• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cafey18
    • Aug 2018
    • Bathurst NSW

NT 3.2 Runs out of fuel ?

Any opinions please !
    Our Nt 3.2 stopped while driving. Drained the fuel filter no water and pumped up fuel and it runs fine but then runs out of fuel after a short while. Sometimes it will run and rev normally for a few minutes then start to hunt and finally stop.
    Fitted a new filter and no contamination found in old filter. Checked all lines and connections back to tank and all appears ok.
    When you check the hand primer pump it needs pumping up again.
    Anyone experienced this ?
    Cheers Cafey.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

If the fuel filter bowl is not seated correctly and the bottom drain not fully closed then it will leak air, as it is a suction system.
    The fact that you prime with the hand pump until hard then engine runs for short time and then hand pump requires priming again leads me to this thought.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• cafey18
      • Aug 2018
      • Bathurst NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      If the fuel filter bowl is not seated correctly and the bottom drain not fully closed then it will leak air, as it is a suction system.
      The fact that you prime with the hand pump until hard then engine runs for short time and then hand pump requires priming again leads me to this thought.

OJ.
      Thanks old Jack but this all appears good ! I went straight for the sucking air somewhere option as well. Can't find anything though. Thinking it might be a return valve or the like failing ?

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

It is possible your fuel lines post filter are due for replacement. Take a look at the filter to pump line and check for cracks that run perpendicular to the hose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Could be in tank filter.

Comment

• cafey18
            • Aug 2018
            • Bathurst NSW

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            Thanks BruceandBobbi that will be the issue. That all lines up nicely.
            Cheers Cafey

Comment

• cafey18
              • Aug 2018
              • Bathurst NSW

Just some feed back regarding this post. I put 40 litres of diesel in the tank, primed up at the filter and drove it home with no problem. So new in tank filter will be ordered today ! Thanks everyone for your help and comments, it sure makes diagnosis a lot quicker.
              Cheers
              Cafey.

Comment

• christopher
                • Mar 2012
                • Chidlow W.A.

That filter generally comes into effect when tank gets below 1/4 full so if you need to keep using the car until you get time to replace it just keep tank above 1/4 and it should be fine.
                Happened to me.
                Last edited by christopher; 11-11-19, 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
                2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X