• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2freeq
    • Apr 2011
    • Wollongong

DPF Temp Sensor Faulty?

If a DPF temp sensor reads 70 degrees and the other 2 temp sensors in the exhaust read 20 degrees (which is ambient temp), Does that mean the DPF temp sensor is fried?
    Currently Own
    - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!
    - 2006 NP 3.8L - Alloy bullbar, Spotlights, Ironman 2" lift, UHF, AT tyres

Previously Owned
    - 1992 NH 2.5L TD - Bullbar, Winch, Roof basket, UHF, AT tyres
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by 2freeq View Post
    If a DPF temp sensor reads 70 degrees and the other 2 temp sensors in the exhaust read 20 degrees (which is ambient temp), Does that mean the DPF temp sensor is fried?
    I don't recall the other to sensors, but if its reading 70deg when cold, then it sounds faulty. Didn't you have an error that said that?
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• 2freeq
      • Apr 2011
      • Wollongong

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
      I don't recall the other to sensors, but if its reading 70deg when cold, then it sounds faulty. Didn't you have an error that said that?
      I have a P1499 code and car is in limp mode i think (very gutless). The DPF exceeded 900 degrees apparently. I brought a scan tool to clear the engine light but it turns straight back on again. So i tried to initiate a DPf regen to try and clear the engine light and it just fails when i try to initiate it. I'm thinking if the temp sensor is stuffed thats why it wont do the dpf burn as its in limp mode.

I've just ordered a new DPF temp sensor so i'll install that at hope that was the problem.
      Currently Own
      - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!

Previously Owned

Comment

• rgrubby
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2018
        • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by 2freeq View Post
        I have a P1499 code and car is in limp mode i think (very gutless). The DPF exceeded 900 degrees apparently. I brought a scan tool to clear the engine light but it turns straight back on again. So i tried to initiate a DPf regen to try and clear the engine light and it just fails when i try to initiate it. I'm thinking if the temp sensor is stuffed thats why it wont do the dpf burn as its in limp mode.

I've just ordered a new DPF temp sensor so i'll install that at hope that was the problem.
        Hopefully the new sensor fixes your problem.

I wonder how the ECU knows the sensor is damaged. I'm sure I have read on this forum that others have used a resistor in place of that sensor after removing the DPF. They used a resistor to simulate 600deg so when the ECU would initiate a km based regen it would think the DPF was up to burn temp. In that case the temp would always read 600deg, so I don't see why your sensor reading a bit high would actually be an issue for the ECU to keep erroring on (from memory yours still showed 400-500 when driving?) unless it kept hitting 900deg
        Just thinking out loud
        2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• 2freeq
          • Apr 2011
          • Wollongong

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
          Hopefully the new sensor fixes your problem.

I wonder how the ECU knows the sensor is damaged. I'm sure I have read on this forum that others have used a resistor in place of that sensor after removing the DPF. They used a resistor to simulate 600deg so when the ECU would initiate a km based regen it would think the DPF was up to burn temp. In that case the temp would always read 600deg, so I don't see why your sensor reading a bit high would actually be an issue for the ECU to keep erroring on (from memory yours still showed 400-500 when driving?) unless it kept hitting 900deg
          Just thinking out loud
          To be honest, i have no idea. Im clutching at straws. I was considering the resistor thing but couldnt find any information about what resistor etc to buy. People only seem to give half the info needed.

i was just going to drop the car off at Mitsubishi and say fix it but im giving it one last shot. this sensor is the final straw. if this doesnt fix it ill send it too mitsubishi.
          Currently Own

Previously Owned

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

There use to be a member on here called Stoneman that was quite knowledgeable on the DPF systems on the NS pajero, unfortunately it seems though he has not been on here by the looks of it since December though. A PM to him might get to him .
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Ky1e
              • Aug 2015
              • Muswellbrook

Thread bump..

I've PM'ed stoneman, but can anyone with his resistor mod please tell me what the resistance value is of the two resistors that would be great, thanks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X