Below Nav Bar

Collapse

First Paj Purchase - what's the worst case cost scenario on 4LLC not locking in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregp
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

First Paj Purchase - what's the worst case cost scenario on 4LLC not locking in?

Hi guys,

Bitta background first...

First time post so be nice! Long time Commodore owner looking for our first Paj for a big lap next year (done two half laps with the VY Berlina Wagon and it did great but we want to explore a bit further).

So... we are looking to spend around $25k ideally on a NW although we'd consider a clean NT. The main features we're looking for are:
    * white in colour
    * reliability
    * rear air con
    * ideally MMCS so we get the reversing camera and sat nav (we could manage with the basic system and the in-mirror camera on the GLX-R)
    * ideally a diff lock, but mainly just 'cos rather than a necessity.

I'm not interested in getting burnt legs from leather seats or having a rear DVD player, so we'd pretty well settled on either a GLX-R (which gets the rear A/C, diff lock and reversing camera in the mirror), or VRX to get both as well as MMCS and install seat covers to deal with the leather parts of the seat.

There aren't many in our price point unfortunately. We've looked at a few (well aided by the inspection checklists athttps://www.redbook.com.au/editorial...006-13-112314/ and http://www.pajero.guru/mitsubishi-pajero-buying-guide/), and have driven three.

Today we drove a NW Exceed https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6288939/?Cr=4. Which is totally not what I was looking for - as I said not interested in leather, DVD, wood grain doesn't do anything for me and it's silver But SA had no VRX's available, the only local GLX-R was pretty tired, the price was OK and we could probably put up with those things if we had to. But this is the second Pajero we've driven where 4LLC hasn't locked in - the green lights have just kept flashing. I know from my browsing already that there can be various reasons for this, including the switch under the selector or solenoids. The owner said it normally takes about 30 seconds to lock in but it didn't do it while he was with us, nor while we were on our test drive.

So I'm wondering - 1) how long SHOULD it take to lock into a new drive mode, and 2) if I can get a good price on this car, should I take a punt and hope it's just the switch or a solenoid? If it's something more serious, what could the cost be?

The rest of the car was in reasonable nick, the bodywork was very good with only a small dent. There was some oil around the braided intercooler hoses coming out of the turbo and down to the right of the radiator which I assume is the intercooler exit point. And there were a few bits of damaged trim (cracked speedo plastic cover, a bit of centre console trim with a crack and one of the vent adjusters was missing its control slider). Apparently the 220000k has been country / freeway driving and it certainly drove nicely. We have several thousand of extras to put on (e.g. electric brakes, Anderson plug, CB, possibly a bull bar, maybe a dual battery), so I don't want to be paying too much for unexpected repairs.

Of course if someone's got a nice white VRX in Adelaide with all the right fruit... PM me!

Thanks,
    Greg
    NW Platinum 4M41
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

To get to or from 4LLc, stop car with front wheels straight ahead, put in N (assuming auto), shift to 4LLc, into D & let it creep forward in straight line - it should go solid quite quickly. Note wheels MUST stay straight ahead & in N - they won't shift if turned or in D. They can be a bit tempramental at times, but it should all work fairly quickly.
    Also, only move the transfer selector one position at a time, then wait until it is solid before moving to another position, or it will get confused & refuse to play ball.
    Different tyre sizes or uneven wear/pressures can upset them at times - these items must be matched.

I'd pass on any car where things don't work properly. If you can find one with all the extras you want it should work out cheaper than fitting it all yourself. Be patient and you will find the right car.
    Last edited by spot01; 06-12-19, 10:59 PM.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• carnut1100
      • Jun 2019
      • brisbane

As above, MUST be in N...won’t shift in P or any gear.

Comment

• gaudough
        • Jul 2011
        • Buderim

Originally posted by carnut1100 View Post
        As above, MUST be in N...won’t shift in P or any gear.
        100% must be in Neutral and not moving
        Regards Gordo

NW 2012 Activ DiD Auto, Graphite Grey, Full tint, H/D tow bar, Rear Diff Lock & A/C, TJM snorkel, TJM 50mm lift, TJM Bullbar & TJM Winch, XRay HiD Lights, BFG A/T KO2 265/70/17, HF VHF & UHF, IC400 Pro, Dual battery system, Dynamat.

Comment

• Stinky
          • Jul 2007
          • Gladstone, qld

Shame you're not a bit closer.
          The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
          My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
            • Aug 2016
            • Shoalhaven, NSW

I had issues with my NW VRX when I first purchased it as the Winnrun tyres the dealer fitted to the rear were not the correct size.

The were stamped as the correct size but were about 10% smaller.

Once I changed to better brand tyres everything worked without issue, even Dunlop on the front and Bridgestone on the rear worked as long as they were actually the same size.

Comment

• Poppabare
              • Jan 2014
              • Riverina NSW

My NW recently indicated that the centre diff was locked in when that was not the case. Local Mitsubishi dealer diagnosed the fault and fitted five new switches to the transfer case at a cost of about $850 parts plus one hour labour. I must admit the gearbox selection is much better now. MMA would not entertain an out of warranty claim even though the warranty expired less that 11 months ago and the vehicle had only travelled 128,000K.
              Poppabare.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Poppabare View Post
                My NW recently indicated that the centre diff was locked in when that was not the case. Local Mitsubishi dealer diagnosed the fault and fitted five new switches to the transfer case at a cost of about $850 parts plus one hour labour. I must admit the gearbox selection is much better now. MMA would not entertain an out of warranty claim even though the warranty expired less that 11 months ago and the vehicle had only travelled 128,000K.
                Poppabare.
                That is disappointing treatment by MMAL. If you bought it new & if not caused by abuse, I believe you may still have a statutory warranty claim under the Australian Consumer Law. I would be sending them a formal letter of claim quoting the ACL (a solicitor can help with a letter if needed or Office of Fair Trading may be able to assist). I detest manufacturers & retailers that won't honour their obligations under the ACL and try to bluff their way out.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  That is disappointing treatment by MMAL. If you bought it new & if not caused by abuse, I believe you may still have a statutory warranty claim under the Australian Consumer Law. I would be sending them a formal letter of claim quoting the ACL (a solicitor can help with a letter if needed or Office of Fair Trading may be able to assist). I detest manufacturers & retailers that won't honour their obligations under the ACL and try to bluff their way out.
                  To be fair, 128,000 k's, is the warranty 100,000k's?
                  That is 28% out of warranty, not 1%.
                  11 months past warranty period as well.

Not like the transmission had a catostrophic failure.

It was a failed switch, I highly doubt all 5 switches failed??

Dealer replaced all 5 switches at no cost too anyone but the owner, hence all 5 switches were replaced maybe?
                  Which was possibly & unnecessery outcome.
                  Saves diagnosing I suppose just throw 5 switches at it, problem solved & maybe not a bad course of action, maybe not required as well!

Recently work ute, Triton popping out of 4th gear, out of warranty 6,000k's & few months. Logbooks not even filled out, fixed by MM motors no questions asked. Dealer was advised we did have records of services, which we did. Dealer never asked us to produce the evidence, book was empty.
                  We dropped of the ute, they rung when fixed.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Keithyv
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

Isn't there a 10 year drivetrain warranty as long as it's still owned by the original owner?
                    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                      Isn't there a 10 year drivetrain warranty as long as it's still owned by the original owner?
                      There was on the earlier NWs.
                      I think they also had the 130k/5yr full warranty.
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• JoshF
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                        that was dropped in about 2012
                        NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                        Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• gregp
                          • Aug 2015
                          • Adelaide

Thanks for your replies all. Should I be worried about oil sodden braid around the air hose coming out of the turbo and on the other side? See photos below - first is coming out of the turbo, the other is underneath the car on the passenger's side, I am assuming exiting the intercooler and going to the engine.

The hose on the turbo was loose enough for me to pull and slide it a bit, so I assume the hose clamp just needs tightening and that there's a slight air leak, and that there is some oil in the air. But it just seems quite a lot of it? Is this normal or a problem? Other than this and the 4LLC lights, the rest of the car was in reasonable nick mechanically.

Thanks guys,

Greg
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gregp; 07-12-19, 11:00 PM.
                          NW Platinum 4M41

Comment

• drgtr
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by gregp View Post
                            Thanks for your replies all. Should I be worried about oil sodden braid around the air hose coming out of the turbo and on the other side? See photos below - first is coming out of the turbo, the other is underneath the car on the passenger's side, I am assuming exiting the intercooler and going to the engine.

The hose on the turbo was loose enough for me to pull and slide it a bit, so I assume the hose clamp just needs tightening and that there's a slight air leak, and that there is some oil in the air. But it just seems quite a lot of it? Is this normal or a problem? Other than this and the 4LLC lights, the rest of the car was in reasonable nick mechanically.

Thanks guys,

Greg
                            Normal on turbo diesel. Its typical blowby from the positive vent crank.
                            Hence people install oil catch cans to collect that

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Best to replace the normal hose clamps on the turbo hoses with these;

Available from Adelaide Belt and Hose, Repco in Adelaide keep a limited range.

You need to measure the diameter of the hose carefully as this type of clamps has quite a specific working range so it is important to get the correct size clamps. Inlet and outlet hose diameters will likely be different.

OJ.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X