Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Old 05-06-17

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have your engine rebuilt than transpant another brand new one from Nissan?
Old 05-06-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshF View Post
don't the chip manufacturers provide full warranty for their products in the case of a blown motor as part of the peace of mind they want for customers??
They all do until you make a claim
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

We all have to accepted that with a modern turbo diesels there are legimate reasons why a manufacturer chooses a power level. I am sure MMAL would like to be class leader in power and/or economy, and should have the brains trust to tune their motors to get this. The fact they pick a level should tell us bad things will happen if we tweak above this.

My motor is untouched for this reason. Sure love more torque down low and happy to get any free lunch but would probably find things that never break will start breaking.

Or maybe MMAL traction control or towbar design teams tuned the motor
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
We all have to accepted that with a modern turbo diesels there are legimate reasons why a manufacturer chooses a power level. I am sure MMAL would like to be class leader in power and/or economy, and should have the brains trust to tune their motors to get this. The fact they pick a level should tell us bad things will happen if we tweak above this.

My motor is untouched for this reason. Sure love more torque down low and happy to get any free lunch but would probably find things that never break will start breaking.

Or maybe MMAL traction control or towbar design teams tuned the motor
Tune within factory software boundaries and don't do extreme engine mods there is no reason for them to deny warranty ... some cowboys chase HP and Torque .. a reputable tuner will refuse their business so as not to harm their reputation ...

For many a decade there have been after market tunes or say hi spec models of each vehicle of which they mod'd with in safe parameter's from factory (HSV is a classic example)... same motors reaching higher spec's with in house mods and tunes and paying a fortune for ... hence the Tune shop's were created as an affordable option to the consumers ...

We tune motorcycles and have never had a knock back in 20yrs + with warranty ... tune for road then for track ... a customer knows there and then when they sign and are liable for

There is a grey cloud hovering with fear of loss of warranty and put the shoe on the other foot then see it from a manufacturers view ... they are in their right to deny a claim if it has actually cause of detination of their motor vehicles engine ... engineering is only limited to time frame of which they can only produce a product within time given ... then it's up to aftermarket operators own time and money to improve on this ... many hours of testing go into the reputable companies of which are world wide and back their products (you get what you pay for in the end). ....

last but not least at the end of the day it's up to the consumer to think and venture outside of the box ... do your research and choose wisely ...

NB
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom View Post
They all do until you make a claim
you speak from personal experience ?

(had a mate that new a mate) first hand experience pls ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 05-06-17
Valued Member

I am more thinking on driveline strain. The 2.5HP apart from poor block machining on a significant number appears otherwise pretty indestructible. Any tune for a manual would recover the 50nm surrendered by MMAL to protect the auto on the autos.

My concern is the CVs are reasonably strong on the Challenger but increased lift puts pressure on them. Trimming droop stops further plays with fire. Then add more power and things start to look dicey. In my case the 40% lower transfer gear is further multiplying torque.

At some point things that normally do not break will. Of course, MMAL has to factor in idoit drivers that are more than capable of destroying anything. In sympathic hands modification trade-offs should not be a problem.

Also, MMAL has to very worried by emissions while tuner may not be as concerned.

If there was a magic bullet to increase torque from 700-1500rpm I might be more inclined to shell out the rather large amount of money demanded. But this area strikes the simple fact that there is only one turbo. More than happy with standard torque and power above 2000 rpm. Though with DooSo greater weight a bit more torque would be handy on long climbs. Or a manual gearbox not so inclined to balk on downshifts.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 06-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleriver View Post
you speak from personal experience ?

(had a mate that new a mate) first hand experience pls ...

I would love to see an after market tuner pay $10,000 for a motor rebuild or even $4,000 for an auto box rebuild.

As I posted on here before. The Jatco box in the NS is not capable of handling the extra power put out by NT hence MM going to the Aisin box. The NS motor could have been tuned very close in not equal to the NT by MM but they realised it could cause gear box problems. If you go playing with and increase KW and torque on the NS you could have problems.

You want to do an ECU remap, go for it. We wouldn't.
Old 16-06-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterng View Post
Short story long.it happened a few years ago.
The teenage daughter dropped the iPhone, I told her time and bloody time again to get a case...did'nt listen...iphone falls on concrete..cracked screen and dies. The iphone is 3 months out of 12 month warranty..
Your problem kid...suck it up..learn from your mistake, buy a new phone and get a bloody protective phone case.
What she does...goes to Appleshop, tells them an embellished 1/2 truth story...they give her a refurbish iPhone same model...at no cost!
WTF...
At least Apple could have charged her some $$$ for the exercise...
One good thing but...she did go and get a protective case...
Still treats her mobile like shite...
I used to work briefly in Apple Care, so i can imagine what the story went like.

She would have told the person she interacted with, that the phone got unusually hot when charging/using etc, and the heat caused her to drop the phone unintentionally from her hands, thereby cracking the screen.

This story when liberally sprinkled with threats of invoking ACCC, and lawsuits, along with a protagonist with great oratory and convincing skills makes for a rather compelling story, and also a difficult position to be in for the company. Hence, the escalation channel is followed, and the company decides to provide an act of goodwill. Interestingly, the swapped over device is a refurbished device, but the flawless exterior makes the customer think they managed a bargain and thereby satisfied.

I have seen customers (mostly the feminine variety) do this, and its all too familiar. As a junior in the chain of customer support, i followed protocol and escalated such requests.
Old 16-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb29 View Post
I used to work briefly in Apple Care, so i can imagine what the story went like.

She would have told the person she interacted with, that the phone got unusually hot when charging/using etc, and the heat caused her to drop the phone unintentionally from her hands, thereby cracking the screen.

This story when liberally sprinkled with threats of invoking ACCC, and lawsuits, along with a protagonist with great oratory and convincing skills makes for a rather compelling story, and also a difficult position to be in for the company. Hence, the escalation channel is followed, and the company decides to provide an act of goodwill. Interestingly, the swapped over device is a refurbished device, but the flawless exterior makes the customer think they managed a bargain and thereby satisfied.

I have seen customers (mostly the feminine variety) do this, and its all too familiar. As a junior in the chain of customer support, i followed protocol and escalated such requests.
Got any more hot tips