• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEVMASH
    • Feb 2012
    • PALMWOODS QLD

Patrol to Pajero

Hi all
    Have been reading this forum for a while now but this is my first post. Iv'e jumped ship from the patrol 4x4 forum.
    I currently own a 2003 gu Patrol. Great car but i'm a bit worried about the zd30 motor after all I have read about them.
    I am planning a trip to the kimberleys next year and i don't want to be worried if i am going to melt a piston or something all the way.
    Have been reading around forums of different makes and models of 4WDs and the Pajero seems to have by far the least major common problems of them all. I have owned quite a few 4WDs over the years, a few nissans a couple of land rovers and even a subaru and i must admit i never really considered a pajero. The more i read on this forum the more i like them.

I plan to sell the patrol and use the money to buy a nm/np diesel pajero and do a few mods if it dosn't already have them. ie. bullbar, snorkle, dual batteries, 50mm lift.

I would love the 3.2 but don't know if the dollars will stretch far enough, so i was wondering about the 2.8. Iv'e read somewhere that they are a bit underpowered (not that i want a sports car, i just want to be able to overtake safely if the need arises). I only tow a camper trailer.
    So i'm looking for advise from those in the know. What do the 2.8 owners think?
    Looking forward to your replies. Keep up the good work on this forum guys.
    Thanks in advance
    Kev
    2003 NP 3.2 DID, 50mm king/bil, ARB bulbar, snorkel, duel batteries, uhf, hid spotties, 70lt down under fridge, 55lt senco fridge, storage unit, roll out awning bushskins sump & trans plates.
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Welcome to the forum Kev, I can't speak for the 2.8 in the NM except to say a mate has 1 & tows a Jayco Outback van & hasn't any complaints.

In saying that the 3.2DID is the way to go...
    (in my opinion).

And going from the Patrol to either you'll find them far more comfortable on road & with the mods your talking of getting very capable off road too..

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Ha! I like to spy on the Patrol forum. Forgive me but it's entertaining watching ZD30 owners who didn't research (read forums) before buying one write for their first post "Hi, I bought a GU with a ZD30 and recently it made a loud noise, blew clouds of smoke and stopped dead. Now I need a new motor and Nissan wont help at all, has anyone else had this happen." Again - apologies. I'd probably have one if it wasn't for the same concerns as you.

I dont own a 2.8 but having driven a couple could I politely suggest that the 3.2 is probably closer (or slightly better) in terms of performance than your ZD30. I'd imagine the 2.8 to be a bit of a disappointment in comparison. The 3.2 is strong, very reliable if you change the top timing chain guide, good on fuel and a good tow truck. The driveline isn't quite as strong as your GU though. If you can find the coin for a later one with traction control it will go 99% of places your GU would.

I wouldn't mention this in the patrol forum though.

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• MikeG
        • Jan 2012
        • Western Australia

Stretch the budget as far as possible and go for the 3.2 DiD ( I did) . The one and only problem with mine that it's the wifes! Well she does have our 3 young sons to ferry around during the day. I get to drive a CE lancer to work every day. woo hoo

Comment

• BrisVegas
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2009
          • Townsville, QLD

I've got a 2.8 and I reckon it has similar performance to my mate's GU3 after driving both. ie. goes well enough to keep up with traffic etc. The Patrol is a fair bit heavier, which takes a bit of the sting out of the motor. I don't reckon I'd choose a 2.8 if you were towing all the time though. I reckon a tonne of camper would really slow it down. When I bought mine, 3.2 Pajeros were still $20k+ and I couldn't afford that. Might be some cheaper around now though.

Good luck in your search.
          'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• likatiger
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • WAMBERAL NSW

Simple, go the 3.2.
            NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• KEVMASH
              • Feb 2012
              • PALMWOODS QLD

Thanks for all the replys . Think i will go for the 3.2. Will have to see if I can find one with at least some of the mods already done. Im in no great hurry so I can look around a bit.

Hi Pat
              I know what you mean about the patrol forum, it was spending a lot of time reading on there that made me really nervous about the zd30.
              It was reading about one a while back that went bang even after having all the nads (nissan anti detination system) done that made me stop and have a good think about it.
              After reading this forum for a while I really think the Pajero is the way to go. I wish I had of read this forum a couple of years ago before I bought the Patrol. Well live and learn hey.
              cheers
              Kev
              2003 NP 3.2 DID, 50mm king/bil, ARB bulbar, snorkel, duel batteries, uhf, hid spotties, 70lt down under fridge, 55lt senco fridge, storage unit, roll out awning bushskins sump & trans plates.

Comment

• Haydos
                • Oct 2009
                • Bayswater North

Kev, I would have thought that if you sold the GU you could pick up a 3.2 Diesel NP Pajero and still have some coin left over for some goodies.

My inlaws have a 03 GU that went bang on their way back to Melbourne from Cairns. $13000 repair bill on top of the couple grand they spent less than 12 months earlier to rebuild the turbo. Althought the Paj may have a few issue, it is nothing like the Patrols.
                2009 Challenger XLS - Auto, Hankook ATM 265/65R17

To Do: Bullbar, Rear Storage, Suspension

Comment

• KEVMASH
                  • Feb 2012
                  • PALMWOODS QLD

Hi haydos,
                  I feel for your inlaws. Thats a huge amount of dollars to come up with and nissan don't want to know about it. Unfortunatley it's a story you hear much to often with the zd30. It puts a big black mark on an otherwise great vehicle.
                  Did your inlaws keep the gu or palm it off as quick as they could?
                  Cheers
                  Kev

Comment

• onallfour
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2010
                    • Camden, Sydney

I drive a 2008 patrol diesel for my work car with 190000km on it but NOT with the original engine or turbo. They went at about 140000km mark in a big cloud of smoke and pistom 4 had a hole in it. The patrols are way too troublesome and underpowered (118kw and about 350nm) and 2500kg+ is too much for them to push around. The pajero 3.2 wins by far on the power to weight ratio and in the comfort and options too.
                    Last edited by onallfour; 20-02-12, 09:32 PM.
                    Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• wongapaj
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Wonga Park

I now drive a 3.2 NT coming from a 3.0 CRD GU and it's like driving a V8 in comparison. One test drive and I was sold!
                      NT 30th Anniversary, 3.2 Diesel, Manual, Black, Tinted Windows, HID Lo & Hi, MM Towbar, Prodigy P3, Stebel Horn, MMCS Override, Scangauge II, Dual Battery, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ORU12 Winch, IPF HID Driving lights, UHF, Diff Breathers, D697s, Airtec Snorkel. HD Suspension, Bushskinz

Comment

• saj
                        • Aug 2010
                        • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by onallfour View Post
                        I drive a 2008 patrol diesel for my work car with 190000km on it but NOT with the original engine or turbo. They went at about 140000km mark in a big cloud of smoke and pistom 4 had a hole in it. The patrols are way too troublesome and underpowered (118kw) and 2500kg+ is too much for them to push around. The pajero 3.2 wins by far on the power to weight ratio and in the comfort and options too.
                        Isnt that the CRD model??
                        2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• Bundyk
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • North Nowra

Hi Kev,

Dont know if this will help, but here it goes.

I have a 2001 NM V6 with 200,000km and my Father-in-Law has a 2002 NM 3.2Di-D with 280,000. Off the mark the V6 is a little quicker, but from a rolling start, i reckon the diesel would have me, it has so much torque compared to the V6. If you plan on towing i would say go the 3.2.
                          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• saj
                            • Aug 2010
                            • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by wongapaj View Post
                            I now drive a 3.2 NT coming from a 3.0 CRD GU and it's like driving a V8 in comparison. One test drive and I was sold!
                            I agree with ya on that one. My GU was a manual and a slug. I love the Auto
                            Paj. I'm very happy ..
                            2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• onallfour
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • Camden, Sydney

Originally posted by saj View Post
                              Isnt that the CRD model??
                              Yes it is CRD and manual. It is a real PIG. No wonder patrol rated poorly in Overlander 4WD of the year. Gutless and no options compared to competitors in my opinion. I do drive the DX poverty pack Patrol but im sure the poverty pack pajero would be better
                              Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X