• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rightback
    • Jul 2019
    • NSW

Hi,

I’ve started to fit my OCAM platform following the awesome guide posted by Wongapaj. So far, I’ve replaced the factory rails with the OCAM rails and hope to attach the platform this weekend.

I’m just wondering what others have done regarding fitting the bolts on the middle brackets. There doesn’t seem to be any space to fit my hand around to hold the nuts in place while I tighten things up.

I haven’t done a lot of car modification work in the past, so just wondering if I have missed some pretty obvious way to do this?

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
      • Jan 2019
      • Ulladulla

Originally posted by rightback View Post
      Hi,

I’ve started to fit my OCAM platform following the awesome guide posted by Wongapaj. So far, I’ve replaced the factory rails with the OCAM rails and hope to attach the platform this weekend.

I’m just wondering what others have done regarding fitting the bolts on the middle brackets. There doesn’t seem to be any space to fit my hand around to hold the nuts in place while I tighten things up.

I haven’t done a lot of car modification work in the past, so just wondering if I have missed some pretty obvious way to do this?
      FOr the centre socket I just used an extension piece on my socket wrench. The nut sat inside the socket while i tightened it from above. Then my hand was well away from the airbag etc.

When fitting the platform i had the bolt coming from underneath and the nut on top. I cut down an allen key so that it was shorter than usual (the short end) and that gave me more clearance under the rack (since it is tight). You can hold the bolt up with the allen key and then tighten from above. Loosely fit all the bolts before tightening anything as it's a perfect fit to the side bars so not much margin for error. I found once all the nuts/bolts were loosely fitted i didnt need to hold the underside of the bolt for the final tightening. I could just tighten from above with a drill without having to relocate the allen key hole underneath (which is a pain given limited clearance to the roof).
      2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• rightback
        • Jul 2019
        • NSW

Originally posted by DAVIDHHH View Post
        FOr the centre socket I just used an extension piece on my socket wrench. The nut sat inside the socket while i tightened it from above. Then my hand was well away from the airbag etc.

When fitting the platform i had the bolt coming from underneath and the nut on top. I cut down an allen key so that it was shorter than usual (the short end) and that gave me more clearance under the rack (since it is tight). You can hold the bolt up with the allen key and then tighten from above. Loosely fit all the bolts before tightening anything as it's a perfect fit to the side bars so not much margin for error. I found once all the nuts/bolts were loosely fitted i didnt need to hold the underside of the bolt for the final tightening. I could just tighten from above with a drill without having to relocate the allen key hole underneath (which is a pain given limited clearance to the roof).
        Thanks a lot David! That really helps.

I like the shortened Allen key idea, I was thinking earlier today that I could use sticky tape to hold the bolts in place...

I’ll give the Allen key a try and let you know how I get on!

Cheers

Comment

• rightback
          • Jul 2019
          • NSW

Just an update.
          I bought some “stubby” Allen keys and a “deep” socket.

That seems to have worked well.

Overall, allow best part of a day for the full install.

Comment

• GCrane1982
            • Mar 2018
            • Wynn Vale , SA (Adelaide)

I have just ordered one of the OCAM flat racks for my NS and after reading this thread I am concerned with the clearance between the rack and roof to be able easily fit and remove a roof top tent, mainly having enough access to reach and tighten the bolts from the underside.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this or any opinion on how easy it would be to mount a roof top tent with the limited clearance? I don't normally keep the roof top tent on the car all the time and like to be able to remove it and store it when not in use.

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
              • Jan 2019
              • Ulladulla

It may not be of any help but i have just cut out some small sections of the mesh in strategic locations which gives me easier access where i need it for different fittings. But i don't run a roof top tent so no first hand experience on fitting one of those to it...
              2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• CERadventures
                • Jun 2020
                • Gippsland, Victoria

Regarding the clearance of rack to fit roof top tent although mounted to NW.

I currently have an OCAM flat rack with ‘backbone’ mounts also. Fitted to this is a hard shell RTT. I found on first install my mounting bolts just interfaced with the paint on roof when tent was occupied. To remedy this I have packed the rack to backbone mounting by about 12mm with hard rubber cut to size. This has gained appropriate mounting clearance from roof paint and ever so slightly increased access, albeit in my circumstance think ‘permanent’ installation (mega pain) to remove without first lifting rack from car (I can get to front mounts but rear mounts are maybe 40-50cm in from rear).Sits beautifully snug though. I did look at packing further to increase access for removal/install of RTT but opted for lower overall height.

Would be interested to hear how you go.

Comment

• discodave555
                  • May 2020
                  • Canterbury

Originally posted by GCrane1982 View Post
                  I have just ordered one of the OCAM flat racks for my NS and after reading this thread I am concerned with the clearance between the rack and roof to be able easily fit and remove a roof top tent, mainly having enough access to reach and tighten the bolts from the underside.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this or any opinion on how easy it would be to mount a roof top tent with the limited clearance? I don't normally keep the roof top tent on the car all the time and like to be able to remove it and store it when not in use.

I put an Ocam roof rack on a few weeks ago. Fairly easy to install however the clearance is very limited.
                  I have been attempting to put my RTT on top, but have hit some issues, there simply is not enough clearance to get the bolts etc underneath.
                  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
                  Dave

Comment

• hartski
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by discodave555 View Post

I put an Ocam roof rack on a few weeks ago. Fairly easy to install however the clearance is very limited.
                    I have been attempting to put my RTT on top, but have hit some issues, there simply is not enough clearance to get the bolts etc underneath.
                    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
                    Dave
                    Tack the rack off, put the RTT on, have some friends help lift it up and position, then bolt all to car in one go.

Comment

• LordViykor
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Yeppoon

I'm thinking of putting the OCAM rack on my Pajero, just curious as to how others who have fitted it are finding them. Has anyone found any issues with them at all?

I was originally considering the ARB one, when I seen the price compared to the OCAM one I rethought the ARB one,
                      2020 NX GLS, TPMS, Vlad TC mod, EVC (iDrive) throttle controller, ARB awning and alloy roof rack, spare tyre lift, Maxxis AT811 tyres, KAON rear shelf rack, cargo barrier and rear door table.

Comment

• oldmate
                        • May 2012
                        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by LordViykor View Post
                        I'm thinking of putting the OCAM rack on my Pajero, just curious as to how others who have fitted it are finding them. Has anyone found any issues with them at all?
                        I hit the go button on one yesterday, will let you know how it goes.
                        MY21 NX Pajero
                        a few mods to come !

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by LordViykor View Post
                          Plenty of people have them & i haven't seen anyone winge about them as far as failing,

Excellent really for the price compared to others.

Just my two cents worth,

see Jaffles thread, he pointed out they bolt to plastic at the back to the roof, i've confirmed this to be the case & if you watch the you tube install closely you'll pick it up.

The rails/ backbone rust, no big deal, but if it was me before i fitted them i would paint them to give bit longer without rust.

If you don't drop the roof lining good chance you may crease the lining mid point fitting.

They state don't tie to mesh, it is alloy mesh so that does make some sense & i have no idea how often its fixed to pipes?

Heaps of people complain the gap between mesh & vehicle roof is very close, mke it difficult anyhow to tie to mesh.

The one i'm leaning towards when i can afford it, is this one & its 3 times the price, OUCH

Download the fitting instructions, for an off the shelf rack, once fitted i reckon it's not coming off for most realistic jobs

All brackets are powder coated stainless steel

Wreck a rail somehow, you can buy one rail

Haven't worked out if the foot rails are stainless, but i'm sure they would be minimum powercoated/ less rust.

Made in South Africa not China

Drawback is it is gold plated & i have to save up big coin , It's expensive.

But long after the pain of the purchase passes, hopefully it will serve me well for many years?

For tie downs 8mm bolts fit the rails & you can buy Eye bolts easy enough, example here

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• EthanBG
                            • Jul 2021
                            • Victoria

Hey guys, just installed the ocam flat platform rack with the rails that fit the pre existing holes, was I ment to put some sort of silicone around the middle bolt hole that goes into the roof??

thanks.

Comment

• saj
                              • Aug 2010
                              • Northern Nsw

Thought I'd bring this thread back up. Ocam have put up a very detailed youtube vid on how to install the backbone rails to a pajero. Has anyone mated these rails with a Rola titan tray??
                              ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDdibs4rHI
                              2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• MitchGreggas
                                • Apr 2022
                                • Tasmania

Looking at purchasing and installing the tradesman’s rack from Ocam. Does anyone know if I’d still fit into a 2.1m car park?
                                Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X