• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiwi downunder
    • Feb 2014
    • Adelaide

Coolant boiling on engine shutdown

Hi,
    I had my PB challenger serviced some months back and have to top up the coolant a couple of times when I had an overheat due to re-use of old hose clamps and a couple of different leaks found.

Problem:
    When I turn the engine off the coolant starts to gurgle and boil into the overflow bottle..... I have never noticed this before/ is this normal. This has been happening for a couple of weeks plus now.

I used what was probably a different coolant to top it up, The coolant still looks good without apparent thickening (at the cap), Driving temperatures when warm are at 96 degrees. (If I can trust 'Torque Pro' preset PID)

Any ideas/ recommendations..
    I have tried to look at how to flush the system/ coolant change but I cannot find where you drain the block.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 05-03-20, 05:15 PM. Reason: more data
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

According to the Service Manual there is no engine block drain plug on the 4D56 engine.

From the Service Manual;
    4.Drain the engine coolant in the water jacket by disconnect the engine oil cooler water feed hose of the engine oil cooler <4D5>

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
      • Feb 2014
      • Adelaide

Cheers OJ,
      I have looked at this and I cannot figure out where this is exactly... not much room with the air hose oil filter in the way. Has anyone taken pictures. Hard I know, as little to no room.
      I've tried to look for video on line as well.

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

96 is about 10 - 15 degrees too hot IMHO.
        Something not right there.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2009
          • South Africa, East London

Are you taking it easy the last kilometer or two before stopping at home?

Working the car hard and then quickly shutting down will cause bubbling.

Do you have the correct ration water to antifreeze?

Radiator fins clean?

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk
          1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
          2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
          2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
          2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

Oil cooler (ribbed cylindrical thing) sits behind the alternator and the coolant hose is in the gap between them (and lower down).

If you go to the driver's side wheel arch and remove the rubber flap then the hose will be virtually in front of you (but lower down).
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Coolant temperature should be close to ambient temperature after the engine has been off for 8 to 10 hours and sitting overnight. Is Torque Pro calibrated correctly?

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Mmmm,

Sounds bit like exhaust gas pressure releasing into your overflow bottle.

Head gasket & or head issue??

There are test kits you can use to check. We use them at work.

Something like this, cannot recall the exact brand we use

Peter Maher - The Man Behind Liquid Intelligence Instant Phone Advice You can call Peter now on 1800 441 163 or 02 8188 2060 (7am to 7pm seven days a week - including public holidays - except Christmas Day) for a chat about product and application information or to simply purchase Liquid Intelligence.
                Last edited by Jasonmc73; 05-03-20, 08:18 PM.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                  • Feb 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Coolant temperature should be close to ambient temperature after the engine has been off for 8 to 10 hours and sitting overnight. Is Torque Pro calibrated correctly?

OJ.
                  Yes, ATF & coolant temperatures are at/ near ambient when cold about 3 degrees difference.

Comment

• Keithyv
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

Challenger has an issue right with this very problem?
                    Is your car one of the affected ones or has it already been addressed?
                    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                      • Feb 2014
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                      Oil cooler (ribbed cylindrical thing) sits behind the alternator and the coolant hose is in the gap between them (and lower down).

If you go to the driver's side wheel arch and remove the rubber flap then the hose will be virtually in front of you (but lower down).
                      Awesome, thank you, that's where I though but couldn't figure it out, this helped a lot.

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                        • Feb 2014
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
                        Are you taking it easy the last kilometer or two before stopping at home?

Working the car hard and then quickly shutting down will cause bubbling.

Do you have the correct ration water to antifreeze?

Radiator fins clean?

Yes radiator fins are clean, and yes its a hard push uphill to home and I shut it down fast (been doing it for years), I have discovered It is alleviated by me restarting and letting it idle a while,
                        I have had to top up the coolant because of a poor service and hose clips not replaced/ loose.... I have since read that this is a big no no to mix coolant.... so its a coolant change/ flush coming up for me next stop.
                        Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 05-03-20, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
                          Yes radiator fins are clean, and yes its a hard push uphill to home and I shut it down fast, I have discovered It is alleviated by me restarting and letting it idle a while,

I have had to top up the coolant because of a poor service and hose clips not replaced/ loose.... I have since read that this is a big no no to mix coolant.... so its a coolant change/ flush coming up for me next stop.
                          Let it idle a bit before shutdown. You are saving the turbo as well by idling.

1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                          2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                          2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                          2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                            • Feb 2014
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                            Challenger has an issue right with this very problem?
                            Is your car one of the affected ones or has it already been addressed?
                            If you mean they changed the coolant ratio and put a higher pressure cap on to fix a design flaw, then yes it has been addressed some years back (If you call that a fix), but I have since changed service agent (bad bad move) so coolant ratio could be wrong, I need to change it ASAP anyway, (as I have mixed coolants when I topped it up)

Comment

• KevL
                              • May 2015
                              • Murphys Creek

Coolant boiling on engine shutdown

This sounds very much like the cooling system/block surface finish problem that thousands of these engine had. Off to Mitsubishi.

If you put green coolant in with green coolant you’re fine. The gelling problem occurs when ethylene glycol coolant( green) is mixed with some GM coolants (orange)
                              Some other types shouldn’t be mixed, but they don’t gel. The best bet is don’t mix colours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by KevL; 05-03-20, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X