Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 06-01-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauno View Post
While Staunís are expensive they are handy. By the time you walk around and put one on the 4th tyre you only have to wait a minute or so then the first finishes. Then you just walk around and take them off, put the cap back on as they are all done in the same time. I canít see why some people trash them so much
Mine weren't particularly precise - lucky to be within a couple of psi of the original set point.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 06-01-19
Valued Member

I have used Staun for over 10 years, and although not super accurate, I set them a few psi higher than desired then it only takes another 30 seconds per tyre to drop the pressures the desired level. Quicker, more compact and lighter than an ARB type deflator. I also do not like the valve being removed during the deflation process.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Last edited by old Jack; 07-01-19 at 07:09 AM. Reason: auto spell correct corrected!
Old 07-01-19
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Talking about fear, does anyone have a real world example of an issue with a deflation by removing the valve core? as long as there is no dirt ingress, I cant see the issue.

I'm glad I wasn't one of Hinsch's teachers

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

I go old school, use car key to deflate the tyres. Then check the preassure with the gauge.
Do not like removing the valve.
NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, towbar, spare tyre lift kit, Safari snorkel, Milford cargo barrier, "Bushskinz" and "Basha" bashplates, UHF, Air compressor, SPV EGR Mod, Rhino Pioneer platform, MM Towbar, Redarc TowPro brake controler, 2.5" lift kit by Ultimate Suspension, 265/70/17 BFG KO2 AT LT, Opposite Lock Bullbar, VRS winch, Lightforce Genesis LED driving lights.
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

What is so bad with removing the valve? Done it for years. Quick and easy.
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

More chance of losing the valve core I suppose if you take it out.
Also a valve body is not really designed for the core to be screwed in and out too many times I suppose.
Plus the more you mess with it the more likely it is to leak.

They are my thoughts..
3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

Most times I use one of the ARB type tyre deflators (mine's from Supacentre) which removes the valve. Many others in our 4WD club use them too. I've never seen or even heard of someone losing a valve (it's not really possible using one of these deflators) or cross threading, or valves starting to leak because they've been removed and replaced.

Sometimes I just use the pin on the back of my digital tyre gauge to depress the valve. Whilst the air doesn't escape as quickly, you save time not having to screw the deflator on, screw the valve out, then back in, then remove the deflator. One of these days I should time the two processes to get an accurate idea of which is quicker and by how much. I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. I reckon I will do it then.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Last edited by Merts; 07-01-19 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

On a related topic, I remember as a young bloke being castigated by my tyre dealer at the time for having el-cheapo plastic valve caps.

Unlile the metal valve caps, plastic valve caps do not have an integral seal as a backup in case the valve leaks.

Worse still is to have no valve caps at all, especially in typical 4WD environments where mud and dust can clog the valve &/or compromise the sealing of the valve seat.

Finally, take care with the gear that you are using with your valves. Air chucks, airlines and couplings, deflators, gauges etc should be kept free of dust and dirt and stored appropriately.
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
On a related topic, I remember as a young bloke being castigated by my tyre dealer at the time for having el-cheapo plastic valve caps.

Unlile the metal valve caps, plastic valve caps do not have an integral seal as a backup in case the valve leaks.

Worse still is to have no valve caps at all, especially in typical 4WD environments where mud and dust can clog the valve &/or compromise the sealing of the valve seat.

Finally, take care with the gear that you are using with your valves. Air chucks, airlines and couplings, deflators, gauges etc should be kept free of dust and dirt and stored appropriately.

Need to be really careful using metal valve caps unless the cap is brass as aluminum or steel caps can easily and quickly corrode on tight an you do not have to do a lot of beach driving for this to happen !

Corrosion is galvanic and caused by dissimilar metals of the valve stem and the cap combined with moisture.

There are 2 sorts of plastic caps, the soft type that do not have and internal seal and these should not be used. The hard plastic valve stem caps that have an internal seal are the best and these are what comes standard with new valve stems which should always be changed when fitting new tyres.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 07-01-19
Valued Member

Good points there OJ.

I've removed a bit of the silvery coating on one of a handful of identical metal caps and the substrate has a brassy colour. There's nil attraction to a rare earth magnet so they're definitely non-ferrous. Weight of each item suggests that they're not aluminium.

Inside my unused hard plastic caps there is a flat landing/seat that is part of the moulding and it looks to be fairly uneven. These caps would need to be twisted on tightly to achieve a good seal.