Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 1 Week Ago

I find long low range hill climbs, such as Billy Goats Bluff track in the High Country will not get the transmission hot at all. That track isn't difficult but it is long and steep. Last week the trans temp topped out at 93 degrees. It gets much hotter on long hill climbs on the bitumen, where the speeds are higher but obviously not high enough for adequate air flow. That has me rethinking the large spot lights bolted to the bullbar.
2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension
Old 1 Week Ago

This doesn't change any of the recommendations above but virtually all vehicle temperature gauges are "normalised", meaning that if the operating temperature is within the acceptible range, the gauge sits mid point and doesn't fluctuate. This stops anxiety to drivers who would otherwise worry about the rising and falling temperature shown on the gauge. However, the downside is, if the temperature gauge starts moving up, stop immediately as you are starting to do damage already, as indicated by OJ.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTBenny View Post
The Auto-mate doesn't operate below approx. 40kph though is that right?
Benny.
Note quite.
In 2H DRIVE it switches back to DRIVE below 30 kph an unlocks the TCC to avoid the 1 gear quirk.
In 2H SPORT, it doesn't switched back to DRIVE below 30kph if you are in 1st or 2nd gear. (ie engine braking or climbing steep hills)
In 4LLc SPORT, it doesn't switch between DRVE and SPORT as the quirk doesn't happened in low-range. Instead it operates when above about 1600-200RPM in 2nd gear or above - speed isn't a consideration.
In 4LLC DRIVE - doesn't lock the torque converter - you're always best using SPORT mode when in low range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen1 View Post
Question, what is considered the upper end of safe temps for the transmission? At what point does the warning light come on?
Light comes on at 147degC. The oil starts degrading at 125degC. This is the upper limit before you should take action to reduce the temperatures.

Quote:
No, it operates lower as long as the engine isn't struggling and you have it set to operate in second, which is the default. It won't operate under a certain (user set) transmission temperature, measured in the pan, not the pipe. Mine is set at 50c but once it turns on, the trans temp can go below that setting and it still works.
Once warmed up (at set point) it keeps operating until 5 degC below the set point. It will then deactivate, and let the temp climb back to the set point before activating again.

Quote:
I find long low range hill climbs, such as Billy Goats Bluff track in the High Country will not get the transmission hot at all. Last week the trans temp topped out at 93 degrees
This wasn't my experience at all - mind you were were driving on very hot days. Before I had my lockup kit installed I hit temps of 130 degC - yes - above the 125degC limit mentioned above, but when you're in convoy with others who have lockup-kits you kinda don't want to hold up the group. (this was before I developed lockup-mate)
Once the heat gets into the trans it take a long time to get it out again. So, after the 1st hill you may be ok, but after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th the trans oil got really hot.
I did a video of lockup-mate being used when climbing billy-goat. The 1st half with the lockup-kit off, and the second half with it turned-on. During the second half, the transmission actually cooled down. I should post this video one day
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks Marshall.

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, dual batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent catch can, EGR disabled, Auto-mate TC lockup, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & Bendix 4WD pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB and Scangauge II.
Old 1 Week Ago

I've started to wonder if the Torque Pro app is measuring the trans temp properly at all. I've noticed that at even at relatively high temps that once the converter locks up the measured or reported temps drop significantly within seconds. I remember way back when i set up the app that there was a question somewhere about whether the formula given was for the Aisin or Jatco transmission. Might have to do a little more digging. Anyone have a quick link for the correct setup for my NX?
2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

If the coolant temp and trans temp are equal or within a few degrees of each other first thing in the morning you are probably ok.

There was talk on here about if you are using F-50 for the equation try F-40 or vise versa.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
I've started to wonder if the Torque Pro app is measuring the trans temp properly at all. I've noticed that at even at relatively high temps that once the converter locks up the measured or reported temps drop significantly within seconds. I remember way back when i set up the app that there was a question somewhere about whether the formula given was for the Aisin or Jatco transmission. Might have to do a little more digging. Anyone have a quick link for the correct setup for my NX?
It's normal that the temp drops quickly. When you think about it, the temp you are measuring is from the outlet pipe and this is higher than the temp of the oil in the pan when the TC isn't locked. So as soon as it locks, it's not heating the oil anymore and that cooler oil comes from the pan and out of the pipe almost immediately.

At least, that's how I understand it to be.

I think the talk about F-40 or F-50 was for an Ultra Gauge, I'm not sure if that also relates to Torque.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...26&postcount=3
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

There’s a lot of confusion around how to setup your device for transmission readings.
I wrote a guide to help.
In simple terms, JATCO = f-40, ASIN trans = f-50
see here
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available