Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 20-07-18
Valued Member

Interesting information kiwi1973. I don't have a ground anchor any type, but I imagine if I did ever get one it would be for sand recoveries. (I'm less likely to lose traction on hard ground in the areas I drive and if I did then there's often a tree to help out.) So far a shovel and Maxtrax have always sufficed for me, but in the situation we recently saw with Sharkcaver at Fish Creek, if you are buried up to your pumpkins in soft sand and time is of the essence (and, unlike with Shane, you are a sole vehicle) then I'm thinking a Lan-Cor might be the best solution. No doubt it takes some effort to sink the auger, but nowhere near what it takes to bury a tyre or the Deadman's apparatus. And you've probably already done a fair amount of digging under the vehicle itself,so I for one would be well and truly knackered. I'd be interested to hear from others who have used the Lan-Cor.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 21-07-18
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ
Just goes to prove we are all different in the priorities we have and choices we make.

It what makes the world an interesting place and this an informative public forum.

After all I drive a Challenger with a Smartbar and Cooper tyres, and drink light beers from cans and red wine from 2 litre Casks when on trips!
I will stop and offer to anyone and I hope someone would do the same for me if I needed it.
All good from this end OJ. I like the fact we can disagree and still shake hands and respect each others thoughts.

As for the challenger, light beer in cans and goon bags, no issues with me. I reckon the challenger is great and goon is my favourite. I could learn to accept light beer I guess

And I would stop to help anyone too and have done so a few times.

Ok, getting a bit off topic so:

I bit the bullet and purchased a deadman today. Along with a factor 55 fid and some winch rope. I plan to make some of my own soft shackles.

The deadman will be useless in soft/boggy ground, but I want a sand solution, both beach and desert.

To add insult to injury, I'm tentatively planning to go back to Fish creek on the 11/12th August and give the deadman a test run. I wont have the soft shackles done by then though.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 21-07-18 at 12:16 AM.
Old 21-07-18
Valued Member

On the one occasion I was bogged in sand and tried to use the Lan Cor it didn't work for me. However, it seemed that there was some sort of solid rock shelf or something under the sand that prevented it going deep enough. I note that some Pajero Club forum members have been impressed with the Lan Cor's sand performance when they did some testing.

My main strategy for dealing with a sand bogging now would be to use a Hi Lift jack with a wheel mate adaptor to lift each wheel up out of the sand and then get some sand and a Tredz (Maxtrax) under there. I think this may be quick and efficient and gives you the option to reverse out if that would be more practical for the situation.
2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.