• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMC89TD2.5
    • Apr 2017
    • Newcastle, NSW

torque front wheel outer bearings

HI all,
    I've currently got wheels, calipers, hubs, rotors , inner & outer tie rods, lower ball joints & shocks off my NG swb import (initially to replace shocks, went deep) AT HOME replacing rotors, tie rods, lower ball joints & shocks. I didn't really know what I was doing to start & have overcome a lot of difficulties to get this far.

Anyway, to put it back together, the outer wheel bearing races are supposed to be torqued using the 'ring nut', which threads on to the outer knuckle assembly (see thread below for pics on what I mean).
    I'm finding a nut wrench socket to fit extremely hard to find, I'm looking at either getting one manufactured or do as the guy on this thread did: http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads...1074827/1.html
    in post #1047830, near the bottom of first page, -- or save time, buy this tool http://performancetool.com/item.aspx?iid=218
    & cut off two of the pins, as it is not actually designed for our beloved vehicles.
    I've got a cheap driver set for the inside bearings, thought about it for the outers, but the bearing place bloke suggested that wasn't a good idea, which I agree with.

Any further knowledge greatly appreciated.
  • Zachman
    • Jul 2018
    • Brisbane

Could you get a piece of pipe and grind it so that it has the two little spigots? Then weld a nut on or something? I’m going to be doing the same thing shortly, so I’d be interested in following your solution.

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

I made this one for a Nissan, but same principle for MITS I would expect.
      2" water pipe was a good fit in this instance.
      Separation of the tangs can be adjusted by squeezing (or belting with large hammer) at an appropriate point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_195642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	984125
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• 1989pajero
        • Mar 2016
        • Brandon Mississippi

I had to make one a few months back. I used a socket that was close to the nut diameter, ground out grooves, and welded 2 8mm bolts to it to fit the holes. It worked but broke after a single use. I just had to make something with what I had. It would have worked better if I had harder bolts

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X