Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 06-01-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehydrated View Post
My recently purchased NM never came with a factory jack or handle (or toolkit), and I can't seem to find any. I would be interested to see what other alternatives people have adopted as I feel uncomfortable driving around with out a jack.
I got my Pajero about 6 months ago and it didn't come with a jack but it did have a full tool kit and the handle for the jack. I keep a bottle jack in the car its fine for the front wheels but if I get a flat on the rear axle I'm screwed. The jacking point for the rear tyres is the axle and the jack I have doesn't have a groove in it (like the standard Mitsubishi jack).

Any suggestions?
Old 06-01-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BRONZE View Post
I work for a mining company and all our vehicles have trolley jacks, don't buy a cheap one and they will get to the right height (unless your a haulpak) It still amazes me though, you spend shit loads of coin on a new vehicle/4wd and what do you get...crap tools and a crap jack
Is that a recent switch over from hilifts?
I used to work out bush for a mining contractor and we ALWAYS used roo jacks, and the same company still uses them (I checked yesterday). Wondering if the actual mine sites, or specific companies, have switched away from them due to HSE issues, or if your company simply has always used trolleys for different reasons.
Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar
Old 06-01-10
Valued Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd View Post
A couple of months ago I had the opposite problem in that I couldn't get the genuine Mits bottle jack under the rear jacking point (SWB NS), as the jack was too high when the tyre was completely deflated. Luckily I was on a good firm dirt patch so I got the shovel out and made enough room under it to get the jack in place. I didn't really have a problem getting the jack up high enough to get the old tyre off or the new one on, although I am looking for something better to work the jack than the supplied tyre lever. Come to think of it, I'm looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts as it took quite a bit of effort (i.e. Me jumping on the lever a few times) with the supplied tyre lever.

Bye Jeff.
Hi Jeff. If you are looking for a better way of undoing the wheel nuts then try one of those 12 volt rattle guns that you can get from places such as Repco. I have had one for about 5 years now and use it everytime I need to remove a wheel. Main reason I originally bought it was that the missus would easily be able to undo the wheel nuts if something happened to me and I could not do it - might not be an issue in urban areas but could be life or death stuff in the middle of the Simson. Also in hot weather virtually no manual exertion required - hey I can't help it, I have been a rescue officer for 29 years and have learnt to expect the unexpected and any situation you may imagine is not within the realms of possability, isn't that the reason we buy winches and all that other recovery gear that most of us will rarely ever use? but bet you we have all had to change a tyre or two.
Regards Merv
Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good
Old 06-01-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BRONZE View Post
I work for a mining company and all our vehicles have trolley jacks, don't buy a cheap one and they will get to the right height (unless your a haulpak) It still amazes me though, you spend shit loads of coin on a new vehicle/4wd and what do you get...crap tools and a crap jack
When I bought my NP I had an independant vehicle inspection and the guy told me straight up to throw the bottle jack away and buy a Super Cheap 1.4tonne trolley jack - raises to 343mm. Around $40 if I recall. He uses them and does vehicle inspections all day all over Brisbane. I've tried it out twice at home and it works fine.

Fortunately I don't need the rear seat and the storage well is a great tool box for jack and some hardwood blocks (stair tread offcuts) and a cross brace that fits both the Pajero and the caravan.

Ray.
Old 11-01-10

Default Jacking up the rear wheels....

Mmmm, just read this and I've only ever had to jack up the front wheel and didn't have a problem.

Might have to go out and try one of the back wheels to see if I can get it off the ground with the bottle jack that came with the car (NM Paj.). Didn't realise there was an issue...
Old 11-01-10
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to marcthelegend

The funny thing is, some days it will get the rear wheels off the ground, others it wont, and its always at full height, hmm maybe i will get a trolley jack as well.

When the bottle jack is at full height, it looks rather un-trustworthy

Marc
05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
Old 12-01-10

Send a message via Skype™ to Bernoulli

Well, I just ordered the Hi-Lift accessory that hooks into the wheel to lift it. I plan on using the bottle jack to hold it up once it's off the ground.
Old 12-01-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc View Post
Is that a recent switch over from hilifts?
I used to work out bush for a mining contractor and we ALWAYS used roo jacks, and the same company still uses them (I checked yesterday). Wondering if the actual mine sites, or specific companies, have switched away from them due to HSE issues, or if your company simply has always used trolleys for different reasons.
Exploration mining might be different but you won't get anywhere near a RIO or BHP site with a Hi lift jack...having said that each to their own

Very soon to install...FRONT LOKKA & MANUAL HUBS....Booya!!
Soon to have 1 1/2" body lift, Custom Snorkle, Custom Rock Sliders
Wish to have Custom Bull Bar and Winch
Old 05-05-14
Valued Member

Hi

First trip out and flat tyre with the Challenger. Lucky it was a slow leak so could drive to flat land which on the West Coast of Tassie was some distance. Despite been a car park the supplied bottle jack did not inspire confidence. Given that I has traversed the Montezuma Falls track the day before I would not have trusted the standard jack there, though better than my Falcon one which the vehicle rolled off as the jack bent like a sardine can. Lot to be said for putting the spare under the car while removing a wheel.

I was toying with an exhaust jack but my reading indicates that I am asking for even more trouble. As having no exterior jack points a high lift jack does not appear to be an option.

What does one do when a flat happens and the track will not allow a vehicle with a flat tyre to move to a better spot due to say ground clearance?

Cheers
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 05-05-14

Default Exhaust Jack concerns.

Hi Everyone,
I have a Ridge Ryder exhaust jack, gave it a test the other day and found it very hard to stay connected to the exhaust ( 6g74, nm standard exhaust tailpipe ), to the point I thought I'd save it for another day. ( any worries about engine seals?) I see nobody has posted on this thread regarding the exhaust jack option. Opinions and advice please, re the original thread.
Regards,
Offroaddad.