Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Week Ago

Default NP Diesel not starting

Hi, does anyone know if the diesel has a fuel shutoff valve of is it all controlled by the pump? My NP suddenly decided not to start. It was running fine then wonít start. It didnít die but when I got back to it from the shops it will crank but not start. I had this happen once before and I think I had a airlock in the filter as it was loose. But that doesnít seem to be the problem this time. There isnít fuel coming out of the injector lines when I crack them open. I assume Iím up for a new pump but wanted to check everything else first.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I wonder if it might be the immobiliser?
Have you tried your spare key?
Have you checked the pump fuse?
Does the manual pump get pressure?
Blocked filter?
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoplesvic View Post
Hi, does anyone know if the diesel has a fuel shutoff valve of is it all controlled by the pump? My NP suddenly decided not to start. It was running fine then wonít start. It didnít die but when I got back to it from the shops it will crank but not start. I had this happen once before and I think I had a airlock in the filter as it was loose. But that doesnít seem to be the problem this time. There isnít fuel coming out of the injector lines when I crack them open. I assume Iím up for a new pump but wanted to check everything else first.

Trying the simple stuff 1st, try priming your fuel filter................ Good luck with it!
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
Trying the simple stuff 1st, try priming your fuel filter................ Good luck with it!

Agree..when finished hand priming and the engine fires and maintains power and drivability, then you have a problem of fuel flowing back to the tank..air leak somewhere in the line from the filter to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago

So the car is running again and I didn’t really do anything to get it going. It stopped about 2 in the afternoon and I tried it at 7:30 and it started. I have checked all the fuses I could under the bonnet. I have had it scanned for codes and none came up. The scanner was capable of reading the engine sensors in real-time with the engine runnings and it wasn’t displaying any issues. I have tried all my sets of keys and nothing seems to be different between any of them. It did stop the next day after I had been driving it all morning. It had the same symptoms. But this time it started after 20min and only when I had my foot flat on the floor. Drove it home and it didn’t seem to be down on power.
Again no codes are showing on the computer.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoplesvic View Post
So the car is running again and I didnít really do anything to get it going. It stopped about 2 in the afternoon and I tried it at 7:30 and it started. I have checked all the fuses I could under the bonnet. I have had it scanned for codes and none came up. The scanner was capable of reading the engine sensors in real-time with the engine runnings and it wasnít displaying any issues. I have tried all my sets of keys and nothing seems to be different between any of them. It did stop the next day after I had been driving it all morning. It had the same symptoms. But this time it started after 20min and only when I had my foot flat on the floor. Drove it home and it didnít seem to be down on power.
Again no codes are showing on the computer.
If not already done,I suggest reading all the threads re pump - if caught early there may be less damage?
Old 5 Days Ago

So I have an update on this, the car has spent the day at the mechanic getting a diagnosis. It comes back as everything is great. There are no codes showing for them. They checked the immobiliser and while I have 3 keys only 2 are registered so I guess one is a clone. The pump does everything it’s supposed to. Even under driving conditions with live reading. They said is basically a waiting game to see what the live readout says when it won’t start. I’m going to replace any fuses and relays associated with the pump in case it’s a electrical gremlin. But I’m kind of stuck until it won’t start again. And see what a preemptive pump rebuild is worth. Oh while on the drive they said it had heaps of power and was one of the better running engines they have seen in one.
Old 5 Days Ago

So it is turning over but not starting reliably?

Pretty strange. I'd be replacing fuel filter aswell when you try and iron out any electrical gremlins. Pretty sure there is one in the tank aswell as the engine bay.
Old 4 Days Ago

yeah it cranks fine, the one time i checked, there was no fuel coming out the injector lines. I'm leaning towards a electrical issue, but i'm still trying to find confirmation that there is a fuel cut soliniod on the pump. I think that may be the issue. no fuel in = no go.
Old 1 Day Ago

it might be the crank angle sensor. next time when it doesn't start, pour some water onto the harmonic balancer to cool the sensor down and if it starts after that then it will most likely be the CAS