• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Seat screws to base on vertical metal, and can't adjust more than maybe 10mm, so not worth it. I had that idea before pulling it out.

This one being wrecked in Bowral is an NJ, the owner thinks, so I might just grab the drivers seat and give it a try

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

You never know, 10mm might just be enough to make you feel more cumfy.
      Free at any rate and worth a shot I reckon
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

I need a fair bit more than that. Plus the holes end up to close together with the only room to move there. I was tempted, but looking closely at it I was worried it would weaken things

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

just saw last night a NL with older NK seats in it --- certain they went back a good 3-4inches more than mine --- and they are a direct bolt in
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

That's awesome, thanks Stu. Appreciate you checking that for me. I'll grab the seats of this other guy

Comment

• brw0513
              • Apr 2018
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
              That's awesome, thanks Stu. Appreciate you checking that for me. I'll grab the seats of this other guy
              And how did it work out Disco Stu?
              Ian B
              1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Originally posted by brw0513 View Post
                And how did it work out Disco Stu?
                Have to look for another source for seats. Hoping to look at the wrecker this weekend

I realised it's so bad that my knees are at the same level as the steering column.I've got to shimmy into the car, going to drive me mad on long drives

Comment

• Aspey
                  • Dec 2015
                  • Great Southern Land

Hi Disco Stu, I only just now saw this thread. I had the same problem when I brought my NP, it was uncomfortable to drive with my knees stuck either side of the steering wheel (made braking awkward) and I was contemplating selling the car if I couldn't find a solution. After a lot of ringing around I was able to find an engineer who modifies cars for disabled people. They were able to extend the seat rails approx 3-4 inches, now the car is comfortable to drive. They were in Melbourne.
                  NP VRX DID

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Thanks for that. Good to know it's possible.

I actually just spoke to engineer close to me. Cost wise for certifying my own work will likely be around $300, so if an earlier seat works it will be a lot cheaper.

Comment

• Alex86
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Here and there

Having another think.. I wonder if a GLS/exceed type leather seat would work?
                      It is electric though, not sure how you’d go about getting around that for adjustment..

It seems like I sit “lower” in a GLS than I do the escape. Parents GLS has the leather seats. I’m wondering if the base padding is less bulky; and in turn if the back padding less bulky, than compared to the cloth seats. This might give you a little more room?
                      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Thanks, another option to look into.

Just got back from wreckage trying for a seat with no luck. The other 2 Putin's I had here for cars being wrecked are both gone, so it looks like I'm either going to have to find anther option or be patient

Comment

• stumagoo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                          Having another think.. I wonder if a GLS/exceed type leather seat would work?
                          It is electric though, not sure how you’d go about getting around that for adjustment..

It seems like I sit “lower” in a GLS than I do the escape. Parents GLS has the leather seats. I’m wondering if the base padding is less bulky; and in turn if the back padding less bulky, than compared to the cloth seats. This might give you a little more room?

Nope thats what I have (NL captains chair)and they have heaps less movement than an older NJ NK style seat ... and yes they are heaps bulkier
                          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Just looked at my previous reply-Putin's!! That was meant to be options, just translated in Swype to something incomprehensible

What even is a captains chair-the ones with arm rests?

Hopefully found a seat about half hour from where I work

Comment

• Lazarus
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Melbourne, Western suburbs

There is a company in Melbourne (Sunshine area) which does seat alterations including moving seat back.
                              According to them engineering certificate is not needed if the seat is moved up to 5cm, or they got approval to move it that much. Any more than that they need certificate.

They extend the rails on seat base so you basically are able to slide the seat 5cm further backwards, which is a lot.

They do all those seat modifications for mobile speed camera operators.

I have done few cars with them as I am 6’7 tall.
                              NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• disco stu
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2018
                                • Wollongong

So you're one of those guys that I have to look up at! I read somewhere else about certain states allowing 5cm without certificate. The nsw rms documents say that any modification needs certification here, but I haven't phoned technical services...not sure if I'll bother though as they don't know what they're talking about

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X