Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 29-09-16
Valued Member

Default Carrying Fuel vs Checkpoint Filling in the Outback

For outback long trips both Petrol & Diesel what do you normally do when leaving civilization & traveling big distances.

Do you carry alot of fuel in your trailer like at least 4x20L jerrys? Which could fit easily around the sides without taking up alot of box space. In addition to LR tanks too.

Some say if you carry too much fuel your economy is hit & its cheaper in the long run to fill up at the next stop even if small places are expensive. Does this really happen & what were the details? Given it might only be 100-150KG of fuel.
Maybe a balance is what most experienced trekkers do? After all you have alot of water weight too. Although diesel has the advantage over petrol. I'd still like to hear how Petrol drivers do it.

When do you have to carry a trailer? Is it a personal preference thing? Do the rough roads & corrugations prevent a standard box trailer being carried? I just can't ever imagine not carrying a lite box even if I was on my own. But I tend to keep everything more loose & accessible.
In my situation with out a trailer, all I could carry is 40L of fuel on roofrack as other stuff is up there. I'm sure with Diesel this will get you through just?

Just eager to learn from your experience & trips.

thanks
Old 29-09-16
Valued Member

Where you going is the question
Old 29-09-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green troll View Post
Where you going is the question
You beat me to it! All depends on where you're going (and your vehicle's fuel capacity/range)

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 08-10-16

If you know that you are going to go on some rough roads for a long period of time the ordinary trailer won't be good enough
Old 08-10-16

Unless you're going right out there, long range tank, maybe an extra jerry can.
But top up at the remote fuel places. If you don't they'll close down and then everyone has to cart a fuel tanker behind them. The incremental cost of a few top ups at higher prices isn't the end of the world. And every little bit helps the people who provide services in the country.
Are you self sufficient with food, breakdown, medical support? or do you assume that someone will provide those services who lives in the area?
Most people carry that much extra crap in their vehicles that they stand more chance of breaking stuff due to overloading than they'll benefit from the 'just in case' stuff they are carrying.
If you're struggling for fuel range, try releasing the pressure on the loud peddle and carrying less ballast.

Back to reality How many places can you go in Australia these days where a long range tank and maybe a jerry can extra won't get you to the next fuel stop? Tanami? Ann Beadell? Canning Stock route (takes the trailer out of the equation as well)? And even they have fuel available at different locations.
Old 12-10-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Unless you're going right out there, long range tank, maybe an extra jerry can.
But top up at the remote fuel places. If you don't they'll close down and then everyone has to cart a fuel tanker behind them. The incremental cost of a few top ups at higher prices isn't the end of the world. And every little bit helps the people who provide services in the country.
Are you self sufficient with food, breakdown, medical support? or do you assume that someone will provide those services who lives in the area?
Most people carry that much extra crap in their vehicles that they stand more chance of breaking stuff due to overloading than they'll benefit from the 'just in case' stuff they are carrying.
If you're struggling for fuel range, try releasing the pressure on the loud peddle and carrying less ballast.

Back to reality How many places can you go in Australia these days where a long range tank and maybe a jerry can extra won't get you to the next fuel stop? Tanami? Ann Beadell? Canning Stock route (takes the trailer out of the equation as well)? And even they have fuel available at different locations.
Thanks,

Without a trailer I just don't see the space available for a few people, unless you are eating poverty grade & showering with 5L of water, id prefer to enjoy my self. Can't a trailer with shocks & the rest of it take the canning unless its some legal thing?

Why are things braking? I would take the track slow & enjoy it.

Personally I have no interest in such tracks as I have absolutely no doubt the Paj isn't tuff enough for it. And such tracks would cause the Paj to become a worn rattling bucket of bolts. I think an old truck that you don't care about would be best.
Old 13-10-16

If you're unsure why things get broken on country roads and why trailers and canning stock route don't mix then you may need to spend a little time with google.

Instead of trying to work out how to carry lots of fuel, maybe work backwards from your intended mission. Work out time/fuel/food/water/weight/volume you will require then you worry about how to carry it it all.
A B-double tanker can carry plenty of fuel but that might not be appropriate.
Old 16-10-16

Any road that hasn't been graded in a while is capable of destroying a standard box trailer. Sometimes the welds just can't handle the vibrations and if you've ever been on a corrugated track you'll know that taking it slow doesn't necessarily mean less vibration.
Old 16-10-16
Valued Member

We have only carried fuel with us when driving through the Kimberley and we had 3x 20L jerry cans on the roof. I was very mindful of the weight so these were only ever filled if I was unsure fuel was available at the next stop and I couldn't get to the following one comfortably. I actually ended up stuffing up my calculations and carried too much fuel the 4x times I filled them, considering we don't have a long range tank I was surprised however the areas of the Kimberley we went weren't that remote.

I feel we were overweight and only had 2 of us. We are now looking at camper trailers or overland trailers for future touring. Mainly to provide easier more organised storage and take a heap of weight out of the car, but also to provide space for a few jerry cans.

In regards to the canning mentioned above, the lower section actually doesn't allow trailers.
2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com
Old 17-10-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroma View Post
Any road that hasn't been graded in a while is capable of destroying a standard box trailer. Sometimes the welds just can't handle the vibrations and if you've ever been on a corrugated track you'll know that taking it slow doesn't necessarily mean less vibration.
Have seen every brand of flash camper with smashed suspension. The Kimberly ones are a nightmare to get parts for.

Maintance along with correct size bearings are the key. Sticking a tyre bigger then a 15" car tyre on ford bearings is asking for trouble.
2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do