• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eberbachl
    • May 2014
    • Doreen

99 NL 3.5L V6 Won't Start

Hi Everyone,

Strange issue here. My NL runs great, no dramas at all, only 180k kms on the clock. All good...

Until tonight. Was driving about, engine hot and stopped to pick my son up from a party. Parked for about ten minutes. Got back in the car, nothing! Lost all electrical power. No lights, no dash lights, no turn over... Nothing. Tried a few times and the lights would flick on then die. Rested another few minutes, tried another couple of times, then out of the blue, all lights turned on, turned over and started instantly. Drive home perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if it's a faulty relay somewhere, but have no clue as to where to start looking or how to test. Battery is a couple of years old but seems to be holding strong charge and the alternator is only about eight months old. I don't think it's a charging issue as when the lights came back on there was plenty of power and the motor turned over fine and started instantly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Luke. 👍
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Check the Battery terminals

Comment

• Eberbachl
      • May 2014
      • Doreen

Battery terminals are clean and tight. 👍

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

What about the main negative lead from the battery where it connects to the body of the vehicle. Is that CLEAN and TIGHT ?
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

if the wiring is all good then its probably either the battery is dieing or the starter motor is ..... the 3rd less likely and most horrible option is the engine is heat seizing.... lets not think of that option
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Eberbachl
            • May 2014
            • Doreen

Thanks for the ideas. Turns out the battery died. It had plenty of power but was intermittent and cutting out - either full power or zero power. Replaced the battery today and all good so far. Phew!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X