throttle sensitivity they both do a similar job.

With that info in hand I figured I'd roll the dice on a one similarly priced to the kings, since they didn't have them available since the first launch and feedback seemed to be good.
    They have released another unit after I got this one but it seems to need a phone connection to control and I didn't like that.
    I'd prefer one with a controller on dash .
    This one is tiny.
    here it is compared to a AA battery

Connection is made like all others, via an inline plug that connects between the throttle and the original cable.
    This is what it looks like out of the box and what is included. Not much, but all you need I guess.

Connection is a piece of cake and installation even easier.
    Since I lent it to a friend to test in his triton, I got used to reaching up and connecting/disconnecting without the need to physically see what i was going. All by feel.
    Although, I'm a bit nifty on unclasping bras (skill for life) in the dark too....just sayin.

This image is in the Pajero NT and you can see how it connects
    The circles are the 2 connectors.
    The top one goes to the original cable and the 2nd is fitted into the original socket.
    The arrow points down to the accelerator peddle for reference.

It couldn't be easier.

When you install it and take it for its first run, you notice immediately how much more responsive the vehicle is to throttle inputs.
    No, it does not remove turbo lag but I can tell you it certainly does improve things when the boost comes up.
    With the Paj, I've nearly got caught out a few times rolling up to a round about and trying to make a small gap.
    Hitting the loud pedal expecting to shoot the hole but ending up watching the car getting closer and not being able to do anything about it until it spooled up.
    It wasn't so much of an issue with the controller fitted but still warranted caution.

There mostly seems to be 2 schools of thought on these, with a few exceptions.
    Those who have tried them and speak positively of them and those who have not and will share their opinion as to WHY they can't work.
    Now whilst I have tried one, I'm not entirely wrapped but that is because of THIS specific unit.
    Yet overall, I must say I am a convert to the whole scenario and will be purchasing another ....maybe the idrive.

The reason this unit was not suitable (received an ebay refund because of it) is because at low speeds and exaggerated in Low range, the thing lurches like a bastard.
    I've tried everything to control the input to the pedal but nothing makes any difference. My friend who tested it on his triton reported the same issue.
    It all but becomes dangerous navigating car parks where slow speeds are required. It's also a bit embarrassing looking like a learner bunny hopping along in public.
    Granted when you get a bit of speed up it makes the drive more enjoyable but for my use, I can't forfeit that control when off road for a bit of extra acceleration at speed.

Now to how I tested it.
    This is not scientific but it was the best I could do with what I had available.

To get the data, I used my OBD2 reader and the torque app and did a few runs 0-60kmh
    Frankly I was a little surprised at the results.
    Granted, I could have done multiple passes but getting the footage took its own time and editing it down was over 3-4 hours. So it's already a fair investment in time but I hope it's sufficient to give you an idea of what they're like.

The test involved starting at the same spot and testing in settings 1, 5, 9 and no controller.
    There are 9 settings all up, with level 1 the lowest setting but still increasing sensitivity. This was the setting I used most of the time as anything higher was just to exaggerated on the bunny hop scenario.
    I was hoping to have a setting to lower sensitivity like the idrive for off road but this one does not do that. It's all up and up.

For those who will say, just push the throttle harder or further, all tests involved putting the throttle FLAT to the floor.
    So no, it couldn't go any further, so in theory it removes that item for debate.

Here are the settings I used in the toque app .
    I detailed the max settings and time below each run.
    from left to right they are 1,5,9 and no controller.
    Interestingly SP1 was quickest followed by SP5 and SP9 consecutively with no controller coming in last for this test.
    Boost with the controller reached up to 32PSI with no controller staying at 14.7.
    So this could explain the harder acceleration.
    The speed difference between the quickest controller run and no controller was 3.5 seconds.
    I don't think there is any argument that can be made here to say they don't do anything and it's all in your head.

I hope this helps any one considering the purchase and also help you not to fall for this model I went with.

I fully expect some vigorous discussion over this one, but keeping it respectful would be nice

As always, here's the video of the tests and an example of the issues I experienced with it.

(with corrected data - thanks Keith)

Image lower data corrected also

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
    Last edited by denmonkey; 21-11-18, 11:03 PM.
  • Flying
    • Jul 2016
    • Sydney

Nice post, interesting to see the data logger output. When using the idrive, its absolutely clear that it's not just a harder acceleration input, you simply cannot get the car to respond in the same way with it switched off, doesn't matter how hard you press...

Having said that all that, I kind of prefer it switched off, I find it too jerky / touchy... the mrs loves it though... go figure...
    White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• denmonkey
      • Oct 2017
      • Newcastle NSW

Thanks Flying.

interesting to hear you found the idrive jerky.

My mate says his idrive is fine.

Did you watch the video ? if you did, does yours respond like mine where I'm on the track and lerch like that ?

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Interesting results - thanks for posting.

I've always been one who wonders how they can make a difference, but people I trust report that they do. And now your results seem pretty definitive.

So, can anybody explain how a throttle controller makes a difference to the maximum boost?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

Thanks Flying.

Did you watch the video ? if you did, does yours respond like mine where I'm on the track and lerch like that ?

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

cheers NJ.

Yeah, the boost change really surprised me a lot.

Plus going flat to the floor not hitting 100% without the controller.

and of course setting 1 being quickest. I guess it just suits the car better.

I'm wondering if it alters something else other than just throttle input ?
            Unfortunately, I can't tell you more than just provide the results from my tests.

cheers Brett

Comment

• Flying
              • Jul 2016
              • Sydney

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
              Thanks Flying.

Just watched it... I don't think it's that bad, jerky might be the wrong word.. It's just extremely sensitive when it's on, maybe I'm just used to the stock throttle control levels... I mean it absolutely transforms the car, it goes so much better... I Just find on dirt roads etc it's too touchy for my liking. When you're on the highway and want to overtake its great though, easy fix, just turn it off off-road
              White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

excellent thanks Flying.

If it was I wouldn't be considering the idrive as an option.

I've noticed a big difference taking it out, but to be honest, I'm ok with it.

The first day was hardest and theres been a couple of time where I've gone to put the foot down and wondered why I wasn't going anywhere.

I have to be a little careful getting used to it without it.

cheers for getting back to me.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Sydney

Where does the boost come from? The most I ever see would be 19psi max. Does the iDrive show similar boost?
                  At a guess it seems like the unit is fooling the ecu perhaps akin to the egr mod many have done.

What’s the maximum safe boost engine tuners use for the 4M41 anyway?
                  NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Keithyv
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

0 - 60 km/h in 19 seconds with no controller ?
                    If that was true something is seriously wrong with your car!
                    Something is wrong with your readings.

Going by the video all the times are way out.
                    Last edited by Keithyv; 21-11-18, 08:56 PM.
                    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

At 32PSI boost the MAP would have put you in limp mode. Actually well before that.

Comment

• denmonkey
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Newcastle NSW

there was discussion on another forum about whether or not the controller may also be altering the boost reading that is being output to the ecu and thus the torque app.

Not sure on what response would be expected as a result of high boost.

Unfortunately I could only show what results I got and let others make up there own minds.

Could be right Kieth that does sound awfully slow. I was going of the time that abode places in the video. That's the reading I went off.

Just checked the video and the time on the screen against the time on the video. seems to match.

Keep in mind, I'm fully loaded.

full set of bash plates including fuel tank and rear, sliders, Aux battery 35L water tank, fridge, roof cage, solar panels, bull bar with winch and running on 32s plus anything else I've forgotten. So probably best not to compare it to a standard Paj run.

I don't get there quick but I GET there

I think we all know you can get a quicker take off by not going flat to the floor but I did this to remove the 'push your foot further down to get the same results' arguement.
                        Last edited by denmonkey; 21-11-18, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Keithyv
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2018
                          • Perth

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
                          Could be right Kieth that does sound awfully slow. I was going of the time that abode places in the video. That's the reading I went off.

Just checked the video and the time on the screen against the time on the video. seems to match.

Eh? in the video with no throttle controller it takes from about 8:13 to 8:23 which is 10 seconds.
                          I think your Adobe is off by a factor of 2
                          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• denmonkey
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                            Eh? in the video with no throttle controller it takes from about 8:13 to 8:23 which is 10 seconds.
                            I think your Adobe is off by a factor of 2

Just did another test and you're bloody well right.

I'll see what i can do to get that sorted.

So as a correction

Sp1 6 seconds
                            Sp5 6.5
                            Sp9 7.1
                            No Controller 9.5

so the difference to 60 is about 3.5 seconds.

Funny no one spotted it....neither did I
                            video data corrected
                            Last edited by denmonkey; 21-11-18, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• NTBenny
                              • May 2017
                              • Newcastle

Great video as usual Brett. I have a funny feeling your boost reading is Absolute Pressure. If you subtracted 14.5 from your readings it would be much closer to what would be a normal boost pressure for your car. Also note that when you start each run the boost is already at 14.5psi before you smash the peddle. Now why does the boost reading not increase with no throttle controller I'm not sure yet.

Benny
                              Last edited by NTBenny; 22-11-18, 09:27 AM.
                              2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X