• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tez
    • Oct 2007

Which shocks

Hi everyone,

I think my NH is in need of some new shock absorbers to make it a bit more tame to drive on the road. I believe its got the original shocks in there so its due to be replaced.

At the moment, I am looking at just replacing the shocks only, with a view later on down the track to possibly raise it. Can I just replace the shocks now and springs etc later?

Also, what would people recommend in terms of brand? A mechanic Ive spoken to said Bilsteins, or for something a bit more budget, then KYB have a good one (unsure on the models though).

Thanks.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Can't go past Old Man Emu Nitrochargers for that model. To get a bit of a raise just crank up the torsion bars. They're bound to have sagged a bit if all is original.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

Yes as mrbitshi said, those old man shocks were great on my NH but make sure you get the torsion bars set at there correct levels to your vehicles specs.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• tez
        • Oct 2007

I'll price up some OME's, Koni's, KYB's and Bilsteins.

With the torsion bars, the Gregory's manual says to measure the distance between the bump stop to the bump stop bracket and adjust to specs (21-23mm). Is this method the best way to set the torsion bars at the correct levels, or use the ground to wheel arch as a guide.

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Ground to wheel arch is bad. The tyre can give you a crook reading. Either use the bump stop method or measure from the bottom of the rim to the wheel arch.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• tez
            • Oct 2007

Just if anyone is interested, I got a price for Bilsteins today, $374 a pair. I'll price up some other brands before I make my final decision.

Comment

• Ranger J
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by tez View Post
              I'll price up some OME's, Koni's, KYB's and Bilsteins.

With the torsion bars, the Gregory's manual says to measure the distance between the bump stop to the bump stop bracket and adjust to specs (21-23mm). Is this method the best way to set the torsion bars at the correct levels, or use the ground to wheel arch as a guide.
              Throw KYB's out the window - they are sh**

OME's are the way to go. They were fitted to my paj upon purchase, though I changed them at the start of the year for a set of konis. Before they became shagged (due to wear and tear) they were on par with the 'superior' koni's, albeit at a lower cost.

Cheers,
              Jayden
              NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• kfet
                • Jul 2007

I certainly wouldn't get Bilsteins again! I've been massively disappointed by mine as they appear way too stiff. With an empty car I find it almost completely unsuitable for gravel roads. It starts loosing traction at moderate speeds and it becomes terribly uncomfortable after only a short stretch of such roads.

At first I thought there must have been something else wrong with the suspension. Pedders installed them and replaced all balljoints and several bushes in the process. They blamed the horrible ride on the shocks.
                I didn't wanna believe this as I did my careful research both on this and other forums and found that bilsteins were among the most popular shocks for IFS 4wds. But after one of my colleagues installed adjustable tough dogs in his cruiser I got to experience a ride at the hardest setting - exactly like my pajero! It picks up every little crack in the road and is unsuitable for anything but soft sand.
                I keep thinking that I should take the car in to Bilstein in Botany/Mascot to see what they think of it. But haven't gotten around to that yet...

On the positive side though it gives the car a responsive, go-cart like feel on the road. And I know that I'll never EVER be able to bottom out these shocks! And who knows, maybe they'd be great if I load up the car with a ton of gear and four passengers?

But for general use they don't work - at least not on my car! Would like to see what the Bilstein fans have got to say about this...

Comment

• The Paj
                  • Feb 2008

I recently fitted OME springs & shocks for a 1" lift and am rapt with the performance . I have a little creaking noise from time to time that I can't quite put my finger on, but other than that no complaints.

The Paj

Comment

• tez
                    • Oct 2007

Kfet, thats not good to hear about the Bilsteins. I might give the guys a call and see what they think of them. Im sure they are probably better suited to more offroad than on road duties. Mine is mainly used for the bitumen and I'll start to do some light 4x4 work in it.

The Paj, do you have a price on the shocks for a pair? Im only after shocks in the rear at this stage as Im certain they are the original shocks in there

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • doncaster east vic

kfet being bilstiens you can have them revalved softer (at a price of coarse)
                      take them in and talk to them and they will put you on the right track im sure
                      Back from the Dark side
                      NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X