• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Only reporting how I found them. First up brought the Treds as could not justify the extra for the MaxTrax but in the field found I preferred the MaxTrax and when the Treds cracked rather lost faith in them. So when Supercheap had MaxTrax for $268 brought two sets. Actually only one set to begin with but again based on recent experience decided the second set worthwhile.

Actually when cleaning both at the car wash found the Treds much more painful than the MaxTraxs as well. According to a friend I am not the first person to have found this out.

The double ended MaxTrax is also better as despite care you can destroy the lugs on one end. Treds you get no chance to learn to be gentle with wheel spin.

The wider foot print of the MaxTraxs plus probably better ground grip meant they stayed in place longer while the Treds quickly got spat out in mud. On sand probably much of a muchness.

So pay your money and take your chances.

Let you know on Treds' warranty. And yes I am past keeping receipts so be more a case of trust by them and photographic proof. Warranties requiring receipts are just not worth much to busy people. Hence, my preference for Repco tools. If it stuff up you hand it over and get another one. However, never happy when things fail. Hope my faith in MaxTrax is rewarded with a long life. Time will tell.
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ent View Post
      Hi

That left an impression with with my Treds cracking So decided what the hell and brought four MaxTraxs and the matching joiners and pegs.

Cheers

I agree with Old Jack, although I only have 1 pair myself so far.

The way I look at it, spending $100 less on an inferior product is not saving $100, it's wasting $180

JMO

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Hookie
        • Dec 2015
        • Coffs Harbour

Originally posted by Ent View Post
        The double ended MaxTrax is also better as despite care you can destroy the lugs on one end. Treds you get no chance to learn to be gentle with wheel spin.
        This was the deciding factor for me when I was tossing up betwen maxtrax and treds. I have 4 maxtrax, got them during a "buy anything, get anything else half off" sale at BCF, so $450 for the set. Haven't used them yet, but one day I'm sure I will and I'm sure I'll be very happy to have them.
        SOLD - 2004 Exceed Di-D, 2" Lovells-Lovells lift, Boo's sump/intercooler/transmission guards, 4 way breather, dual batteries, General Grabber AT2s, Tough Toys LED awning

Comment

• Poita
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • Adelaide

I purchased a set of the Tred Pros. A compete redesign and looks like a very well thought out product. I have used both the previous model treds and maxtrax without any issues The maxtrax did seem to melt lugs easier though.
          NW VRX MY2013
          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I too have melted lugs on one Maxtrax, very easy to do if running aggressive tread tyres. It only takes a 10 or 20 seconds of wheel spin and the lugs are gone. If you have good traction control then it less of a concern but on the Challenger you need to be very careful.

Wheel spin occurs when there is none of the cars weight is on the Maxtrax, solutions are to dig more from under the car once the Maxtrax is in place so you get some weight transfer or my preferred option as I do not like digging and this is quicker, is to jack the wheel up and place the Maxtrax under the wheel then lower the weight of the car down onto the Maxtrax.

I have also used a long handle shovel to lever the Maxtrax under the tyre as the wheel begins to turn but this is a technique that requires 2 skilled people and an automatic transmission, extreme care and clear communication are required because if you get it wrong then injury and damage to the car and recovery gear will result.

So on easy recoveries I use the conventional dig with the Maxtrax method, if the car is bellied out I use the jack, place and lower method. If it is a deep soft bog like on the waters edge and an incoming tide or the car is at an unsafe incline to jack then it is the long handle shovel method. The jack, place and lower method will work 100% every time but it does take longer and you do get dirtier!

I have also used 2 Maxtrax's and my spare tyre as a car ramp when travelling. You have to tie the Maxtraxs together and then throught the rim spokes so to Maxtrax cannot slip but can pivot. It looks like a see-saw, so as you drive up the ramp the Maxtrax pivot flat and are resting across the rim. This way the tyre is always on the Maxtrax and the load is spread evenly across the rim. I use a rubber floor mat to protect the alloy rims face from scratching.

cheers, OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• paj whisperer
              • May 2013
              • Ellenbrook

Just my two bobs worth
              I bought 2 x 1100mm TREDS when I first got the Paj and hardly needed them, only used them twice.
              Before going on a 7 week road trip over Christmas both on and off road with the trailer, (after much deliberating as to whether I needed a 2nd pair) I decided to buy a 2nd pair (just in case).
              The first time I needed them when I got stuck with the trailer on, they proved their weight in gold. Used them quite a few more times on the trip as they are quick and easy to use and was very impressed. I have had no probs with cracking or melting lugs.
              Adrian
              2010 NT GLS - Maxxis 980 Bravo A/T 275/65R17, ARB Bullbar&Tow Bar Pack, Rhino Rack Platform, Sunseeker II Awning, Milford Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabba Mats,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Dr Air Pro 150L/m, Oricom UHF280, 1100mm TREDS, SPVi EGR Module Mk3.1 Plug and Play, Scorpion Quad Diff Breather Kit, Bushskinz Under Body Protection, Runva 11XP, Red Arc Dual battery Setup, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Rear Cargo Drawers Custom made,Batman Lights
              Next Project: Rear Gull Wing windows

Comment

• Natator
                • Jan 2011
                • Brisbane

I only have two, MaxTrax, and they've always got me unstuck from mud. However, I can see situations where having 4 would be a bonus.

It's just the cost stopping me getting another pair. I'll be sticking with MaxTracks, if I can afford another pair, partly as I know they are good, and partly so they will all stack correctly.
                2007 NS DiD GLX, Auto. ECB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Parrot Handsfree, Spotties, Sliders, Rear Storage System, Bash Plates, Dual Battery, Roof Stuff.

RIP: Lost in 2011 QLD floods - 1995 NK GLX 2.8D, 5-speed Manual. ARB Bullbar, Spotties, Cargo Barrier, Tow Bar, Turbo Timer.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • doncaster east vic

Anyone tried the cheap ones off eBay? 4 1200 long for $165

I've never been in a position where I though gee I wish I had maxtrax so if I buy cheapie a I may never use them anyway.
                  Back from the Dark side
                  NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Ent
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • Tasmania

Hi

Brought Treds and they cracked first use. While at times anything is better than nothing in a recovery position you are already at plan B so often nice if things just work.

Cheers
                    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• underdog
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Campbelltown, NSW.

I've had just 2 of the 900mm long treds for going on 4yrs now and can honestly say they've been brilliant. I can count on 2 hands how many times I've used them but they've been more than enough in those situitions. 4 would probably be handier, but unless I start towing a trailer, I think using the winch would be just as easy.
                      2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
                      Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• serapax
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
                        Anyone tried the cheap ones off eBay? 4 1200 long for $165

I've never been in a position where I though gee I wish I had maxtrax so if I buy cheapie a I may never use them anyway.
                        I haven't tried those particular cheapies, but have had the Aldi ones for a couple of years now. From memory, they were around the $130 mark (for the pair), came with shackles and strapping to join them together for extra length, and seem very solid.
                        I did a course with a guy who had the Maxtrax and the edges all splintered off both of them on the rocks, making them pretty much junked. If they're likely to break anyway, I'm happy to go cheap
                        Last edited by serapax; 14-06-16, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X