Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 03-05-08

Default Oil Change Today

Today I treated my DiD Pajero to an oil change of Delo 400 Multi grade oil. Up until now the engine sounded that their was noisey lifters & needed to be adjusted, even after a service from Mits it was still as noisey.

Thanks to the threads on this forum I've chosen the right oil & my Pajero doesn't sound like it's going to drop a lifter.
3" Lovells/Bilstein
3 Exhaust
Winch
NP 05 DID
Old 04-05-08
Valued Member

sounds like you have a noisey Tappet, no different engine oils will cure this your tappets need to be re adjusted correctly, preferrably by a deisel mechanic.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

DID has solid lifters. The adjustment procedure is fairly easy to follow if you think they are unduly noisy.
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

yes true, all deisel engines have whats called solid lifters compared to petrol driven engines that have hydraulic lifters unless like we did in the hot up car days of fitted solids ect ect . my reason for mentioning having a deisel mechanic adjust the tappets is many petrol guys adjust tappets by turning the engine over by hand until the say first tappet is free rocking and then they will adjust this with the feeler guage. the best way to adjust these are with the engine warm and running with the correct size feeler.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

Out of curiousity how much did you pay for the delo 400? I priced it at the caltex servo in Coffs Harbour and he wanted $42 for 5l.

Priced it at the local store in Glenreagh and I get it for $28.65 for 5l. The only problem is he only gets 3-4 containers of it at a time and takes forever to more in.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

these days you don,t buy oils from the servos unless you really need a top up, they rip you off something bad [ just like fuels ] one small example is i did buy a small container of 2 stroke oil from my local servo at $5.05 went to supercheap autos a few days later and noticed this same oil was $3.85. sorry i can,t say what your deisel oil costs but your supplier should get more in [ stock ]
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psproule View Post
DID has solid lifters. The adjustment procedure is fairly easy to follow if you think they are unduly noisy.
Just a litle info
The Pajero has roller followers, used for low noise and wear the setting is
.1mm Intake and .15mm for exhaust
muzza
2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
Old 05-05-08
Valued Member

I have the old forum thread (pdf) with photos of the valve adjust - just PM me.
Old 06-05-08
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
yes true, all deisel engines have whats called solid lifters compared to petrol driven engines that have hydraulic lifters unless like we did in the hot up car days of fitted solids ect ect . my reason for mentioning having a deisel mechanic adjust the tappets is many petrol guys adjust tappets by turning the engine over by hand until the say first tappet is free rocking and then they will adjust this with the feeler guage. the best way to adjust these are with the engine warm and running with the correct size feeler.
Not all diesels have solid lifters.

And you definitely do not adjust a DID with the motor running. As Muzza said - the term is actually roller followers and the clearance is adjusted one by one with a feeler gauge with the engine stationary.
Old 06-05-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay68au View Post
Out of curiousity how much did you pay for the delo 400? I priced it at the caltex servo in Coffs Harbour and he wanted $42 for 5l.

Priced it at the local store in Glenreagh and I get it for $28.65 for 5l. The only problem is he only gets 3-4 containers of it at a time and takes forever to more in.
peejay68au Hope your sitting down for this!!! I priced a 5Ltr $49.90 then a 20 Ltr drum for $153.60 so between the two evils I purchased the 20ltr drum.
Everything is priced over the top here, so next trip back to the coast I'll grab a few drums {lets hope its cheaper on the coast}
3" Lovells/Bilstein
3 Exhaust
Winch
NP 05 DID