Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 13-07-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Joe, if your in a bit of a jam with money, pm me and I can send you some stuff to both clean out the engine, clean your fuel system properly and prolong it's life fro no cost. (Out of my own stock)
Happy to do it as having two new twins would be enough of a challenge without worrying about car issues.

Cheers,
Hi Basil,
I must admit I'm a bit teary from your reply.
Thank you for your generous offer.
Well get through this but I will pm you
Jo.
Old 13-07-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Joe, if your in a bit of a jam with money, pm me and I can send you some stuff to both clean out the engine, clean your fuel system properly and prolong it's life fro no cost. (Out of my own stock)
Happy to do it as having two new twins would be enough of a challenge without worrying about car issues.

Cheers,
Nice one Basil.
Old 13-07-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Nice one Basil.
Couldn't agree more
Old 22-07-16

I got a lovely phone call from Jo and her hubby the other morning to say they had received their stuff in the mail.
It came jut half an hour after I had just had my dog put down at home and I needed to hear her happy voice.
Putting an animal down is one of the hardest things I have ever done. God bless you little Oska.

Thank you Jo.
Old 22-07-16

Quote:
I got a lovely phone call from Jo and her hubby the other morning to say they had received their stuff in the mail.
It came jut half an hour after I had just had my dog put down at home and I needed to hear her happy voice.
Putting an animal down is one of the hardest things I have ever done. God bless you little Oska.

Thank you Jo.
Oh Barry. I'm so deeply sorry

Our neighbours just had to do the same thing. I still cry when I think about what they've just been through. The same neighbours took our chickens off our hands. I cried like a baby.
Animals are so precious. Ours have always been our babies.

You are one in a million Barry. Words cannot express our gratitude for what you have done for us.

RIP Oska.

Love Us
xxxxxx

Last edited by Joe72; 22-07-16 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Incorrect spelling.
Old 04-09-16

Ive been searching the forums for information on Valve Stem Seal replacement when I stumbled across this feed (thanks Joe).

I also have a 6G74, in a NK. Done now 236,000kms and since purchasing it @ 198,000kms it has always blown blue smoke after idling but doesn't take long to clear.
While Ive owned it, its always consumed oil. Between 8-10,000km services I usually top up with about another 1.5 to 2Ltrs.
Ive tried Heavier Oils & additives which reduce consumption and smoking a tad. The smoking is getting gradually worse tho.

Last week while I had the trans out and Exhaust pipes off (I was doing a Rear Main Seal), I noticed oil inside the Exhaust Manifolds- more so in the Passenger side but also evident in the drivers side too. This explains the blue smoke I guess...

Cheers,
Dav

Dual Batteries, heavy Springs, GME UHF, ARB steel Winch Bar, Grande 12000lb winch & Korr LED spot lights from Supercentre, 20in Tigerz11 Lightbar, 2x3m Awning, GLS 16"alloys wrapped in Hercules TeraTrac R/S, LRA 50L aux & 150L tank.
Shortened TJM alloy rack to allow Tent on the rear.

Next: install rear storage, fridge slide & work light. Also install Air Compressor & tank.
Old 23-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble88 View Post
OK, here is what I have found:

A business in Perth West. Aust, has reconditioned a 6G74 ( Your engine ) cylinder head and had it on Gumtree in 2014 for $320. That is a brand new top end for your engine, it includes all the valves etc. A mechanic would use your rocker cover, and install all new gaskets (Extra cost ) and bolt on your new head, attach the manifolds, new oil and oil filter done. This is a relatively easy job, should not cost too much in labour. You wont have any issues with a mechanic doing that for you.

Why am I suggesting a company in WA, well you could phone this guy ask him if he has another complete head in stock, freight it to Tassie. Then you could get a mechanic to install it. However it would probable be cheaper to find an engine re-bulder in Tassie and ask him how much to recondition your head. Or if it is cheaper, google search Tasmania Cylinder head re-conditioners, if none, try Qld, from my searching they seem to be engine rebuild capital. Then get a mechanic to fit it.

The Tassie engine rebuilder, may have a company that he can buy an exchange head from. You get a cheaper head with all the gear, in exchange for your old head for them to recondition.

A japanese low km import, complete engine seems to go for $2000 to 2500. In japan once an engine has done a certain amount of KM, the government states it must be taken off the road. It is something like 10,000 km I think.

A reconditioned complete engine for $3000 to 4000.

A complete second hand engine from the wreckers $600 to 1000.

Bear in mind that Jap. import engine could be sitting for 10 years, considering yours is a 1999 model. Not that is a huge issue, just may need an engine flush or extra work to get it to function well.

Second hand engine, comes with a history, you could get a good one or not. From what I have read the 6G74 engine is a solid beast, so second hand is possible.

It is a sad indictment on our society that it is easier and more cost effect to replace parts like a cylinder head, than try repair a valve seal.
Thanks scribble88, very informative. It's now 2019 and I'm considering my future. I trust you are alive and well =))