Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Oil leak, drivers side. Head gasket?

A few days ago noticed a small oil puddle on the ground. Bash plate wet with oil. Bugger; this is something quite new as there hasnít been any oil dripping before...

Gave it a quick degrease and wipe down; and thereís more oil dripping out a day later.

Mechanic has had a look and is fairly certain itís the head gasket rather than cam seal (timing cover not removed or anything like that, it was a general look when up on the hoist etc to see if thereís anything really obvious).
That kind of sucks- Iím going to chat to a couple more places and see what this might set me back if Iíve got to go down this head gasket road.....

Iíve seen oil on the bottom of the exhaust manifold, drivers side, all the way between front and rear of the manifold, and all bottom exhaust bolts covered in oil (top ones dry). The forward exhaust pipe seemed to have a bit of oil coming down it, the others didnít.
Oil on the aircon lines behind the alternator.
Maybe oil on top of the alternator but couldnít tell if itís new or just old built up gunk and maybe a little spillage from prior fillings ages ago.
Obviously the oil then works itís way down over other brackets/structure/lines etcetc making the whole general area a bit of a mess.
Rocker cover looks dry as; unless itís from the very front under the timing cover that I canít see.
Looked under the little timing cover piece at the top on the drivers side as mentioned by MTN-KAT in this Gen3 thread about a similar leak where I just mistakingly posted this whole thing (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum....php?t=10225); nice and dry... I couldnít tell if thereís a small seal leak but my eyes arenít trained however nothing blatantly obvious to me anyway.

Timing belt kit replaced December last year.
Rocker cover gaskets done mid 2017 if I remember correctly.

Iíve given it another degrease and wipe down as best I could this morning and will continue to monitor. A stop leak additive has been mentioned that I could try and see what happens; but Iím not sure about these things.....
I guess Iím quietly hoping itís under the timing cover. Still, it wonít be cheap but thatís preferable over the head gasket!!!!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

What leads the mechanic to think its a head gasket rather than cam seal if the leak is coming from behind timing cover? Its not like it never happens, but not as often as a seal going. If there is oil leaking from the head gasket not behind timing cover then that's a different story
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Cannot remember word for word, but he reckoned there was a clean gap between the back of the timing cover and where the oil was showing up around some head gasket area and getting on the exhaust studs- ie not coming from the back of the timing cover and working its way over the engine that way. He couldn't see any actual drip/leak source when he checked.
Maybe it was the real quick spray and wipe I did getting some bits clean and others not? I don't know.

HOWEVER!

on further looking after a much more detailed clean up of a bunch of areas, well, have a look at the attached images.

First one, with the metal pointer thingo, is just an overview to show where im talking about. This is above the alternator, looking down on it, from the front of the car
2nd image, zoomed in on the above.
3rd image, well, you can see the oil coming out. A little dribble comes out every so often when the car is revved and let back to idle.

4th & 5th are looking through the little piece of (removed) timing cover at the cam. Couldn't get a great quality photo sorry. Is that what you'd call a leak or is that just a normal little weep for that sort of seal and how it works? I don't know.. I'd expect to see wet oil flung around or drips/drops etc, but you can't see the bottom 2/3 of the thing....

But it seems more like a cam seal leak based on where that dribble is coming out from.
If I had the ability id rip the front off and try replace the seals etc, but I cannot unfortunately. So it would involve having to get someone to pull it all apart on a hunch that its the seal....

This has been a product suggested that could be tried. I'm always wary about additives in oil and coolant (no basis for that, other than I don't know anything about them). Is it worth trying or just don't even touch this/similar stuff?
https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-flu...0ml/p/A9558773
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3833.jpg (70.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3834.jpg (108.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3835.jpg (81.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3836.jpg (61.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3838.jpg (65.1 KB, 17 views)

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Last edited by Alex86; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:25 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I've just gone through this. Mine was leaking drivers side onto to front manifold bolt then down onto the alternator (alternator is now whining) also have a look if there is any oil leaking from behind the harmonic balancer
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Because Im me I always chuck a bottle of stop leaks in every second or third oil change ( ok when I see it on special ) cant hurt and haven't had any drips yet
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I believe that stop leak stuff is something that softens the seals so they work properly again. I spent a bit of time looking into the rubber softening thing ($20+ for pcv valve rubber seal-same price as actual valve, absolute rort). There are products out there that soften those rubbers, so it's very reasonable that the drop leak products for seals do what they say. You can check the msds for hinted about what's in there as well
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Thanks all.

I guess with the rubber softening stuff, Iím concerned that could it introduce a leak somewhere else by softening already-good seals??
For $40 itís a cheap attempt at seeing if the stuff works- but i wouldnít want it costing me more in the long run!

Also, having less than 10k on the new timing belt means itís a long wait till itís otherwise coming apart and I donít really want to put up with a leak for that long!

If I could take the front off and check myself I would.... not exactly something I want to learn on my own, on the daily driver, to potentially stuff up haha

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Where are you at? I don't think it's too hard a job to get to timing belt

One thing I just considered. Seals were replaced when timing belt was done? If so they wouldn't have hardened, so seal would be either damaged or crooked. Just pondering that the stop leak may well not work in your situation if the seals are new
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Brissy.

I could probably get to the belt, but no further.... if I’m game!

Not sure if the seals were done at the same time- belt was replaced early as the water pump sprung a leak and had to come out- I’d say the belt in there at the time was half life so the seals were probably good and were possibly left in.

Maybe I’ll give the additive a crack. If it’s no good all the extra work will have to get done so no real harm? Oil gets dropped in 2500k anyway. And if it’s no good by then it’ll need proper work....

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I seem to recall that the rocker covers are notorious for leaking. The common problem being either over tightened or not sealed correctly around the cam "hump" corners. IIRC there needs to be a mastic seal in the corners around the cam.

Perhaps try to ensure the seal is sound or better reseal the rocker cover first. Shouldn't be costly and it is accessible.
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread