• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie9
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Central Coast NSW

Lean angle in challenger?

Im curious about what is possible as far as lean angle, driving across the slope, in the challenger. I ask as I was negotiating some rock steps and I got to a point that made me very nervous about the angle. Upon looking back at a mates video it didnt look anything to worry about.
    I guess its one of the things you never want to go to far but its good to know what is possible.

cheers
    2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by cookie9 View Post
    Im curious about what is possible as far as lean angle, driving across the slope, in the challenger.

cheers

hope this helps

NB since you have a lift it may be less then shown on this diagram as your centre of mass is now higher

Last edited by littleriver; 31-03-15, 02:10 PM.
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• cookie9
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Central Coast NSW

ok great, I should rtfm

45 degrees would be nerve racking! At least I know roughly where the limit is!

cheers
      2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Gee 35 inclinations a bit average. Gen2 paj can do 40 per the manual. 45 cross angle would be pretty gnarly
        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Challenger auto will climb greater than 35 degrees if the entry of the climb is shallower and you have traction, and some momentum. As will most 4wds particularly if they are autos.
          I am not sure how manufacturers arrive at the figures but I think the only way to really test it, is to have a high friction surface so traction is not a limiting issue and find the angle at which a stationary vehicle can start off on an angle and move up the slope. This will test the torque of the engine and the ability of the clutch or torque convertor to get the power to the wheels without either the engine stalling or the clutch/torque convertor slipping. This maximum angle will change depending on vehicle weight, the more weight the lesser the angle.

Side slope, most people have trouble controlling a vehicle at over 30 degrees, there will be a big difference between the stationary roll over angle and the dynamic roll over angle (vehicle moving). Raising the vehicle by 50mm will have little effect on the stationary rollover angle particularly if the springs are much firmer because with standard soft suspension there will be a larger difference between the road angle and the lateral centreline of the vehicle as weight transfer will compress the springs on the low side and have a greater effect on the repositioning of the centre of gravity. A vehicle that is heavily loaded above the top of setback height or even worse a loaded roof rack will have a lower rollover angle. Put the vehicle in motion and add some cornering forces then the actual rollover will be much less than 45 degrees. Manufacturers do not state whether the "rollover angle" is at tare, kerb or GVM, stationary or moving. My belief is it can only be at tare and stationary as these are fixed parameters.

cheers, old Jack.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• whitehillbillies
            • May 2013
            • Northern NSW.Australia

Don't go here.
            I was looking at a 20m drop.
            Undermined road, at work.
            Road dropped from under me.
            Took ages to get the stain off the seat

whitehillbillies
            Attached Files

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

My thoughts was that the climb figures were for things like lubrication levels (eg oil pickup), however thats purely guessing.
              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                My thoughts was that the climb figures were for things like lubrication levels (eg oil pickup), however thats purely guessing.
                Certainly a consideration TC but the 4D56 base engine goes back to Gen1 & Gen 2 Pajero's, the sumps on these engines are quite deep, and short in length so I do not think oil pickup would be an issue. Carburettor petrol engines pre EFI would run out of fuel due to the float in the carry bowl not being able to keep the bowl full of fuel.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Interesting reading. Yes the 45 degree and little bump then over you go. Curious how you gauge such angles from the driver's seat. People outside the car appear not nearly concerned as those in it. I dread the slide and bump on the cross fall of a muddy track as dynamic load is unknown.

Yes twice now my family has encountered road edge failures. This is becoming more a worry as forestry roads fail in Tassie and people attempt their own repairs.
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

I've found in most cases the 20c --> 0c --> 20c factor will determine the side lean angle you can tolerate and that you'll usually call it quits before the car will
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Some years back my wife and I were ar the 4WD Supershow in Sydney. We went on the 4WD test track in the rear of a Mercedes 4WD. It tilted over at a really shallow angle - way less than 15 Degrees side slope. I commented that my NL Pajero wouldn't get that far. The driver replied that it would easily eat that side slope. I replied that My wife would be screaming a lot earlier than this angle. He laughed. Wife didn't.... It is now what you are in but how deep you are at the time.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X