Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by SilverTrevally View Post
    I have tested this well known fact.
    Cool. Post your test results.

What is your fuel economy when you're not using your air conditioning?
    What is your fuel economy when you are using your air conditioning?
    What was your fuel economy when you were using your air conditioning before you had your window tinting?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• SilverTrevally
      • Aug 2016
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Cool. Post your test results.

What is your fuel economy when you're not using your air conditioning?
      What is your fuel economy when you are using your air conditioning?
      What was your fuel economy when you were using your air conditioning before you had your window tinting?
      I'm satisfied that my results have proven this well known fact and don't think it should be a surprise. I've got better things to do so I'll leave you to test this out for yourself - ur probably the best person to convince you. All the best mate.

Comment

• greig
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • kanwal

Originally posted by SilverTrevally View Post
        I'm satisfied that my results have proven this well known fact and don't think it should be a surprise. I've got better things to do so I'll leave you to test this out for yourself - ur probably the best person to convince you. All the best mate.
        Don't you love it when someone asks you to put up your "facts", but in reality, it was just a lot of hot air !!

Unless it was done under controlled lab conditions, I'd defy anyone to come up with figures one way or the other ??

Maybe with an old HQ Kingswood, but modern cars air cons are that efficient, the difference is that miniscule that the difference of 2 fuel pumps while refilling would make any figures useless !!

Comment

• SilverTrevally
          • Aug 2016
          • Melbourne

Edit by admin: Posts such as this won't be tolerated.
          Last edited by SilverTrevally; 30-08-17, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• greig
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2010
            • kanwal

Wow, a whole year to think of a reply !!

If you are gonna make claims, but then don't want to back up those claims, why waste peoples time in the 1st place ?

Comment

• chamst
              • Dec 2018
              • Perth

Spot01 Spot On

Thanks Spot01

I rang a Tint-a-Car workshop here in Perth and was told the privacy glass blocked FA UV and heat and he recommended clear UV film for rear windows and Octane 20% for front.
              I smelled a rat so I then researched on this forum and seen your post showing the Mitsubishi Australia "Cut Rates of UV Rays" table.
              I then rang another Tint-a-Car workshop with this extra information and after initially recommending the whole car she told me that if the manufacturer gives UV blockout rates then not worth applying UV film to rear windows. She also told me the 20% is illegal, which I had worked out after parsing this forum too. So this lady was much better than first guy but STILL she tried to defraud more money for some basically useless (other than slightly higher UV filtering) clear film.
              So the members who said that most tint businesses are unethical, you are 100% correct. Not only am I told bullshit about the UV cutout rate but I was encouraged to go illegal on the front driver/passenger windows.
              Thank you guys for all the tips and information on this thread, especially Spot01.

Cheers

Comment

• vladguan
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by chamst View Post
                Thanks Spot01

I rang a Tint-a-Car workshop here in Perth and was told the privacy glass blocked FA UV and heat and he recommended clear UV film for rear windows and Octane 20% for front.
                I smelled a rat so I then researched on this forum and seen your post showing the Mitsubishi Australia "Cut Rates of UV Rays" table.
                I then rang another Tint-a-Car workshop with this extra information and after initially recommending the whole car she told me that if the manufacturer gives UV blockout rates then not worth applying UV film to rear windows. She also told me the 20% is illegal, which I had worked out after parsing this forum too. So this lady was much better than first guy but STILL she tried to defraud more money for some basically useless (other than slightly higher UV filtering) clear film.
                So the members who said that most tint businesses are unethical, you are 100% correct. Not only am I told bullshit about the UV cutout rate but I was encouraged to go illegal on the front driver/passenger windows.
                Thank you guys for all the tips and information on this thread, especially Spot01.

Cheers
                My wife's outlander has privacy glass as does my pajero. Mine has the clear film over the privacy glass and hers does not. There is noticeable difference between the two. Kids complain of stinging arms in her car but not mine. She has 35% on the front two doors and I have 20%. However, the 20% in the pajero does not look darker than the 35% in the outlander.
                Please call me Vlad.
                -----------------------
                MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• chamst
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Perth

Thats interesting vladguan.... seems to be some arguments as to whether the privacy glass is UV blocking or not. Since you have the Pajero and the wife has the outlander, maybe the Pajero was blocking from factory and the Outlander was not ? i.e. You have added the clear UV film but maybe it was mostly blockinganyway ? Seems strange that a few guys have confirmed the MMAL claims as to 95% UV blocking. Anyway, I will tint the front windows and see what happens. I'm sure if that information is wrong I can always go back and have UV film installed on the rear windows later.
                  Thanks for your feedback... I will keep an open mind for sure.

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by chamst View Post
                    Thats interesting vladguan.... seems to be some arguments as to whether the privacy glass is UV blocking or not. Since you have the Pajero and the wife has the outlander, maybe the Pajero was blocking from factory and the Outlander was not ? i.e. You have added the clear UV film but maybe it was mostly blockinganyway ? Seems strange that a few guys have confirmed the MMAL claims as to 95% UV blocking. Anyway, I will tint the front windows and see what happens. I'm sure if that information is wrong I can always go back and have UV film installed on the rear windows later.
                    Thanks for your feedback... I will keep an open mind for sure.

What privacy glass helps is privacy and some heat (infra-red) block. The outlander's glass is made by the same company that makes pajero glass.
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• kod10
                      • May 2014
                      • brisbane

$280 for the Mitsi dealer to tint the front two windows on a new car, is that a fair deal?

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by kod10 View Post
                        $280 for the Mitsi dealer to tint the front two windows on a new car, is that a fair deal?
                        While you are at it, get them to clear tint the rears with UV film. Makes a big difference. They don't tint it themselves anyway.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------

Comment

• bsperka
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Carindale

Originally posted by kod10 View Post
                          Get an independent quote directly from a tint firm. They'll most probably be significantly cheaper and give you a better quality product.

Comment

• kod10
                            • May 2014
                            • brisbane

Thank you, much appreciated.

Comment

• Pushbike
                              • Jun 2017
                              • Sydney

Getting windows tinted

On a trip north in a hired Kombi camper van a side window was broken. I was remote from a Volkswagen spare parts supplier.
                              So I obtained a role of Contact Adhesive film. As the window was largely intact although totally crazed I covered the inside and out side with the adhesive film.
                              Subsequently obtained a new window, kicked out the old, almost intact, little to clean up and replaced.
                              So...Has anyone had a tint film window breakage and did it hold together until it was replaced?

Also I recently purchased a role of "clear" adhesive film, suggested use for book covers, cost about $2 from Big W. I think I will carry the remainder as emergency windscreen repair.

By the way, it's raining and I had to stop painting the house.
                              Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                              Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• erad
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Cooma NSW

We had the rear window of my wife's Magna smashed when a spring from the tilt-a-door broke under very high tension and flew around the garage. If was years ago, but from memory, the window stayed intact - we just couldn't see out of it. The film held it together although when they cleaned it all out, there were millions of glass fragments left over.

A word of warning - don't get the windows tinted with a fill too dark. Yes - it is nice to block the sun, but it can also block vision of a B Double about to hit you from the side in poor visibility conditions. We got the rear windows on my wife's Outlander tinted with the darkest legal tint, and when it cam to my Pajero, we opted to have a much lighter tint all round. My fading memory tells me that the Outlander had 70% blockout for the rear windows and 50% blockout for the front driver's and passenger windows. We used the 50% blockout for all the Pajero windows.
                                Last edited by erad; 27-04-20, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X