Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default NP Air-con thermo fan, serviceable?

Hi guys,

Has anyone serviced their front air-con thermo fan? Mine is making a hell of a racket and sounds like the bearings are shot.
I once asked a mechanic if they are serviceable and he said no, they are a press fit design and can't be serviced.
I took him at his word and never bothered to pull mine out to even inspect the unit.

Has anyone ever tried to service the unit?
Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 265/75R16 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Iím not sure what fan you are talking about. If you mean the fan under the dashboard that is controlled by the knob on the dash Ö mine was running slow a couple of years ago and the air con bloke took it out, just cleaned and lubricated it. Iím not sure if the bearings can be replaced, but I havenít had a problem with mine since he did that.

Cheers
Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I think he means the fan at the front of the radiator that turns on when air con is on.

I personally doubt if the mechanic would actually know, it's not like they would try and service the fan itself, they would just replace. Wouldn't hurt to pull it off and have a go. I've fixed countless things that "are not repairable" purely because I give it a go
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Iíve removed mine in the past and lightly sprayed some silicone oil in and onto the obvious locations. Doing so made it quieter. It is large and moves a lot of air so is quite loud when running, but there is no worn bearing noises on mine even though she has seen many water crossings over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Thanks guys,

Yes I was referring to the large fan on the front of the air con heat exchanger.
I guess I will just have to bit the bullet and pull it out and have a look. I was just being a little slack.
Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 265/75R16 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive