Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Default Why we have bash plates.

A while ago i had a walking speed impact with a big rock while crossing a creek. I had put a small dent in yhe bash plate. I managed to pick up another factory plate (gen3) but never got round to fitting it. A few weeks back i managed to get a cheap 2nd hand set of bushskinz.

So today i decided to fit the bushskinz...

Plate comparison gen 4 factory plate with damage is the black one.

Some damage to the intercooler. No boost issues. But still not good.

While i was at it i had a look around underneath and found some new wear and tear that was not there last month (steering rack boots). And steering rack info.
The boots look like they could be originals. If so the lasted 13years/260,000km.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago

No doubt about it, if you go off road then bash plates are required.

I hit a rock hard (well I will take the blame anyway) on the munja track a few months which put a fair size dent in our 4mm transmission steel bash plate. Easily fixed with a sledge hammer when we got home.
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Modified Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Cheap HID Spotties, Koni shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar, HPD Catch Can, Dash Cam

To go where very few have gone before

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
Old 1 Week Ago

Changed the boots on my NM a couple of months ago. The originals are two different sizes/lengths. Got replacements from Repco but they only have the larger size. I just slide it on a bit further on the rack end for the short side.
This is what I did so I didn’t have to get a wheel alignment.
Mark the locking nut and the tie rod end. Wound the threaded rack end out of the tie rod end. Measured from the nut to the end of the thread. Removed the lock nut and replaced the boot. Put nut back on thread to the previous measurement. Wound thread back into tie rod end. Line up marks and tension.
Tyres still wearing evenly.
That aftercooler doesn’t look good. Is the oil leaking from it also?

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto.
Basically Stock. 180k.
Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto.
Basically stock. 350k.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Thanks scooby, exactly what i was going to do for the boots. Ill probably get an alignment regardless thought.

Im not sure if its oil, i didnt really check. I installed a catch can at around 235000km, first mod i did. Given the amount of carbon build up in the inlet manifold it is entirly possible that oil could leaking out of the bottom of the intercooler. Im asuming there was not a catch can previously installed.

Last edited by Seigried; 1 Week Ago at 10:42 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

...intercooler is stuffed. I suspect you will start blowing black smoke and loose power. The oil is the stuff that gets "recirclulated" through the system from the breather, unless you have a catch can fitted. Between this and the EGR is why our manifolds get blocked up!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Ive been driving around for about 18months since i hit the rock. The car is not rolling on coal thought. Certainly the intercooler will be running below 100%. Mind you i suspect even without the dent it will have oil in it. Ill have to get under the car again and have another look to see if its oil or not.