• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

Dobson River Valley, New Zealand South Island

I hope you'll enjoy this video. It includes footage captured with both my GoPro and Mavic Pro drone, edited with Corel Video Studio. The video is of my family departing from the Dobson River Valley a few days ago. The Dobson River Valley is one of NZ's more remote river valley's - a truly beautiful and isolated place.

Video shows my family heading out from the Dobson river valley in New Zealand's South Island mid July (winter) 2018. The hut shown, at which we spent a nigh...
    2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

great vid ...a truly amazing adventure ... thankyou for sharing

was gonna ask what drone and front facing cam then you show'd it .. DJI Pro ? and was it a GOpro ?

Music by Tool ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• kiwi1973
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • New Zealand

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
      great vid ...a truly amazing adventure ... thankyou for sharing

was gonna ask what drone and front facing cam then you show'd it .. DJI Pro ? and was it a GOpro ?

Music by Tool ...

DJI Mavic Pro and GoPro Hero Session 5. Both can film in 4k.

For the first time I was trying out some new ND filters that I got for the drone to improve filming performance, but I don't think I managed to improve things this time, as I was probably using the wrong filter and had the white balance set incorrectly. I have much to learn. Colours didn't look great and I ended up doing some colour correction with the editing software to try to improve it. I'm novice with filming and editing, but working on improving my skills with every video I make. In past videos I've made when I've been flying the drone manually the footage had been choppy. I've since changed settings in the drone to improve this, though in the footage you see in this video the drone was flying itself on auto pilot just about all the time, and it can fly itself smoother than I can fly it. That it can fly on auto and keep the car in frame as a target so competently means that it really wasn't that onerous to use the drone to collect this footage.
      2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• NJV6
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • New Zealand

Nice one, how far up did you get?

I have driven to Reardon Hut a few years back. Got pretty rough near the top.
        Attached Files
        1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
        1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
        2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Every time you post one up I'm in awe of the landscape....And bloody snow too!

Cheers. Thanks for posting.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• DGM
            • Oct 2007
            • SE Melb

Excellent

Excellent footage and amazing scenery. Thanks for sharing.
            Duncan
            ------------------------------------------------------
            MY21 NX GLS not much done to it yet, catch can, uhf

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, ARB Bar, Warn winch, IPFs, Dual Bat, GME TX3440 UHF, Custom rear storage, BFGs, Suspension upgrade

Comment

• insect_eater
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Canberra

Thank you. Truly awesome scenery - we don't have mountains like that here. Also great to see another family fitting everything into the Pajero - something that i'm trying to perfect.
              NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• NJV6
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • New Zealand

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                Every time you post one up I'm in awe of the landscape....And bloody snow too!

Cheers. Thanks for posting.
                Shane the Sharkcaver, why don’t you ship your vehicle over and let a couple of us show you these places, spend 6 weeks in the South Island youd see a lot! The whole island is only 900km long!

I love your videos so I guess it’s just the scenery and experiences you grow up with that you become accustomed to.
                1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• kiwi1973
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                  Nice one, how far up did you get?

I have driven to Reardon Hut a few years back. Got pretty rough near the top.
                  We got as far as Kennedy Hut and spent a night there. Nice wee hut in a sheltered location, as seen in the video. I had read that it gets rougher beyond Kennedy Hut and thought it probably wouldn't be best to try to take the family too far.

However, a year ago I left my partner behind and took a mate and a couple of our kids a good way up the Havelock river valley, to just across from St Winifreds hut and it was pretty rough up there. In that valley it seemed the rocks got bigger the further you went until essentially they were small boulders.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                    Shane the Sharkcaver, why don’t you ship your vehicle over and let a couple of us show you these places, spend 6 weeks in the South Island youd see a lot! The whole island is only 900km long!

I love your videos so I guess it’s just the scenery and experiences you grow up with that you become accustomed to.
                    Hmmmm, long service is a year and a half away. Reckon you could handle an aussie for 3 months

Dunno about shipping the paj over though.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

Very very nicely done.

Is there some wonky frame rate going on or is some of this footage sped up a little?
                      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• kiwi1973
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • New Zealand

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                        Very very nicely done.

Is there some wonky frame rate going on or is some of this footage sped up a little?
                        Oh it's definitely sped up. On average the video is playing at 3x real speed. I do this in order to fit in more footage whilst still keeping the total video duration to around six minutes. Six minutes is a bit arbitrary, but I feel that to keep a video interesting to watch it needs to not be too long, yet still portray a much longer time period of action. I.e. several hours of action condensed into just a several minutes of video.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Great vids. I,m still amazed that you dont need 35 inch tyres, 6 inch body lift and 12000lb winch to get to these places!!! (sarcasm, mate). Went to NZ many years ago...certainly spectacular scenery. Too bloody cold now though.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            Went to NZ many years ago...certainly spectacular scenery. Too bloody cold now though.

Grew up in NZ have lived in both NI and and SI and spent a few years as a plumber getting helicoptered into the Southern Alps to do Hut maintenance --- could not say it better than above.... thats one reason I live over here now
                            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• NJV6
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • New Zealand

I went on holiday to port Douglas once. And Africa a couple of times. Too bloody hot for me. Bottom of the South Island for me!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X