• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

Shackle Side Loading, Something to think about

The Crosby Group is the leading manufacturer of rigging, lifting, and securement hardware, with brands such as Crosby, Gunnebo Industries, Crosby Straightpoi...
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

• Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Thats why you should always use a shackle with a greater rating than what is needed. 4wd often means winching or pulling at different angles on a shackle. same as when it is connected to a pulley or recovery point. Large shackles might look like overkill on some jobs but at least they should do the job comfortably..

Good reminder for everyone ....
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Great info. Thanks for sharing .
      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

With proper set up, in most cases you should be able to avoid side loading a shackle when recovering stuff.
        Shackles are rated for lifting plus have a decent safety factor built in. When used in recovery situations with a winch (slow and steady) a rough estimate is that you can almost double the capacity of shackles etc.
        Snatch recoveries are a bit different due to the forces imparted at the time of the snatch due to the somewhat impact type loads
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

I wonder if this test has been done on the synthetic nylon connectors we are seeing entering the 4wd market.
          Where a vehicle has to be pulled sideways, either by immediate "snatch" procedure or by slow exerted pulling forces i.e. with a winch.
          It maybe a case that the nylon synthetic only being used for basic vehicle recovery and not for more complicated scenarios.

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

I would be more than happy to go even larger on my shackles for towing the van but the holes in the tow bar and associated safety chains only allow a certain diameter pin through, thus limiting me to a shackle of a certain load limit

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X